Resizing

Old September 1st 11, 12:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ramsman

Default Resizing

On 31/08/2011 21:42, Netko wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:37:24 +0100, Savageduck wrote
(in article2011083108372416807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom):

If you resize to 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, or 1280 x 1024 you shouldn't
get too many complaints from most viewers.

As a rule of thumb limiting the long dimension of any image to 1024

Using StatCounter's figures for the last three months (and making a few
somewhat heroic assumptions and simplifications), 98% of users have monitors
which are at least 1024 pixels wide and 68% have monitors at least 1280
pixels wide.

It follows that your rule of thumb will mean viewing pictures at full size
should not be a problem for two-thirds of people; nor should it involve too
much scrolling for almost everybody else.

Thanks for the information. I had to ask because obviously not everybody
has their monitor set to 1920 x 1080 as I do.

--
Peter
Old September 1st 11, 03:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-01 04:11:46 -0700, Ramsman said:

[...]

Both my iMac and my MacBook Pro 17 have 1920 x 1080 displays. The thing
to remember is if you are just viewing the images there is little need
to see them at full screen or at the aspect ratio of that display.
Therefore a file configured large enough that any aspect ratio and
reasonably sized image can be viewed on most displays is good enough.
Hence my suggestion of maintaining a horizontal long dimension of 1024
to 1280, or a vertical dimension of 600 to 900, will allow most to view
your images comfortably.

If I get a request for a full screen 1920 x 1080 at less radical jpeg
compression, I will get the file to that individual using another
method such as this.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/P38-5400fEWc.jpg

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old September 3rd 11, 03:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Pat Heuvel

On 31/08/2011 7:16 PM, Ramsman wrote:
What picture dimensions to people prefer for posting here? Most of my
attempts so far have been too large or too small, and I can never
remember from one time to the next what settings I used.

I've experimented with IrfanView and Digital Photo Professional.

I use both Irfanview and DPP, depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

For posting JPEGs, try 1200 x 800 and 90% quality. That should give a
reasonable file size, and was used for the attached image.

Good luck,
Pat

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version