Shiny restaurations?

Old October 9th 09, 09:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dennis[_8_]

Default Shiny restaurations?

Hi all,

I have been wondering about this for a long time.

Why are warbirds, which originally had a matt or dull paintjob (almost)
always very shiny when restored??

A lot of money and effort is put in to restore it to original and flying
condition and then they put on a non original gloss finish!
I can probably understand this for flying examples, glossy is easier to
keep clean,

But, I was watching a program on Discovery about breaking the sound barier.
And the original Bell X-1 was a matt orange and is now exhibited repainted
in a high gloss, though it will (probably) never fly again.

Any one?

TIA and cheers,

Dennis
Old October 9th 09, 04:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Claus Gustafsen

Well I belive there are several answers to this,

1. Planes painted in dull colours weathet much faster than gloss paint.
Therefor owners may choose to use glosse paint in an otherwise faithfull
replication of a paint scheme. Easy enough for me to accept.
2. Gloss "Natural Metal Finish", I do belive that some of thes are honest
errors, seeing post war racers with putty and paint removed from the wings,
and polished to reduce friction, this gives the shiny look. Also the finish
in many owners eyes probably looks good and are easy to maintain.

--
Claus Gustafsen
Strandby

.12...

Old October 10th 09, 06:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Stealth Pilot[_3_]

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 17:02:06 +0200, "Claus Gustafsen"
wrote:

Well I belive there are several answers to this,

1. Planes painted in dull colours weathet much faster than gloss paint.
Therefor owners may choose to use glosse paint in an otherwise faithfull
replication of a paint scheme. Easy enough for me to accept.
2. Gloss "Natural Metal Finish", I do belive that some of thes are honest
errors, seeing post war racers with putty and paint removed from the wings,
and polished to reduce friction, this gives the shiny look. Also the finish
in many owners eyes probably looks good and are easy to maintain.

matt paints are porous and dont protect as well.

the standard response to this nonsense question is always that you can
paint the aircraft you own in any colour scheme you wish. so why dont
you go and do it. (btw claus didnt ask the question)

Stealth Pilot

Old October 10th 09, 06:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard Brooks[_2_]

Stealth Pilot said the following on 10/10/2009 18:44:

matt paints are porous and dont protect as well.

the standard response to this nonsense question is always that you can
paint the aircraft you own in any colour scheme you wish. so why dont
you go and do it. (btw claus didnt ask the question)

Stealth Pilot

Also, if you are at war you don't want your aircraft glinting nicely
in the night sky over enemy territory, moonlight or by searchlight.
Old October 10th 09, 07:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Richard Brooks wrote:

Also, if you are at war you don't want your aircraft glinting nicely
in the night sky over enemy territory, moonlight or by searchlight.

Even unpolished bare aluminum can glint.

Old October 10th 09, 08:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dennis[_8_]

Stealth Pilot wrote in
:

wrote:

Well I belive there are several answers to this,

1. Planes painted in dull colours weathet much faster than gloss
paint. Therefor owners may choose to use glosse paint in an otherwise
faithfull replication of a paint scheme. Easy enough for me to accept.
2. Gloss "Natural Metal Finish", I do belive that some of thes are
honest errors, seeing post war racers with putty and paint removed
from the wings, and polished to reduce friction, this gives the shiny
look. Also the finish in many owners eyes probably looks good and are
easy to maintain.

matt paints are porous and dont protect as well.

the standard response to this nonsense question is always that you can
paint the aircraft you own in any colour scheme you wish. so why dont
you go and do it. (btw claus didnt ask the question)

Stealth Pilot

I asked the question and I don't think it is a nonsense question.

Very true; you are totally allowed to paint your stuff any colour you
want.
But I just don't understand why, after that much time, money, effort and
probably research one would end up with a thing that doesn't resemble
the original.
But it is indeed the choice of the owner.

But I've seen planes and armour in museums that are obviously been
resprayed/painted in non-original schemes and/or colours.

Nevertheless, I'm sorry I asked.

Cheers,

Dennis
Old October 10th 09, 08:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard Brooks[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll said the following on 10/10/2009 19:59:
Richard Brooks wrote:
Also, if you are at war you don't want your aircraft glinting nicely
in the night sky over enemy territory, moonlight or by searchlight.

Even unpolished bare aluminum can glint.

I can't recall too many unpolished bare aluminium night camouflage
schemes.

An piece of a Do-217 (U5+MR) which I have which was later painted in
night camouflage, the black paint is as dull in texture as soot.
Old October 10th 09, 09:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Richard Brooks wrote:

Stealth Pilot said the following on 10/10/2009 18:44:

matt paints are porous and dont protect as well.

the standard response to this nonsense question is always that you can
paint the aircraft you own in any colour scheme you wish. so why dont
you go and do it. (btw claus didnt ask the question)

Stealth Pilot

Also, if you are at war you don't want your aircraft glinting nicely
in the night sky over enemy territory, moonlight or by searchlight.

Actually, tests during WW-II showed that GLOSSY black was harder to
detect than matte black and other colors. Hence the glossy black on US
night fighters and night bombers.

The B-29s used in night raids over Japan sported glossy black
undersides; the night B-26s used in Korea were also glossy black.

Old October 11th 09, 02:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Richard Brooks wrote:

I can't recall too many unpolished bare aluminium night camouflage
schemes.

What can you recall?

Old October 11th 09, 06:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard Brooks[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll said the following on 11/10/2009 14:45:
Richard Brooks wrote:
I can't recall too many unpolished bare aluminium night camouflage
schemes.

What can you recall?

Smoky black as you can and diffuse those searchlight beams. Don't
forget the carrots of course.

You'd probably do it much more different of course.

New Shiny! Toy Dave Buckles Owning 7 March 5th 04 05:49 PM
New Shiny! Toy Dave Buckles Piloting 7 March 5th 04 05:49 PM
Bright, shiny airplane parts. skydivertu Products 0 February 1st 04 02:14 AM