Anyone install the EI FP5L?

Old March 1st 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Default Anyone install the EI FP5L?

All,

I'm thinking of replacing a pesky fuel pressure gauge with the
Electronics International FP5L.

http://www.buy-ei.com/New_FP-5_&_FP-...nformation.htm

We need a "primary" gauge and the FP5L is STC'd for our application.

Has anyone installed one of these, particularly on an engine with a carb,
and if so, can you give me a mini-review?

Thanks,

Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/
Old March 1st 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

Yes, I had one installed along with the EI UBG-16, tach, oil, and
manifold last May. My bonanza already had the EI volt/amp. Except for
the UBG-16, the EI gauges are my primaries. The FP5L is nice because
it's also a fuel computer that can interface with a GPS. I haven't
interfaced it yet with my Garmin 430. It was supposed to be done when I
got the 430W upgrade but the shop didn't have the time so I'll have to
wait for that to get done at my annual in May. EI is a pleasure to
work with.
Dave
M35

Old March 1st 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:54:59 -0600, Grumman 46U wrote:
My Grumman Cheetah came with the FP-5L, which I use in conjunction with
the original fuel gauges. It is not hooked through the 430W, something I
ought to rectify.

I don't know much about the Cheetah. That has an O-320, right? If so,
I'm curious if there is any delay in the fuel flow reading as you change
power settings. As I understand it, the device has to average the flow
readings from the transducer over a longer period of time given the carb
bowl fills in spurts.

It is dead-on accurate. I have 51-gallon tanks; if it says I have 30
gallons remaining, I will be able to put 21 gallons within a tenth-or-
two of a gallon. While I like the visual representations on the original
gauges as an estimate, I always trust the EI.

Nice to know. I never trust the Cessna gauges so I'm pretty good at
estimating fuel burn to within a gallon or two, but it's nice to know
that on longer trips the FP5L will give us the info we'll need to make
planning decisions enroute a bit easier.

EI is also a jewel to work with. If you have ANY questions, they take
whatever time necessary to answer them and to make sure things are
working correctly. They always follow up.

I've heard this about EI from several people, and the few times I've
contacted them about their products I've been quite happy with the

I also have the UBG-16 EGT/CHT gauge, which functions equally as well.

Nice to know, since I really hate the idea of giving JPI any money. JPI
continues to bash the UBG, but if you look at both systems objectively
the EI seems like the better deal, and I'm not talking about money. The
whole "thin vs. thick" probe thing is blown out of proportion, IMHO.

I assume you don't have any trouble accurately leaning with the UBG.

Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/
Old March 1st 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:38:36 -0500, dave wrote:
Yes, I had one installed along with the EI UBG-16, tach, oil, and
manifold last May. My bonanza already had the EI volt/amp. Except for
the UBG-16, the EI gauges are my primaries. The FP5L is nice because
it's also a fuel computer that can interface with a GPS. I haven't
interfaced it yet with my Garmin 430. It was supposed to be done when I
got the 430W upgrade but the shop didn't have the time so I'll have to
wait for that to get done at my annual in May. EI is a pleasure to
work with.
Dave
M35

Thanks for the response Dave.

Just spoke with my avionics shop because I was hoping to have them
interface the 430 with the FP5L when it's out getting the WAAS update.

My main concern was whether the 430 had enough spare serial ports to talk
to the FP5L given that our 430 is also wired to our 330 Mode S
transponder for TIS. Turns out that the 430 has 4 RS232 ports and 3
ARINC 429 ports. The GTX330 uses a 429 port and the FP5L would use one of
the RS232 ports, so we'll be able to add the FP5L and then some.

Truth be told, the flow feature is a perk for us...we really only need
pressure, but I figure if I'm going to drop 1 AMU on the task, I might as
well leverage the data in the GPS planning pages.

Good to hear other people are happy with EI.

Thanks again,

Doug
http://www.dvatp.com/

X-Plane Install George Graham Piloting 17 June 23rd 07 02:40 AM
Can't install FSX Blue Simulators 6 November 22nd 06 09:42 PM
X52 install problems Gian Simulators 0 June 21st 05 07:47 AM
A-65 Baffles - when to install? Michael Horowitz Home Built 0 March 27th 05 06:26 PM
New Lycoming Install Evan Carew Home Built 2 October 9th 04 04:10 AM