Anti-collision mechanism

Old January 1st 05, 11:56 PM
Don Hammer

On 1 Jan 2005 15:17:49 -0800, "george" wrotD:

I'm a fan of the Mark1 eyeball. It's generally a much undervalued
detector

Take a look at http://www.gulfstream.com/product_enhancement/evs/ and
tell me the bare eye is better. You'll need high speed for the video.

Also, since TCAS has been mandated, there has been only one mid-air
with equipped aircraft and it was because one crew ignored the
warning. (UPS and Aeroflot in Switzerland)

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 2nd 05, 12:04 AM
Peter Duniho

"Don Hammer" wrote in message
Also, since TCAS has been mandated, there has been only one mid-air
with equipped aircraft

How many mid-air collisions of commercial airliners not equipped have there
been? Before the mandate, of course (I assume after the mandate there
haven't been any commercial airliners not equipped, right?).

Pete

Old January 2nd 05, 12:18 AM
James Robinson

Don Hammer wrote:

Also, since TCAS has been mandated, there has been only one mid-air
with equipped aircraft and it was because one crew ignored the
warning. (UPS and Aeroflot in Switzerland)

DHL and Bashkirian Airlines, actually.
Old January 2nd 05, 01:13 AM
Don Hammer

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:18:38 GMT, James Robinson
wrotD:

DHL and Bashkirian Airlines, actually

Right you are - gray matter isn't what it used to be.

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 2nd 05, 01:33 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

And does every aircraft have this system these days, regardless of
size?

No, only passenger jets are required to have them.

The military is starting to equip some of their aircraft with TCAS
also:

The USAF started equipping aircraft with TCAS more than 5 years ago.
Heck, the C-141s equipped with TCAS are already being retired.

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old January 2nd 05, 01:34 AM
Don Hammer

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:04:42 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
How many mid-air collisions of commercial airliners not equipped have there
been? Before the mandate, of course (I assume after the mandate there
haven't been any commercial airliners not equipped, right?).

Pete

Don't know the numbers for sure, but it used to be a fairly frequent
occurrence for airliners to hit small aircraft. Of course the press
always got it the other way around. That's why we have to have
transponders is certain airspace in small aircraft. The TCAS will see
our Mode C.

Seems like everything that ends up being mandated is because something
happened. If memory serves it was a Connie and DC-6 in the 50's that
ran in to each other over the Grand Canyon that caused the ATC system
as we know it. AA in Cali Columbia is why we have EGPWS. ValuJet is
why airliners have to have fire suppression in the baggage hold etc.

All commercial airliners are required to have TCAS II with Mode S
transponders; Commuters (up to 30 seats, I think) TCAS I

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 2nd 05, 02:16 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:34:03 -0600, Don Hammer wrote in
::

... it used to be a fairly frequent
occurrence for airliners to hit small aircraft. Of course the press
always got it the other way around. That's why we have to have
transponders is certain airspace in small aircraft.

Here's the MAC that lead to mandatory TCAS:
http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...13X34444&key=2

Old January 2nd 05, 04:10 AM

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:52:11 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

And now TAWS is surplanting GPWS and EGPWS.

http://www.sandel.com/sandel/files/TAWS_Final_Rule.pdf
http://www.sandel.com/taws_technotes_primer.htm

EGPWS is a trade name (Honeywell product) TAWS is an "official" FAA
acronym.

That would be why you will find the term TAWS widely referred to, and
EGPWS only pertaining to Honeywell systems.

EGPWS is a TAWS system, but a TAWS system isn't necessarily EGPWS.

Regards;

TC
Old January 2nd 05, 05:53 AM
Ramapriya

Bob, guess I didn't frame the Q properly enough.
While I knew about the GPWS and TCAS individually, I wasn't sure
whether TCAS was equipped to deal with purely traffic or whether
accidental straying into terrain would also be taken care of.
I'm asking this because I remember an incident of many years ago where
an idiot in the ATC asked an Indonesian aircraft to turn 'left' when he
had to say 'right' and the unsuspecting blokes ran into a mountain. I
was wondering if that kinduva incident can be avoided with the TCAS...

Cheers,

Ramapriya

Bob Moore wrote:
"Ramapriya" wrote

Does this get activated only when there's an aircraft in the

dangerous
vicinity or will it also trigger if the aircraft is hurtling

towards
some terrain such as a hill?

In my generation of aircraft, (B-727) they are two different systems.
First came the GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System) and then some
time later came the TCAS (Traffic Alert and Collision Advoidance

System).

And does every aircraft have this system these days, regardless of
size?

No, only passenger jets are required to have them.

Bob Moore

Old January 2nd 05, 06:07 AM
Ramapriya

Don Hammer wrote:
On 1 Jan 2005 15:17:49 -0800, "george" wrotD:

Also, since TCAS has been mandated, there has been only one mid-air
with equipped aircraft and it was because one crew ignored the
warning. (UPS and Aeroflot in Switzerland)

????? You mean the TCAS only gives a warning, with the pilots having a
say on whether or not to take action?? I was under the impression that
the TCAS sytems talk to each other and take automatic action to avoid a
collision!!

To leave it to the pilots doesn't appear to be too much of an
advantage, with a relative speed of two planes being about 1000 mph
towards each other. Also, given the small reaction time, there's also a
chance, howsoever small, that the pilots could both take action that'll
precipitate a collision instead of avoiding one; both diving, for
example.

If it isn't automatic, I think the TCAS should be. For sure.
Ramapriya