Glide Navigator II v2.41 problems

Old April 4th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glide Navigator II v2.41 problems

Security of downloaded *.cai and *.igc files

Equipment: Cambridge GPS-NAV v6.0
Cambridge LNAV v5.8
iPAQ 3950 running Glide Navigator II v2.41
Goddard PS-5a power converter installed
SeeYou (PC) v3.2

Hi Everyone,

I'm frustrated. I downloaded and installed GNII v2.41 a couple of
weeks ago, and I've had several problems with all of my magic ever
since. Some of the squawks I've been able to fix, but on others
I'm completely stumped! I need your help.

My biggest concern is that at the end of my flight, when I download the
*.cai and *.igc files to my iPAQ, I get the message "security of
files unknown," or something like that. The first time it happened,
I converted the *.cai file from the iPAQ to *.igc format through SeeYou
(PC), but it flunked the OLC security (no or bad G-record). Having
SeeYou convert the file has up until now worked fine for the OLC, even
though I know they don't recommend it. To help troubleshoot the
problem, on my next flight I again got the "security unknown"
message after downloading the files to my iPAQ, but this time I removed
my GPS-NAV from my glider and connected it directly to my PC and
downloaded the files again directly to my PC. I again converted the
*.cai file to *.igc through SeeYou, but it flunked OLC again, for the
bad G-record. While it is possible that the OLC no longer likes my
technique of using SeeYou to convert the files, it doesn't explain
why I'm getting a bad security message after downloading my flight to
the iPAQ. Any ideas?

Next problem: This may be a coincidence, but it may be related to the
first problem. Immediately after installing GNII v2.41 to my iPAQ, my
LNAV started to give me bad glide data. My iPAQ would give me accurate
altitude required to a fix, while the LNAV would say something stupid,
like requiring 12,000 feet to glide 1 mile. The iPAQ and the GPS-NAV
were both showing the same active fix, and both were using the fixes
from the GPS-NAV database. After two days of checking everything 5
times, I discovered that a soft-boot of my LNAV solved the problem. (I
went to the LNAV configure screen, adjusted any parameter, then exited
the configure mode, which forced the soft-boot.) If I then hard-booted
the LNAV (by turning the power off), the problem returned. Any ideas?

Safe soaring!
"CF"

Old April 4th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would guess that your second issue (with the LNAV) is the internal
LNAV backup battery that has died. Mine did about two weeks ago and I
was getting all sorts of goofy stuff. When I turned it on I noticed
that the default field elevation was 3240 feet or so. The previous week
I was at the same airport and had set it to 880 feet. Reset it to 880
and went up to fly and it was giving me all sorts of weird indicators.
Back on the ground, I turned it off and back on. Sure enough, the field
elevation was back to 3240. Put in a new battery and everything was
hunky dory.

Regards,

Larry

-- zero one -

ups.com:

Old April 4th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

For some reason, a bug developed in Glide Navigator II a few revisions ago
which leads to Glide Navigator II showing a false download security failure.
The .cai file is secure but GN II doesn't seem to know it. This is
documented on the GN II revisions page.

The IGC issue is not due to GN II. Please make certain that you download
the latest version of SeeYou and also install the patch for the OLC 2006.
That may solve the problem. Also make sure you open the .cai file in
SeeYou, not the IGC file that is downloaded by GN II or any other software.
The IGC file is not secure, the .cai file is.

Also, Glide Navigator II is capable of logging a flight to memory on the PDA
as you fly. The IGC file's filename contains text that should make it
obvious (GNII). However, the GN II created flight logs are saved in the
same directory as the flight logs GN II downloads from the flight recorder
and the same directory that the Cambridge 300 utility saves flight logs into
as well. I wonder whether many of the OLC failures are due to pilots
opening downloaded igc files or GN II generated igc files rather than the
..cai file that should be used.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.