Any W&B calculators that work in 640x480 on HP4700 PDA?

Old November 13th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc,uk.rec.aviation
John T[_2_]

Default Any W&B calculators that work in 640x480 on HP4700 PDA?

"Peter" wrote in message

Unfortunately, Flytebalance (just installed & uninstalled it) is hard
coded for 320x240... same as nearly everything around.

Actually, it's not hard-coded.

However, the .NET Compact Framework 1.1 doesn't automatically resize various
graphical controls when running apps on a VGA screen. Installing the .NET
Compact Framework v2 resolves that issue.

Thanks for trying it, though!

I'm not just a satisfied user. I'm the author.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old November 13th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc,uk.rec.aviation
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

"Peter" wrote in message
In case anyone is interested, I settled on FlightCalc. It does the
whole job OK.

It has a European airports database which seems OK for the UK but
elsewhere a load of smaller airports are missing. Anyway, I don't need
this.

Like most pocket/pc apps it is still hard coded for 320x240 but
curiously its W&B graph comes up in full 640x480. It is much easier to
use in 320x240 though.

A lot of the other progs need Micro$oft NET framework version 1,2, or
3 and installing that overflows the memory on the PDA... The HP 4700
is not exactly low-end so I don't know why programmers need to use
these bloated software libraries (25MB) just to develop a trivial
program like this.

..Net for the Windows mobile o/s is not nearly that big, Peter. The 4700 must
be an earlier model with low memory capacity.

Old November 13th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc,uk.rec.aviation
John T[_2_]

Peter wrote:

No pocket/pc applications I have seen actually resize their icons,
i.e. none look the same in 640x480 as they do in 320x240. I think
TomTom 5 gets closest to this, but then TT5 doesn't seem to use the
standard pocket/pc graphical objects anyway.

As you've discovered, there are several ways to handle higher resolutions.
The underlying OS calls don't account for different screen sizes or
orientations. That's the developer's job.

For another non-aviation app, I actually did include 32x32 icons for when
the app was running in VGA mode for precisely the reason you mentioned
(image quality).

I was unable to install .NET v2 on the HP4700 - the install crashes.
It's a big object - the download is 25MB.

That's disappointing. I looked at the FlyteBalance code again just to be
sure and I definitely do not take resolution into account so the .NET CF v2
is most assuredly resizing the icons appropriately. (Under the hood, it
recognizes FlyteBalance and a v1.1 app and assumes control-resizling must be
needed.)

I am not a Windows programmer but I guess a lot of people make the
win32 API calls directly, rather than using .NET.

Yeah, see my first point above. Most PPC/SmartPhone apps are still C++,
but .NET is catching on quickly.

Old November 14th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc,uk.rec.aviation
Hilton

Peter,

The other thing, as I wrote, was that I would like something that runs
in 640x480 mode. I did actually email everybody and so far only one,
FlyteBalance, confirms that it does.

I seem to recall replying to your email(s). If not, sorry about that, but
yes, WingX will work with 640x480 and 480x640 (portrait/landscape).

I don't like the manual way of working it out - especially if one is
using the "slanted graph" representation where the x axis is the
turning moment.

WingX 2.0 allows you to view the W&B graph by reference to weight or moment;
i.e. slanted and not slanted. FYI: WingX 2.0 also adds helicopter (lateral)
W&B.

Thanks,

Hilton

Old November 14th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc,uk.rec.aviation
John T

"Peter" wrote in message

My HP4700 has 64MB of RAM & WM2003 SE v 4.21.1088 build 15045.2.6.0

I do have a fair # of other apps on there already. 4.90MB is free
(storage) and 8.38MB (programs). Not enough for .NET evidently.
With the appropriate screen calls to get
the current screen size, one can work in 640x480. But M$ is trying to
get everybody to use .NET now. This may be OK on a PC (where the ~
150MB runtime is tolerable, and (like with Java) it's a fair
assumption that most people will eventually have it) but on a PPC it
is quite limiting. The latest .NET will eat up a lot of memory.

Just to clarify, the actual Compact Framework v2 installer is about 2MB in
size. The full download from Microsoft includes installers for several
different platforms, documentation, etc. that bloat its size.

Also, PocketPC 2003 and Windows Mobile 5 do ship with a version of the CF
installed, it's just that it's outdated. Windows Mobile 5 devices also don't
have a distinction between ROM and RAM.