flap deployment

Old July 20th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default flap deployment

I'd like to get some general information on flap deployment if someone
would be kind enough to provide it.

Is the flap angle normally held constant throughout climb? Ditto for
descent.

If not, what are the typical rules or schedule for changing the flap
angle for a large commercial aircraft? Thanks.

Old July 20th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

wrote in message
Is the flap angle normally held constant throughout climb? Ditto for
descent.
If not, what are the typical rules or schedule for changing the flap
angle for a large commercial aircraft? Thanks.

The topic can be fairly complicated. Generally speaking, the flaps are
retracted one notch after climbing through somewhere between 800' to 1500'.
The flaps and slats are further retracted as the airplane accelerates.
Climbing with the wing in the 'clean' configuration is most economical.

D.

Old July 20th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tom418[_1_]

On a B727, flap retraction is done according to a schedule which correlates
flap settings with airspeed.

For example, with a TOGW of 160,000, temp of 59F, and 15 degrees flaps, V2
is 146 knots. Takeoff is done at Flaps 15. Flaps are then retracted to 5
degrees when reaching "V2 + 10" (156 knots), then retracted to 2 degrees
when reaching "V2 + 40" (186 knots), and fully retracted at "V2 + 60" (206
knots).
Note: When 2 degrees of flaps are used, half of the slats get retracted ,
with the remaining slats (and the Krueger flaps) retracted with a 0 Flap
setting
oups.com...

Old July 20th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Dave Doe" wrote in message

For example, with a TOGW of 160,000, temp of 59F, and 15 degrees flaps,
V2
is 146 knots. Takeoff is done at Flaps 15. Flaps are then retracted to 5
degrees when reaching "V2 + 10" (156 knots), then retracted to 2 degrees
when reaching "V2 + 40" (186 knots), and fully retracted at "V2 + 60"
(206
knots).
Note: When 2 degrees of flaps are used, half of the slats get retracted ,
with the remaining slats (and the Krueger flaps) retracted with a 0 Flap
setting

Surely you also calculate your speeds based on a/c weight? (unlike small
aircraft).

Note above, he did mention "...TOGW of 160000..."

Old July 21st 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"tom418" wrote in message
Note: When 2 degrees of flaps are used, half of the slats get retracted ,
with the remaining slats (and the Krueger flaps) retracted with a 0 Flap
setting

You sure about the Krueger flaps? My library is packed away for remodeling
preventing me from looking it up, but I'm sure only slats 3 &4 are extended
at flaps2, not the Kruegers.

D.

Old July 21st 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Capt.Doug" wrote

You sure about the Krueger flaps? My library is packed away for remodeling
preventing me from looking it up, but I'm sure only slats 3 &4 are

extended
at flaps2, not the Kruegers.

Durn it, I was going to let the Krueger flaps go, when he explained it, as
something I really didn't need to know. Now you bring it up again, and now
I want to know! g

What the heck are Krueger flaps?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 21st 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Flaps the hinge at the bottom from of the leading edge and
swing down to make a more curved section. Slats are
sections of the leading edge that move forward making a
slot.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old July 21st 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Skylane

Capt.Doug wrote:
"tom418" wrote in message
Note: When 2 degrees of flaps are used, half of the slats get retracted ,
with the remaining slats (and the Krueger flaps) retracted with a 0 Flap
setting

You sure about the Krueger flaps? My library is packed away for remodeling
preventing me from looking it up, but I'm sure only slats 3 &4 are extended
at flaps2, not the Kruegers.

D.

Doug,

Re-read his statement. With flaps 2 selected, leading edge slats 2&3,
and 6&7 are deployed. The remaining slats, as well as *all* krueger
flaps, are retracted.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

C172N Flap indicator problem onesto Owning 0 July 2nd 06 10:47 AM
Cirrus chute deployment -- an incredible story Michael182/G Instrument Flight Rules 48 July 14th 05 03:52 PM
Stuck cowl flap cable Jim Burns Owning 7 March 24th 05 02:07 PM
Flap angles DeltaDeltaDelta Piloting 34 May 18th 04 12:09 AM
C-130 Unit Completes Two Year Deployment Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 30th 03 10:04 PM