Flight simulator

Old June 18th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default Flight simulator

Dudley Henriques wrote:
On Jun 17, 12:10 pm, Ross wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
On Jun 16, 2:55 pm, haribole wrote:
Hello
Would appreciate any recommendations for a realistic PC based flight
simulator that can be used to learn the principles of flying.
Any experience on using a PC based flight simulator to enhance the
learning experience would be welcome.
Thanks
Hari
There are several desktop sims you could use. As a flight instructor
and an advisor for Microsoft I naturally prefer MSFS. I use their
FS2004 version.
I will also note that I recommend the use of the sim only before
starting actual flight training and after solo; before as a
familiarization tool, and after solo as a procedures aid.
I don't recommend the use of the sim at all during the pre solo period
as it is paramount during this period that control pressures used
flying the actual aircraft in use as a trainer be learned.
Other than this, the sim can be an interesting and useful tool for
learning and entertainment.
Dudley Henriques
MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator 2006-2007
CFI Retired

Hey, Dubley, most know that I have had to sell my airplane and stop PIC
due to medical. It MSFS something that would keep ones interest if I
purchased the control wheel, rudder peddles, etc? I had an instrument
rating and still marvel at the design of these procedures and what can
be accomplished. Now, I am not sure that I want to go as far as Jay did
with Kiwi.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Absolutely! What has been developed for the sim is wonderful and
accurate. Some add on aircraft are real beyond belief. I'm flying an
F86 Sabre right now in FS2004 that is real enough that I could
actually use it as a tool to help check out a pilot in the aircraft.
Take a look at this Sabre if you like.
http://www.sectionf8.com/

I believe there are add on Cessna 182's that the group might know
about that are excellent as well.
BY all means use the sim. It's a great program.
Sorry to hear about your medical. You and I share this together as I
am no longer flying for the same reason.
Best to you,
Dudley Henriques

Thanks, I might have to try that for the fun of it. I promise I will not
become a MXer.....

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 18th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Ross" wrote

Thanks, I might have to try that for the fun of it. I promise I will not
become a MXer.....

Thanks for that, but I don't think you are nearly unbalanced enough for that!

Remember, if it is a pure sim question, the sim group is your best support. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old June 19th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"DH" == Dudley Henriques writes:

DH There are several desktop sims you could use. As a flight
DH instructor and an advisor for Microsoft I naturally prefer
DH MSFS. I use their FS2004 version.

I heard that MS was discontinuing their FS?

--
Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see
only the manifestations.
Old June 19th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Jun 18, 7:51*pm, Bob Fry wrote:
"DH" == Dudley Henriques writes:

* * DH There are several desktop sims you could use. As a flight
* * DH instructor and an advisor for Microsoft I naturally prefer
* * DH MSFS. I use their FS2004 version.

I heard that MS was discontinuing their FS?

--
Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see
only the manifestations.
*~ Tao Te Ching

They have actually. FSX was the last version before they fired the
entire ACES team. (Unfortunate and unwarranted as THAT was)
Many people use FSX with the service packs 1 and 2 and like it. I
happen to like the prior version FS2004 much better than FSX, but
either way, the Microsoft product is out there to use and very much
available.
-DH
Old June 20th 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby[_3_]

On Jun 16, 2:55*pm, haribole wrote:
Hello

Would appreciate any recommendations for a realistic PC based flight
simulator that can be used to learn the principles of flying.

Any experience on using a PC based flight simulator to enhance the
learning experience would be welcome.

Thanks
Hari

Before starting to work on my Instrument Rating in the real world, I
decided to grease the rails by using a simulator. I picked
Instrument Pilot because it has a built in "instructor" and had a good
reputation. I worked through the initial lessons and found them a
bit difficult to pass until I got used to the "plane". I tripped when
I hit the descending turns to a heading. I never could pass that. I
even bought the upgraded version but do it! I gave up.

The same company makes OnTop which gives the pilot missions like fly
to KXXX and watch out for the weather! I have never seen the product
in use but I used to know an ex F-117A pilot that said he zipped
through all the exercises in one weekend with no failures!
Old June 20th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

haribole wrote:

Would appreciate any recommendations for a realistic PC based flight
simulator that can be used to learn the principles of flying.

Any experience on using a PC based flight simulator to enhance the
learning experience would be welcome.

From my personal experience, I strongly believe that for primary
training, PC based flight simulators are not only worthless, but even
counter-productive. What I want a beginner to learn is to get the feel
of the controls, the feel in the butt, to learn to deal with the new
visual perspective and clues and to get accustomed to always have a good
look out in all directions. These things cannot be learned with a PC
based sim, and even worse, it completly spoils the look out, because you
have to focus forward to that tiny screen rather than turn your head in
all directions and look back over the shoulder.

A PC based sim can be very useful for procedure training, be it simple
VFR VOR navigation or complicated IFR procedures, but I strongly
recommend not to use a sim while doing primary flight training.

That said, X-plane has a pretty realistic aerodynamic model while the MS
sim is just a toy. But being a glider pilot, I use Condor anyway.
Old June 21st 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:41:43 +0200, John Smith wrote:

I strongly recommend not to use a sim while doing primary flight training.

....and I strongly disagree.

I think a conservative estimate of how much I saved during training by
using MSFS as a practice tool was about $1,000.00.

--
Dallas
Old June 21st 09, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Dallas wrote:

I think a conservative estimate of how much I saved during training by
using MSFS as a practice tool was about $1,000.00.

Nothing personal, as I don't know you, but how fast you've passed your
check ride doesn't tell the whole story. I've seen lots of pilots who
have never learnt to have an acceptable lookout, who are not able to
judge attitude by reference to the natural horizon, who can't use the
pedals, etc. etc.

As I said, a sim is good for procedure training such as VOR navigation,
which happens to be part of the PP syllabus, so yes, you can save money
there. But a PC based sim not only doesn't help with stick and rudder
skill, it even tends to destroy them. There's a reason why even the
professional (non-moving) sims are called FNPTs.
Old June 22nd 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

John Smith wrote:
From my personal experience,

You're posting anonymously, so everything you posted after that lead-in is
less than useless.

I strongly believe

Facts, not beliefs. If you insist on posting anonymously but still want
your posts to be influential, you might want to consider presenting
testable facts, not your beliefs.
Old June 22nd 09, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Jim Logajan schrieb:

but still want your posts to be influential,

Posts on Usenet influential? :-)