vfr corridors through class B airspace

Old October 22nd 03, 12:40 AM

Default vfr corridors through class B airspace

Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?

And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

Stan
Old October 22nd 03, 01:41 AM
Peter R.

snip
And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

The Hudson river below 1,100 feet MSL (next to Manhattan, New York City)
and San Diego at 3,500 feet, which takes you right over the San Diego
airport into the San Diego Bay are two very scenic VFR corridors.

--
Peter

Old October 22nd 03, 02:17 AM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article ,
wrote:
Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?

And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

Not sure about LAX but here in Seattle Class B KSEA has one. Their are
two runways at SEA (16R and 16L, var 20E) and the corridor runs east to
west directly over the center of the runway.
I've never actually used it thou

Old October 22nd 03, 04:30 AM
Bob Gardner

Not exactly the same thing, Vejita...SEA has "transition routes," not
corridors.

Bob Gardner

Old October 22nd 03, 04:41 PM
Dan Luke

And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

The Interstate 10 VFR corridor through Houston.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 22nd 03, 05:29 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote in message ...
Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?

And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

Not that are Special Flight Rules. A lot of class B's that are formed from
overlaps of multiple primary airports have area that is just excluded (without
restriction) from the class B. An example is NY where there is a tunnel
down the Hudson (the chart does have some notations about traffic advisories)
and DC which has two tunnels (one between IAD and DCA, which unfortunately
is now eaten up by the stupid-assed no-fly zone and one between DCA and BWI
which is only partially eaten, but inside the ADIZ). Several others have sort of
notches cut out of their edges for non-Class B transition.

Old October 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
Jeff

They are VFR transition routes, you still need to contact LAX prior to
entering and so forth, I have the LA terminal chart that shows the route
and gives the procedures for using it. But you just cant go fly the
route, you need permission first.

Old October 23rd 03, 12:22 AM
Craig Prouse

Jeff wrote:

They are VFR transition routes, you still need to contact LAX prior to
entering and so forth, I have the LA terminal chart that shows the route
and gives the procedures for using it. But you just cant go fly the
route, you need permission first.

Those are different routes altogether. The SFRA passes directly over LAX
between Santa Monica and Long Beach. It does not require ATC approval or
even ATC contact. You're right, however, that the LA TAC shows the route
and gives the procedures for using it. In fact you have to have the TAC in
your possession legally to fly the route.

Old October 23rd 03, 12:29 AM
vincent p. norris

And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

A low-altitude N-S corrider midway between Dulles and DCA.

Not necessary to talk to anyone, but I ask for traffic advisories.

vince norris
Old October 23rd 03, 12:46 AM

Jeff, vfr transition routes are different than vfr corridors through
class B airspace. No permission required, but in LAX there are
procedures that must be followed, eg speed, transponder code etc. I
presume that's why its designated special flight rules airspace. It's
in the aim.
Stan

wrote:

Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?

And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

Stan

Must the PLANE be IFR-equipped to fly over17,500? john smith Home Built 11 August 27th 04 02:29 AM
airspace G Jim Anglin Home Built 8 February 22nd 04 11:29 PM
Airspace Privacy over your house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fitzair4 Home Built 26 December 12th 03 12:48 AM
Decent below MDA, Legal? Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 59 October 4th 03 10:04 AM
Special Use Airspace on GPS Jeff Doran Instrument Flight Rules 3 August 11th 03 01:23 PM