Sectional Map Error

Old November 15th 03, 06:31 AM

Default Sectional Map Error

Near as I can tell, the West Gladstone (9C9) airport is just not where
the FAA sectional says it is. I think it's on one side of the Escanaba River
and the FAA says the other.

The funny thing is that the GPS database is correct.

BTW, I would bet alot of money that not one person here has even been
within 50 miles of the West Gladstone airport. Even so, the map
should probably be fixed.

NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email
Old November 15th 03, 07:32 AM
Craig Prouse

" wrote:

BTW, I would bet alot of money that not one person here has even been
within 50 miles of the West Gladstone airport. Even so, the map
should probably be fixed.

My dad was briefly based at K.I. Sawyer AFB back in 1968, when I was just a
toddler. But that was within 50 miles, right? Was West Gladstone in
operation back then?

I've actually had success in getting a handful of charting errors fixed in
the last few years. Just write them up and send them to one of the
addresses published on the chart for that purpose. Apparently, the airport
identifier has changed from 9C9 to 43MI as well?

Old November 15th 03, 02:59 PM
Bob Fry

writes:

Even so, the map
should probably be fixed.

http://www.avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/faq#q5

How can I report chart discrepancies?

You are encouraged to bring charting errors to our attention. On every
NACO Aeronautical product, we have a note that describes how to report
charting errors. You may contact us by mail, telephone, and e-mail:

Mailing Address:
FAA, National Aeronautical Charting Office
AVN-500, SSMC4, Station 2335
1305 East West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3281

Telephone.......(800) 626-3677 toll free, U.S. only

Old November 15th 03, 05:39 PM
Yossarian

They are quite responsive. I emailed them once about something on the L.A.
terminal chart, 2 days later the guy responsible for the chart and his boss
both wrote back to me.

Old November 15th 03, 10:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

Near as I can tell, the West Gladstone (9C9) airport is just not where
the FAA sectional says it is. I think it's on one side of the Escanaba
River and the FAA says the other.

The current Green Bay sectional puts it west of the Escanaba River. The
2003 Michigan Airport Directory puts it west of the Escanaba River. The
DeLorme Michigan Atlas & Gazetteer puts it west of the Escanaba River. What
side of the river do you think it's on?

Incidentally, the airport identifier has changed, it's now 43MI.

The funny thing is that the GPS database is correct.

BTW, I would bet alot of money that not one person here has even been
within 50 miles of the West Gladstone airport.

How much are you willing to bet?

Even so, the map
should probably be fixed.

Well, unless the airport was moved recently, the map appears to be correct.

Old November 15th 03, 10:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Craig Prouse" wrote in message

My dad was briefly based at K.I. Sawyer AFB back in 1968, when
I was just a toddler. But that was within 50 miles, right?

Yes.

Was West Gladstone in operation back then?

Apparently not. It does not appear on the 1975 Michigan aeronautical chart,
but it does appear in the 1977 Michigan airport directory.

I've actually had success in getting a handful of charting errors fixed in
the last few years. Just write them up and send them to one of the
addresses published on the chart for that purpose. Apparently, the
airport identifier has changed from 9C9 to 43MI as well?

It has.

Old November 16th 03, 05:09 AM
Charles Talleyrand

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message ink.net...
The current Green Bay sectional puts it west of the Escanaba River. The
2003 Michigan Airport Directory puts it west of the Escanaba River. The
DeLorme Michigan Atlas & Gazetteer puts it west of the Escanaba River. What
side of the river do you think it's on?

Incidentally, the airport identifier has changed, it's now 43MI.

My experience puts it on the west side of the Escanaba River also.
I was flying around Escanaba when I heard a Stinson was to land
at West Gladstone, so I flew over to check it out.

Old November 16th 03, 01:09 PM
Kyler Laird

"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:

The current Green Bay sectional puts it west of the Escanaba River. The
2003 Michigan Airport Directory puts it west of the Escanaba River. The
DeLorme Michigan Atlas & Gazetteer puts it west of the Escanaba River. What
side of the river do you think it's on?

Maps can be wrong. Photos are a little harder to goof.
http://www.acme.com/mapper/mapper.cg...ht=2&do t=Yes

--kyler
Old November 17th 03, 01:51 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message

Maps can be wrong. Photos are a little harder to goof.

http://www.acme.com/mapper/mapper.cg...ht=2&do t=Yes

The photo seems to agree with the maps. All of the maps.

Old November 17th 03, 10:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:

Maps can be wrong. Photos are a little harder to goof.

http://www.acme.com/mapper/mapper.cg...ht=2&do t=Yes

The photo seems to agree with the maps. All of the maps.

It's good to see that you're staying sharp.

--kyler

WAC vs Sectional [email protected] General Aviation 12 February 2nd 05 03:03 PM
Pilot Error? Is it Mr. Damron? Badwater Bill Home Built 3 June 23rd 04 04:05 PM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: how I convert sectional maps to map chunks Kyler Laird General Aviation 2 December 4th 03 01:09 AM
Old New York Sectional PaulaJay1 Owning 2 November 25th 03 03:27 AM
Compass turning error Marty Ross Piloting 3 August 21st 03 02:53 PM