Airport Access Denied?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 4th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Default Airport Access Denied?

We are having trouble at our airport. Our airport, here in Oregon,
USA, is owned by The Port of Hood River, and is federally funded.
It’s a small, uncontrolled airport and on a busy day, probably has
about a dozen non glider flights. We generally fly our gliders on the
windy days, and have the airport all to ourselves. The Port thinks
it's against FARs and/or unsafe to use cars to move the gliders up and
down the taxiways and off of the runway. They want us to use the tow
plane to move the gliders around the airport, and they also are
telling us that no persons are allowed past the hold lines, wing
runners included! These procedures were written by a person at the
Port that isn't even a pilot! We have had no problems with any of the
other planes or pilots, but the Port is trying to make it impossible
for us to operate by coming up with a bunch of ridicules rules. They
keep talking about an FAA Obstruction Free Zone that is 400ft from the
centerline of the runway, where no gliders can be, which disallows us
from staging and parking the gliders next to the take off ends of the
runway.

What I am looking for is a list of public airports where gliders and
power traffic coexist, and descriptions of how the gliders are staged
and moved around. I also think it’s time to get the AOPA involved.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Gary Boggs
www.nwskysports.com