Nose hook addition

Old April 24th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Nose hook addition

I have a PIK-20B and really would like to add a nose tow hook. It's
licensed experimental, so what, other than a 337, would I have to do.
It seems I remember a Schreder-type tow hook added to a German glider
at TSA some years ago. I don't remember who owned it. This glider
originally had only a CG hook like my PIK. It may be more trouble than
it's worth, but if you have experience with this, please respond.

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (TE)

Old April 24th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As Steve said, if you really want this, check with Applebay Aviation.
I told Dub Taylor built a nose hook 'bra' many years ago that allowed a
nose tow from a CG hook, the whole assembly releasing. I believe Fred
Herr mentioned using one of these at Waverly West Soaring Ranch in the
1970's.

Frank Whiteley

Old April 29th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 23 Apr 2006 19:00:49 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

I have a PIK-20B and really would like to add a nose tow hook. It's
licensed experimental, so what, other than a 337, would I have to do.
It seems I remember a Schreder-type tow hook added to a German glider
at TSA some years ago. I don't remember who owned it. This glider
originally had only a CG hook like my PIK. It may be more trouble than
it's worth, but if you have experience with this, please respond.

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (TE)

I have been a PIK 20B jockey in Australia for about 4 years and a
couple of years back made a decision to install a nose release in the
glider when I moved to a club that was predominantly aerotow
launching. The work was undertaken by Joe Luciani (Composite
Components, Horsham Airfield, Horsham, Victoria) and comprised the
fitting of a small new bulkhead in the nose cone, attachment of the
Tost release, and opening up and fabricating the front ring access.
The pitot was relocated to the top section of the fin.

Whilst fitting the nose release cable the opportunity was also taken
to re-design the cable run to the belly release that had been a
constant pain in the arse due to the high friction losses in the
Bowden cable loop. The new design has the cable running along the
bottom of the fuselage with a direct straight forward pull on the
(shortened) release actuating arm. Compared with the PIK original
design this is just magic and has been adopted here by other PIK 20B
owners, with official GFA (Gliding Federation of Australia) approval.

The whole exercise has been well worth the expense and is highly
recommended. I'll dig out some photos showing the arrangement -
anyone interested in these please email me directly. I'm sure Joe
Luciani would provide further details if approached.

Geoff Vincent
Grampians Soaring Club
PIK 20B VH-GAX

Lawsuit filed over AFA towpilot fatality Stewart Kissel Soaring 20 June 11th 17 02:58 PM
SZD55 Launch hook info Sleigh Soaring 3 December 28th 05 08:57 PM
slow roll in a super decathlon Nobody Aerobatics 4 August 24th 05 02:36 AM
Three more newbie Qs, if you don't mind :) Ramapriya Piloting 17 November 7th 04 05:03 AM
VW-1 C-121J landing with unlocked nose wheel Mel Davidow LT USNR Ret Military Aviation 1 January 19th 04 05:22 AM