Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

Old October 16th 17, 01:40 PM
Squeaky Squeaky is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWX[_2_] View Post
On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:22:24 AM UTC-7, Rich Owen wrote:
All military aircraft have transponders and we do show up on on civilian equipment.

I agree with JS... and have come to my own conclusion that not all these fighters are squawking with a transponder.

Sure hope that DOD budget can afford ADS-B out 1090ES for all their equipment.
OK, fyi... All fighters have transponders. FYI only the LEAD aircraft squawks for the formation. If you encounter numbers 2-4 leaving the range and flying at a speed to catch up to lead aircraft who is climbing out or transiting airspace at the normal 300kt IAS, the wingman will be faster. Quite often, in tactical formation, the spread between aircraft can be two nm. So you can encounter a fighter not squawking because he is a wingman, and you may not see the lead/squawking aircraft because of the distance away. And the lead aircraft WILL have his transponder on. We never turned it off during stateside operations because there was never a reason to. In theater, sure, all the time it goes off.

The military is dealing with how to comply with ADSB. However, the military budget has been crap since 2013, and frankly we do not have the money to upgrade the aircraft and also keep them combat capable. We desire to do both, but we do not have the money, but it is the plan.

Oh, and to make things worse.... We used to fly "non standard formation" all the time ... meaning as a tactical group, you really do not want all aircraft at the same altitude, so we would have aircraft in a tactical box formation, roughly 6000-9000 feet apart in each element, with the second element 2nm in trail of the first element, and all four aircraft at different altitudes up to 4000' apart.

Last edited by Squeaky : October 16th 17 at 02:05 PM.
Old October 16th 17, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

maanantai 16. lokakuuta 2017 15.43.08 UTC+3 Squeaky kirjoitti:

However, the
military budget has been crap since 2013, and frankly we do not have the
money to upgrade the aircraft and also keep them combat capable.

US military budget is $523.9 billion for 2017, just to put crap in perspective.
Old October 16th 17, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

LOL The us military has access to printing presses that spit out money all day long.
Old October 16th 17, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 9:24:51 AM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
maanantai 16. lokakuuta 2017 15.43.08 UTC+3 Squeaky kirjoitti:

However, the
military budget has been crap since 2013, and frankly we do not have the
money to upgrade the aircraft and also keep them combat capable.

US military budget is $523.9 billion for 2017, just to put crap in perspective.

Most federal money is spent on war toys, rent seeking corporate interests and investment bank bailouts. The rest is just wasted.

/s

T8
Old October 16th 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

This is disturbing news to hear that the military can not afford to comply with the ADS-B requirement while GA is required.
And why the wingmen in formation turn off their transponders?

Ramy

Old October 16th 17, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 12:57:35 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
This is disturbing news to hear that the military can not afford to
comply with the ADS-B requirement while GA is required.
And why the wingmen in formation turn off their transponders?

Hi Ramy - IIRC, for civilian formation flying, procedure is normally
the same; only one in formation has transponder on. Why?
Because otherwise they all get interrogated at the same time,
they all answer at the same time, and the result is unintelligible
(this is called "fruiting", kinda like everyone shouting at the
same time - even worse than RAS).

In principal this is less of a problem with Mode S, except a
mode S transponder behaves like an old Mode C when it gets an
old-style interrogation. And while ground stations send new-style
interrogation, older TCAS-I installations send the old-style
interrogation. And these are installed in better-equipped GA
aircraft like Lee's Bonanza.

Darryl, please correct if I've garbled (fruited) this...

Hope that's clear!
Best Regards, Dave
Old October 16th 17, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Well I (or Wikipedia) was not so much off, only amount that is my country's entire budget for one year
Old October 16th 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 7:04:05 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 9:24:51 AM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
maanantai 16. lokakuuta 2017 15.43.08 UTC+3 Squeaky kirjoitti:

However, the
military budget has been crap since 2013, and frankly we do not have the
money to upgrade the aircraft and also keep them combat capable.

US military budget is $523.9 billion for 2017, just to put crap in perspective.

Most federal money is spent on war toys, rent seeking corporate interests and investment bank bailouts. The rest is just wasted.

/s

T8

According to an article on Yahoo news this morning: "An internal study issued by the Defense Department in 2015 uncovered a staggering $125 billion in bureaucratic waste. The report was promptly buried by the Pentagon and only came to light following an investigation by the Washington Post newspaper.."
Old October 16th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Auxvache

Flew us nationals this summer with a new ship, new pf core feeding LX9000. Used the same config settings as the old glider, changed only to reflect the new ship's transponder.
Double checked these settings after the first day, when the constant alarms caused by one competitor's transponder hijacked the instrument until I could get several miles away from him.
Later in the contest, I heard one contestant ask another to turn off his transponder when entering the gaggle.
Perhaps someone could review here the proper settings in the config file and in the LX to best mitigate false txpdr alarms.
Thanks in advance.