Real World Specs for FS 2004

Old July 27th 03, 06:10 PM
Peter Duniho

"H M" wrote in message
in Win 98 it was impossible to send packets with spoofed IP addresses.

With the Microsoft-supplied software, true. With add-on software, not true
at all.

that feature was only included in XP. now every PC running XP can
participate in DrDOS attacks on other computers, with or without the
owner's consent or even knowledge (if someone manages to install a
zombie or a bot on the system).

Every PC running Windows 98 (or any other operating system) can participate
in denial-of-service attacks on other computers, with or without the owner's
consent or even knowledge. Raw sockets have NOTHING to do with this. In
fact, raw sockets are only really important for a DOS attack if the attacker
is using their own machine, since they don't care if a zombie machine is
easily traced.

the decision to include fully open raw sockets was FOOLISH.

If you actually knew anything about network security, rather than just
blindly believing what you read on Steve Gibsons lame-ass web site, you
wouldn't say so.

the ONLY people who NEED raw sockets are system
administrators (for testing purposes, and even that doesn't require
FULLY open raw sockets) and evil hackers (to attack other systems).

Why are you running your XP machine with admin privileges? On XP, only
adminstrators have the ability to use raw sockets.

Which, by the way, is exactly as it is in OS X, Linux, and other Unix
variants. The decision for XP to include raw sockets was primarily based on
the fact that Windows was not compliant with the socket standard. Including
raw sockets made XP work the same as other operating systems.

sys
admins (should) know better than attack other systems, and evil hackers
have no business doing what they do.

Raw sockets have nothing to do with whether evil hackers do what they do or
not. Any hacker who wanted to use raw sockets would have just set up a
Linux box.

XP has been out for quite a while now. Where are all the raw-socket DOS
attacks that Gibson claims were going to happen?

Pete

Old July 27th 03, 10:19 PM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:10:38 -0500, Tim Lavoie
wrote:

"John" == John Steed writes:

When Linux is seen more and more in the corporate domain you'll
start reading about all of it's security vulnerabilities.

John Don't tell that to the Linux advocates. According to them
John you don't need an anti-virus program because you won't get
John any using Linux. I've used Mandrake and there are always
John security issues with each version, only problem is that
John getting all of those updates is a royal pain in the butt
John compared to Windows.

All systems have bugs, and vulnerabilities will come up. People do
talk about Linux security vulnerabilities, along with those of all
other operating systems, but some get fixed faster than others.

I haven't used Mandrake, but updating the works in Debian is pretty
much a one-liner, including dependency checks etc.

I suspect the main issue which comes up is that the Windows
environment tends to be much more homogenous, and the sole vendor
likes to integrate "features" which bite their users later. Everybody
have Outlook? Yup

Nope. I prefer OE even if Outlook is considered the better of the two.
I've used Outlook several times and have always gone back to OE.

. How about executable spreadsheets and Word docs?

No Problem

Yup. Poor default choices in one app allow rogue code to exploit the
idiot features of another, creating a huge market for a potential
virus.

I don't use the default. Nor to I use the default to add all
addresses automatically to the address book.

You can send viruses to me too, but neither Gnus nor Mutt will try to
execute them, and you won't find an Outlook address book for further
targets either.

Outlook and Outlook Express can be set to read e-mail in text only.
Mine are so I don't have to worry about macros, and tracking sites.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Cheers,
Tim

Old August 4th 03, 11:24 AM
H M

Why are you running your XP machine with admin privileges?

what makes you think i have an XP machine? i don't, and if i ever need
one, i won't unleash it on the internet without a firewall that runs on
another piece of hardware...

Old August 14th 03, 09:45 AM
Roger Halstead

wrote:

All systems have bugs, and vulnerabilities will come up. People do
talk about Linux security vulnerabilities, along with those of all
other operating systems, but some get fixed faster than others.

I haven't used Mandrake, but updating the works in Debian is pretty
much a one-liner, including dependency checks etc.

Yea right, I updated some files in Mandrake 9.0 and then it tried to
update some dependencies needed by the newer files and it could'nt
find them on the FTP server. If you dion't get the dependcy files then
your Mandrake install is screwed.

I suspect the main issue which comes up is that the Windows
environment tends to be much more homogenous, and the sole vendor
likes to integrate "features" which bite their users later. Everybody
have Outlook? Yup. How about executable spreadsheets and Word docs?
Yup. Poor default choices in one app allow rogue code to exploit the
idiot features of another, creating a huge market for a potential
virus.

The key is default and choices.

Mine is set not to run HTML and macros do not automatically execute.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

You can send viruses to me too, but neither Gnus nor Mutt will try to
execute them, and you won't find an Outlook address book for further
targets either.

Outlook is easy to make completely secure and you can even uninstall
it from your system and use an alternative program if you are that
worried about it. I'm not.

Old August 15th 03, 05:22 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:09:30 -0700, Gnasher wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:45:00 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote:

The key is default and choices.

Does Mandrake come with a firewall enabled by default? No, it does
not. XP does.

I'm running XP Pro. The firewall was not enabled by default.
Plus I use a commercial firewall on each computer, not the one from
MS.

Old August 16th 03, 02:44 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:59:58 -0700, Gnasher wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 04:22:26 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote:

I'm running XP Pro. The firewall was not enabled by default.

Mine was.

Plus I use a commercial firewall on each computer, not the one from
MS.

So do I, plus I use a router with a hardware firewall built in, but my
comment still stands. Linux does not come locked down by default
either.

My mistake, I thought you were saying that XP had the firewall on by
default.

Old August 18th 03, 09:25 AM
Dave Pearson

* Gnasher :

[SNIP] Linux does not come locked down by default either.

That is only true if you actually name a distribution that doesn't come
locked down by default (most of the popular distributions did/do fall into
this category). If you want things locked down by default, get a
distribution that does this.

Saying that "Linux" doesn't come locked down by default doesn't really make
much sense.

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/