What's your most familiar route?

Old April 13th 04, 09:45 AM
Ben Jackson

Default What's your most familiar route?

What route do you fly most often or feel most comfortable with? How
far could you wander from your home base without needing a map or even
a compass to find all the cities and airports?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 13th 04, 11:34 AM
Cub Driver

What route do you fly most often or feel most comfortable with? How
far could you wander from your home base without needing a map or even
a compass to find all the cities and airports?

With 12 gal gas, the Cub has an effectived radius of one hour without
refueling. I most often fly from Hampton NH up to Lake Winnipesaukee,
touring Alton Bay and if the flight has gone quickly Wolfeboro also.
(There's an airport at Wolfeboro, but no gas.) If I have the plane for
more than two hours, I'll land and refuel at Moultonboro. The Big Lake
is one of the loveliest places I know.

A couple years ago I wrote a story about this route for the Wall
Street Journal: www.pipercubforum.com/biglake.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 13th 04, 02:44 PM
Dan Luke

"Ben Jackson" wrote:
What route do you fly most often or feel most comfortable with?
How far could you wander from your home base without needing
a map or even a compass to find all the cities and airports?

I assume you're also excluding, GPS, VOR, etc. I suppose I could make
it ok from Mobile to Houston without a map or a compass or even without
following I-10 the whole way. After a couple dozen trips I probably
have it wired - might be interesting to try it next time if the
weather's nice.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 13th 04, 03:00 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ben Jackson wrote:

How
far could you wander from your home base without needing a map or even
a compass to find all the cities and airports?

I could make it from Old Bridge, NJ to Atlanta, GA without a map or compass. It
certainly wouldn't be a direct flight, and I wouldn't know *all* the airports, but
it's pretty easy to do. My usual runs would be more like 60 miles from Old Bridge and
return (Pocono Mountains).

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 13th 04, 04:41 PM
C J Campbell

I can think of several places out of Tacoma Narrows I could get to without
map or compass -- given good visibility. Hoquiam, Kelso, Port Angeles, even
Friday Harbor (though I might not be able to find my way back).

Old April 13th 04, 04:51 PM
Gene Seibel

I had along distance relationship in which I flew the 200 miles edach
way from Springfield, MO to Alton, IL at least every other weekend for
10 months. It got real familiar.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old April 13th 04, 06:36 PM
Dylan Smith

In article EMNec.26772$xn4.47816@attbi_s51, Ben Jackson wrote:
What route do you fly most often or feel most comfortable with? How
far could you wander from your home base without needing a map or even
a compass to find all the cities and airports?

My entire nation.

It's only 30nm long by about 14nm wide, so it's hardly difficult :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old April 13th 04, 06:49 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Dylan Smith wrote:
My entire nation.

It's only 30nm long by about 14nm wide, so it's hardly difficult :-)
--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man

I bet there's not a lot of hangar talk about how fast you can fly!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 13th 04, 07:47 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message

My entire nation.

It's only 30nm long by about 14nm wide, so it's hardly difficult :-)

How many airports are there in the nation? How many pilots? Airplanes?

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old April 13th 04, 08:09 PM
Maule Driver

Durham NC to Lake Norman NC - only 108 miles.

From my glider days I could still fly Blairstown NJ to Cumberland MD as the
hawks fly. No map or compass required once you get to know the ridges
(Kittatinny ridge, Delaware Water Gap, Hawk Mountain, jump up to the perfect
Mahatango ridge , over the Susquehanna and jump to the Tusquawarra(sp)
ridge, jump someplace before Burnt Cabins up to the 'main ridge', Altoona
gap, ___ gap, Cumberland, then return. Never made the entire flight without
stopping but know it all, something like Twain's Missippi river boat
captains.