Cross Country Definition

Old March 9th 05, 03:02 AM
f.blair

Default Cross Country Definition

I saw a posting on a web site about Steve Fossett's around the world flight.
Just think, since he landed at the same airport that he took off from, he
can't log that flight as 'cross country flight'.

Old March 9th 05, 03:20 AM

Huh?! Am I missing something here? I've logged every flight that took
me more than two thermals away from where I took off as a "cross
country flight", no matter where I landed.

Old March 9th 05, 03:20 AM
Charles Yeates

f.blair wrote:

Just think, since he landed at the same airport that he took off from, he
can't log that flight as 'cross country flight'.

You jest, I know -- he used GPS recorder and waypoints, just like us
--
Charles Yeates

Swidnik PW-6U & PW-5
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/yeatesc/world.html

Old March 9th 05, 03:20 AM

But I guess the powered "rules" are different...

Old March 9th 05, 04:08 AM
f.blair

Someone had posted that for a flight to be considered cross country by the
FAA, the flight had to terminate at an airport at least 50 miles from the
take off. I did not check the regs, just thought it was an interesting view
of a spectacular flight, whether it was a cross country or not.

wrote in message
oups.com...
But I guess the powered "rules" are different...

Old March 9th 05, 04:45 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article . net,
"f.blair" wrote:

I saw a posting on a web site about Steve Fossett's around the world flight.
Just think, since he landed at the same airport that he took off from, he
can't log that flight as 'cross country flight'.

Under powered aircraft rules, that's true.

Strange, isn't it?

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old March 9th 05, 05:19 AM
BTIZ

come on guys... the "rules defining cross country and logging time there of"
are no different for power or glider...

Cross country time logged for the purpose of meeting the requirements
towards a pilot rating, a touch down must occur at a point at least 50nm
from where you started, does not say flight has to terminate.. There is no
accumulated cross country time requirement for glider ratings.

You can LOG cross country as soon as you take off and go no where... it just
don't count for beans... I know, I've been following people around the
traffic pattern so far out that I felt I could have logged cross country
time...

Based on the 50nm rule, there is an exception written to cover military
training flights where the flight would take off and land at the same
location, but in the intervening time of 1 to a dozen hours, could have
crisscrossed the entire country (yes I've done that more than a few times)..
to count as cross country. (61.1(b) (3)) and the exemption for the military
pilot (61.1(b)(3)(vii))

Sorry, but there is no exception for the round robin glider pilot.

BT

Old March 9th 05, 09:00 AM
J.A.M.

I think Cross country (or distance flight) is whatever takes you out of
local gliding range of your home airport... That is, when you need to take a
thermal, get some heigh, or you land out.

ink.net...

Old March 9th 05, 09:25 AM
Marian Aldenhövel

Hi,

I saw a posting on a web site about Steve Fossett's around the world flight.
Just think, since he landed at the same airport that he took off from, he
can't log that flight as 'cross country flight'.

Was that the same website that said he could log an outside loop for the
flight?

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de