J-3 Checkouts/vacations

Old August 14th 03, 10:32 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Fly" wrote in message ...
J3 rentals are one of the few that might show a profit.
I checked out renters in a J3 for several years then worked my own J3 for 5
years.
My metro area has about 700k population. Summer rental was about 60-70
hours per month just by word of mouth.

However, THE KEY is you have to have good J3 experienced CFI's to give the
checkouts.
Absolutely positively.
Its more than just being able to work the rudders.
One of my criteria was ability to handle a 10-knot direct crosswind.

I should also mention we were paying around $7000 /year in insurance
for rental. It would have been less for dual only. The insurance co
didn't like hand proping renters. I good J-3 goes for about $35K+ now.
-Robert, CFI