Wake Turbulence Question

Old July 13th 04, 01:37 AM
HankPilot2002

Default Wake Turbulence Question

I was level at 1500' MSL and ATC announced a Gulfstream bizjet crossing from my
right to left, 3000' MSL less than a mile lateral distance. I had my
instrument student do a 360 for wake turbulence separation and dissipation.
ATC questioned my actions and told me the 360 wasn't necessary.

BTW: I was in Class Echo airspace in southern Maine.

I havent been instructing all that long but this did seem to me to be a classic
wake turb encounter in the making. I am interested in hearing from other
pilots and CFII's on this subject. Was I over cautious ? Or prudent.....

Hank
Old July 13th 04, 02:30 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old July 13th 04, 02:34 AM
Teacherjh

I was level at 1500' MSL and ATC announced a Gulfstream bizjet crossing from my
right to left, 3000' MSL less than a mile lateral distance. I had my
instrument student do a 360 for wake turbulence separation and dissipation.
ATC questioned my actions and told me the 360 wasn't necessary.

BTW: I was in Class Echo airspace in southern Maine.

I havent been instructing all that long but this did seem to me to be a classic
wake turb encounter in the making. I am interested in hearing from other
pilots and CFII's on this subject. Was I over cautious ? Or prudent.....

The "classic" wake turbulence encounter is flying up the funnel and being
turned over. To do that, your courses would need to be fairly well aligned.
Your encounter sounds like it was more at right angles. You'd get a bump bump
and be through it. By doing a 360, you allowed your course to parallel the
other aircraft's course, and if you didn't know where he was, you risked the
classic encounter as you passed 90 degrees or 270 degrees of your turn.

If it was indeed crossing right to left, I'd have just proceeded on course.

Jose

Old July 13th 04, 02:52 AM
BTIZ

I'd have to research the study.. but most wake turbulence only drops about
500ft.. if I remember correctly.. if you were 500ft it would not be an
issue..

also.. wake turbulence is the worst if the heavier aircraft (bizjet) is
configured for landing, flaps and gear etc.. if he was still gear up.. and
in level flight... the bumps would not be so bad even if you had 500ft. It's
the wing tip vortices that are the worst, and yes you may get some vortices
from the flap end at mid span.

We've rendezvoused for refueling, 1000ft below a heavy tanker (KC-10/DC10)
and moved into refueling position and not feel his wake until we are
practically on the boom.. at near cruise speeds

BT

Old July 13th 04, 03:28 AM
vincent p. norris

I was level at 1500' MSL and ATC announced a Gulfstream bizjet crossing from my
right to left, 3000' MSL less than a mile lateral distance.

IIRC, the wake descends only about 500 feet, so you would have been
well below it. Probably wouldn't have descended even that far if you
were less than a mile away.

If the Gulfstream was cruising, clean, the turbulence would not have
been serious anyway.

Years ago, I spotted a wide-body crossing right to left, four or five
miles in front of me, and just barely above my altitude.

A couple of minutes later, I felt one quick bump.

vince norris

Old July 13th 04, 04:41 AM
Icebound

"BTIZ" wrote in message

also.. wake turbulence is the worst if the heavier aircraft (bizjet) is
configured for landing, flaps and gear etc.. if he was still gear up.. and
in level flight... the bumps would not be so bad even if you had 500ft.

A quote from a popular primary text:
"The greatest vortex strength occurs under CLEAN configuration, high weight,
and slow speed." (emphasis mine)

(... and high air density) Their contention appears to be that flaps and
gear help break up the vortex pattern. The clean configuration at slow
speeds results in the highest AOA, supposedly the primary culprit.

Old July 13th 04, 02:54 PM
Tony Cox

"HankPilot2002" wrote in message
I was level at 1500' MSL and ATC announced a Gulfstream bizjet crossing

from my
right to left, 3000' MSL less than a mile lateral distance. I had my
instrument student do a 360 for wake turbulence separation and

dissipation.
ATC questioned my actions and told me the 360 wasn't necessary.

BTW: I was in Class Echo airspace in southern Maine.

I havent been instructing all that long but this did seem to me to be a

classic
wake turb encounter in the making. I am interested in hearing from other
pilots and CFII's on this subject. Was I over cautious ? Or prudent.....

You're PIC. If you feel it necessary to do a 360,
ATC has no reason to be critical. They don't have all the
facts -- perhaps you had reason to doubt your altimeter or
mode 'C' for some reason, or needed to impress upon your
student that it's OK to deviate if you feel uneasy in a situation.
Unless, of course, you were flying IFR in which case you
should probably have asked first.

That said, you were being over cautious to this threat. Wake
turbulence levels off about 800' below an aircraft track, so
you still had 700' of buffer.

Old July 13th 04, 03:04 PM
Ace Pilot

"BTIZ" wrote:
also.. wake turbulence is the worst if the heavier aircraft (bizjet) is
configured for landing, flaps and gear etc..

According to the latest edition of the Aeronautical Information Manual
(effective 19 February 2004), paragraph 7-3-3:
"The greatest vortex strength occurs when the generating aircraft is
HEAVY, CLEAN, and SLOW." [emphasis present in original document]

A clean aircraft generates stronger wake vortices than does one
configured for landing.
Old July 13th 04, 04:13 PM
CV

Ace Pilot wrote:
"BTIZ" wrote:

also.. wake turbulence is the worst if the heavier aircraft (bizjet) is
configured for landing, flaps and gear etc..

According to the latest edition of the Aeronautical Information Manual
(effective 19 February 2004), paragraph 7-3-3:
"The greatest vortex strength occurs when the generating aircraft is
HEAVY, CLEAN, and SLOW." [emphasis present in original document]

A clean aircraft generates stronger wake vortices than does one
configured for landing.

Not necessarily. When it is landing it will be SLOW, which is
much more important than the minimal effect of how it happens
to be configured.
CV