Problem With Powerflarm Firmware Update?

Old June 10th 19, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Problem With Powerflarm Firmware Update?

Yesterday I updated my PF portable from version 6.60 to 6.67 and went
out for a short flight.Â* I found that Flarm targets were no longer
displayed on my ClearNav II display.Â* It still displayed ADS-B and PCAS
targets but no Flarm targets.Â* The PF portable still showed Flarm
targets.Â* Any ideas?
--
Dan, 5J
Old June 10th 19, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 11:59:16 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yesterday I updated my PF portable from version 6.60 to 6.67 and went
out for a short flight.Â* I found that Flarm targets were no longer
displayed on my ClearNav II display.Â* It still displayed ADS-B and PCAS
targets but no Flarm targets.Â* The PF portable still showed Flarm
targets.Â* Any ideas?
--
Dan, 5J

6.67 works fine for me. Did you have a flarmcfg file on the USB? If you did, it got loaded... start there.

best,
Evan
Old June 10th 19, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks, I'll check.Â* But what difference would that make since it's the
configuration I've always used?Â* Oh, and my PF portable is loaded by a
micro SD card.Â* Or are you referring to the USB stick that I used to
install the latest data.fln file?Â* Maybe I should roll back to my
previous flarmnet file.

Old June 10th 19, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Hi Dan,

If the cfg file is correct, then it isn't any issue. I mentioned this possibility because it's fairly common. Guys put the update on an old USB or SD card that happens to have an old (or someone else's) cfg file on it... and whammo.

If the problem arose immediately after you updated the flarmnet file, then I would wonder about that. I'm not aware of problems here, but "undoing the last action you took" is worth investigating.

Old June 10th 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks Evan,

Next on my list is to replace the most recent flarmnet file with the
previous one.Â* Maybe the weather will improve tomorrow and I can try it out.

Old June 11th 19, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Flarmnet has no impact other than showing the contest number instead of flarm ID. So is the issue that flarm Target was showing up but not recognizable, or not showing at all?

Ramy
Old June 11th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 6:16:19 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Flarmnet has no impact other than showing the contest number instead of flarm ID. So is the issue that flarm Target was showing up but not recognizable, or not showing at all?

Ramy

Dan,

Did you ever put the USB drive in an apple computer. Or did you download the firmware with and apple computer. Powerflarm does not work well with Apples. Some will say it works with an emulator. But almost all calls I get about firmware problems are related to customer trying to use an Apple computer for USB stick that has been used in an apples computer.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old June 11th 19, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ramy,

Flarm targets appear on the PowerFlarm portable display but not on the
ClearNav II display or my wife's Streak/XCSoar.Â* ADS-B and PCAS
targets/alerts appear on the CN II, but Flarm targets do not.

Richard,

My USB sticks have never seen an Apple product.

Evan,

My upgrade process is to have the CN II upgrade files/structure on the
USB stick that I use for my CNvXC and my CNvXC upgrade files are loaded
on my CN II stick.Â* That way I don't have to run back and forth to the
computer to move/remove files.Â* I've done it this way for a long time
without problems.Â* The problem only appeared with the PowerFlarm 6.67
update and the new Flarmnet data.fln file which I installed at the same
time.Â* I think the easiest thing I can do is roll back the PF portable
to 6.60 and see what happens...

Old June 11th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Flarmnet has published bogus files before. I have d/l'ed files that just plain did not work in various displays.

So roll back the flarmnet data file too. Bogus file may have exposed a bug in CN2 (pure speculation on my part).

Evan