Max gross weight

Old September 29th 04, 04:48 AM
Chris

Default Max gross weight

How do aircraft manufactures determine the maximum gross weight for a
given plane? I know I've come across articles that mention on a cool day
you can go over the max. gross weight by a percentage, I think 20% was
thrown out there but not sure. Then again, on a hot day you might not
get any where near that. Is it determined by a standard temp?
Old September 29th 04, 05:06 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Chris wrote:
How do aircraft manufactures determine the maximum gross weight for a
given plane?

The prototype is fitted with a water bladder and is flown in formation
with a tanker. The bladder is slowly filled with water until the plane
drops out of the sky. A gauge in the tanker indicates the max gross
weight of the new design.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 29th 04, 05:33 AM
BTIZ

ROFLMFAO

very funny indeed
BT

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message

Old September 29th 04, 05:35 AM
BTIZ

"Chris" wrote in message
I know I've come across articles that mention on a cool day
you can go over the max. gross weight by a percentage, I think 20% was
thrown out there but not sure.

You should NEVER go over max GW.. that is a limit, not a buffer zone.

The aircraft may be able to support the extra weight on a smooth day.. but
not in turbulence, and when the accident investigation computes your actual
GW and finds a "causal factor in the accident is exceeding the Max GW
allowed".. your insurance company may find your policy invalid.

BT

Old September 29th 04, 05:41 AM
John Harlow

Chris wrote:
How do aircraft manufactures determine the maximum gross weight for a
given plane? I know I've come across articles that mention on a cool
day you can go over the max. gross weight by a percentage, I think
20% was thrown out there but not sure. Then again, on a hot day you
might not get any where near that. Is it determined by a standard
temp?

Which articles suggest it is OK to fly a plane over gross?

Old September 29th 04, 06:25 AM
Montblack

"Ben Jackson"
The prototype is fitted with a water bladder and is flown in formation
with a tanker. The bladder is slowly filled with water until the plane
drops out of the sky. A gauge in the tanker indicates the max gross
weight of the new design.

How would you like to be the lucky pilot during "water test" ...#2?

http://www.theknownuniverse.com/comet.htm
(bottom half of the piece)

The Ministry of Civil Aviation decided upon a unique test to find out. They
built a tank large enough to hold one of the grounded Comets. The wings
protruded from water-tight slots in the sides of the tank. Then the tank and
cabin were flooded with water. The water pressure inside the cabin would be
raised to eight and a quarter pounds per square inch to simulate the
pressure encountered by a Comet at 35,000 feet. It would be held there for
three minutes and then lowered while the wings were moved up and down by
hydraulic jacks. The hydraulic jacks would simulate the flexing that
naturally occurs in aircraft wings during flight. This process continued
non-stop, 24 hours a day.

Montblack

Old September 29th 04, 07:40 AM
C J Campbell

"Chris" wrote in message
I know I've come across articles that mention on a cool day
you can go over the max. gross weight by a percentage, I think 20% was
thrown out there but not sure.

You should NEVER go over max GW.. that is a limit, not a buffer zone.

Don't ever tell that to the ferry pilots.

Old September 29th 04, 12:02 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Chris" wrote in message
How do aircraft manufactures determine the maximum gross weight for a
given plane? I know I've come across articles that mention on a cool day
you can go over the max. gross weight by a percentage, I think 20% was
thrown out there but not sure. Then again, on a hot day you might not get
any where near that. Is it determined by a standard temp?

The manufacturers consider a number of factors. What can the structure
handle (don't forget the landing gear)? What weight gives decent takeoff
and climb performance on a hot day at a high altitude airport? What weight
gives the FAA mandated stall speed? Any of these issues (and more) can be
the limiting factor.

KB

Apache Alternate Gross Weight Jim Burns Owning 1 July 6th 04 05:15 PM
Dutch Roll SelwayKid Piloting 31 June 19th 04 11:43 PM
homebuilt safety anonymous coward Home Built 96 June 3rd 04 04:34 AM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
F35 cost goes up. Pat Carpenter Military Aviation 116 April 11th 04 07:32 PM