VALVES More is Better

Old January 12th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default VALVES More is Better

If you'll go over and take a look at my blog, the first article is a
thingee about valves.

It is mostly basic stuff but if also includes a few tricks of the
trade that allows your engine to take a deeper breath when using just
the STOCK valves. This is another of those cases where you pick up a
bit more power for FREE, assuming you're willing to put some work into
it.

This isn't new material. Some of the drawings are ten years old. But
I've included a photo taken just last night (Sunday, 11 Jan 2009) to
quell the qualms of a young fellow who was pretty sure I was shooting
him a line, in that, if doing all that stuff to a simple valve was so
GOOD, how come he'd never seen it in any of 'his' magazines.

I don't know. Perhaps you should be directing such questions to 'his'
editors.

But for all the rest of youse guys -- the ones who DON'T own a
magazine, you might want to take a peek at Bill Fisher's book. Yeah,
I know... first published in 1970, meaning it must be outta date...
except it isn't. In Bill's book, on page 51 (of my edition, printed
by H.P.Books in 1970) Bill has kindly included a drawing showing the
head of a valve which incorporates the features I've described in my
blog article. But what's possibly of more importance to you, I've
explained how you can modify an EXISTING valve; how to round the
corners and get rid of the lip, so as to allow the valve to FLOW
BETTER. Which is what we want.

You be the judge. Which is only fair, since you are the Mechanic-in-
charge.

-R.S.Hoover
Old January 13th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bod43

On 12 Jan, 19:59, " wrote:
[...]

Bob,

Where do you get "youse guys" from?

I am from Glasgow, Scotland and that plural
form of "you" is not uncommon (in the spoken word).
It is used *nowhere* else in the UK as far as I am aware.

It's kind of a working class thing - sorry but it's the only
way I can find to express it.

I'll do a bit of googling to see if I can find you a clip.
I think that Rab C Nesbit will be my man.

Yours intrigued,
Me.
Old January 13th 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
JohnO

On Jan 13, 2:06*pm, bod43 wrote:
On 12 Jan, 19:59, " wrote:

[...]

It is commonly used in New Zealand in working class dialects.

Old January 13th 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bod43

On 13 Jan, 01:27, JohnO wrote:
On Jan 13, 2:06*pm, bod43 wrote:

On 12 Jan, 19:59, " wrote:

[...]

Well NZ makes sense since I would imagine that
quite a few Glaswegians have headed off in that
direction over the last couple of centuries.
Or maybe it evolved independently there?

I have found some clips.

Please remember that this is a COMEDY show.
It is no more typical of a Scot than Bart Simpson is of an
American. OOPS - well there is a certain truth to it too))
That's what makes it particularly funny.

BTW - This show is more focussed on a non-working class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs 1:35
"nothing from youse"
(giro = unemployment check)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goSLg5D7BQU&NR=1 2:07
"youse always mair (more) guests on than youse need"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3d55p2G_Ac&NR=1
just watch this one anyway - made me giggle.

Thanks.
Old January 13th 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article
,
bod43 wrote:

Bob,

Where do you get "youse guys" from?

I am from Glasgow, Scotland and that plural
form of "you" is not uncommon (in the spoken word).
It is used *nowhere* else in the UK as far as I am aware.

It's kind of a working class thing - sorry but it's the only
way I can find to express it.

I'll do a bit of googling to see if I can find you a clip.
I think that Rab C Nesbit will be my man.

Yours intrigued,
Me.

It's a working class thing here, too. More so in the area around
southern New England (NY and NJ, in particular).

It was popularized in American movies and radio from the early sound
days, usually to mark someone as uneducated or uncultured, sometimes to
enhance the effect of the person talking that way taking on and beating
the snob at his own game. Probably used to similar effect in Vaudeville
before the movies came along.
Old January 13th 09, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 12, 5:06*pm, bod43 wrote:

Where do you get "youse guys" from?

Dear Bod43,

From the vernacular of the English language (as distinct from a
dialect). And as with the language, it was imported. But being an
American, who writes for a diverse audience, I think I'm supposed to
know that sort of thing... even though I can't provide a precise
etymology of the word, other than to point out its occurrence in
American literature.

One thing you be sure of; it is NOT the product of education since I
went to work at an early age. I never finished High School in the
formal sense although the Navy allowed me to sit for a 'High School
Equivalency Test' shortly after I enlisted (and later that same year
[ie, when I was 17] for a 'Two-Year College Equivalency Test'). I
earned high scores in both. But when you think about it, it IS our
language and we're expected to know it if we want to communicate.

My main regret at the moment is seeing my memory nibbled away by the
chemotherapy which is probably prolonging my life by poisoning the
tumor which is trying to end it.

-Bob
Old January 13th 09, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:06:15 -0800 (PST), bod43
wrote:

On 12 Jan, 19:59, " wrote:
[...]

youse guys will find it in australia as well :-)

working class ???? whats a class??? :-) :-)

Stealth Pilot
Old January 13th 09, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:10:51 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 12, 5:06*pm, bod43 wrote:

Where do you get "youse guys" from?

Dear Bod43,

From the vernacular of the English language (as distinct from a
[...]

bob
dont be worried about the memory loss.
this is indicative of a lack of vitamin B12 in your system which is
probably a side effect of your medications.
talk to your doctors about it next visit ...if you remember :-)
your chemotherapy looks to be amazing from here.
hopefully it will be successful and you'll return to normal
eventually.

personally I prefer you like this :-) :-)
regards
ol' snake unda the verandah

Old January 13th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 13, 1:23*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

your chemotherapy looks to be amazing from here.

With only one personal bout with cancer on which to base my opinions,
I'm sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop. Over the past six
months I've even had a couple of geezers tell me how lucky I am.
(Turned out, one of them was ten years younger than me... which his
running mate shared with me as part of the package that included
letting me know I wouldn't be seeing 'the kid' at our monthly Drip
Session any more. [Zometa {lookit up} They poke a hose in your arm
and let you lay there while it goes drip-drip-drip.] ) My Zometa
sessions are scheduled monthly; others aren't so lucky. But since the
lab 'cooks' your dosage right there on the premises, they try to
schedule a batch of us at the same time. Since you're laying there
for up to four hours (!) they often turn into chat-sessions. Which
leads to some interesting friendships.

Labs, on the other hand (at east for blood work) are typically walk-
ins, although I try to do mine on the same day of the week and at
about the same time, so as to improve my odds of getting one of the
more competent phlebotomists (in my opinion). This also meshes for
picking up prescriptions at the doctor's office, and having them
filled at a pharmacy just around the corner... sort of One-Stop
Schlepping.

Medical 'conferences' are among the most difficult scheduling chores,
although as the thrill of electronics seeps into the world of Dr.
Kildare, medical conferencing via computer appears to becoming more
the norm than the exception. And certainly saves on tires & gas. But
I hate the thought of people turning to me for advice (or even
information) on such things since it implies I've become something of
medical groupy, where the Winner is the one having the most deadly
disease. Still, my initial encounters with the Medical System lead to
a number of surprises, not all of them good. It would probably be
for the good if more people had better access to VALID information
about American medical care and insurance. As it is, most of us are
victimized twice, one by the disease then again by the medical system.

-Bob

ADJUSTING VW VALVES -- AGAIN [email protected] Home Built 1 December 18th 08 09:13 PM
LS8 water valves Bela[_2_] Soaring 3 June 30th 08 03:48 AM
A-65 Continental 100 Octane Valves: HELP! Scott Home Built 5 February 14th 05 03:11 PM
Exhaust Valves Boelkowj Home Built 4 January 25th 05 12:15 AM
Weatherhead fuel valves? Yosimite Sam Home Built 2 February 14th 04 12:21 AM