Catheter Stories -- Add your own

Old April 26th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Catheter Stories -- Add your own

There I was. just exiting the start cylinder at Perry, SC contest 3
years ago when it all started..

Getting into position had been a struggle since I was the last one in
the class to launch. It was a hot day in South Carolina and looked like
it would be blue. I really wanted to stay within reach of the gaggles.
Picked one of the best looking gaggles right off tow and started
climbing with them. Others joined below. Although I had been hydrating
and really needed to go, peeing would have to wait.

When the gate opened, white fiberglass train started north toward the
first turnpoint. With no one below I connected the catheter to the pee
tube. OK, let it go. Don't lose sight of the planes ahead. What the
@#$%#@$!!! I felt back pressure and the catheter was quickly
approaching the size of a grapefruit!!! Luckily no one was near me
because I am sure I was all over the sky trying to figure out what was
going on. Quickly evaluating the possibilities of either a profound
blowout or the difficulties of trying to disconnect and somehow dealing
with the aftermath wasn't looking too good. Was just about to turn back
to fix the problem and relight when I realized that the catheter was
actually deflating slowly. Obviously the hose was somehow pinched or
something. Once I realized that it was indeed deflating and that I
could pee slowly enough with enough pressure to take care of my needs, I
continued on course.

That could have been the end of the story, but of course there is more.

Half an hour later, approaching the first turnpoint, getting low-ish,
deviated over better terrain with more landing possibilities. I hit a
burble. 1 knotter. better than nothing though. make a turn.
Concentrate, Larry. Center this one! What is that? Those people down
there look like ants walking along. Holy S***!!! They are ants. fire
ants.. walking along the canopy rail inside the canopy!! I start
killing them as fast as I can. And again I am all over the sky.

Thoroughly spooked but eventually managed to center the thermal,
continue on my way, and finish the task.

Upon landing, I found that the problem was... The glider had been
sitting in some grass prior to launch. A stalk of the grass had found
its way right to the exit hole of the pee tube and ants had filled the
inside of the pee tube, effectively blocking it!!! Luckily I had a one
of the self sealing connectors in the end of the pee tube or I may well
have had a cockpit or a catheter full of "****ed off" ants!!! Still
gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about it!

-- zero one --

Old April 27th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Can't top that one Zero One. My biggest surprise was my first flight at
Ely last year, two hours into the flight I discovered during my second
relief operation that the first one had frozen in the exit tube
somewhere below and aft of the seat pan. (The slings and arrows of
cruising above 15,000'!) I had a ziplock baggie with my trail mix
snack. For the remaining five hours of the flight I re-used that baggie
by dumping it out the side vent. Not pleasant or pretty but on that day
I woulda peed in my pants to keep that flight going!

Old April 27th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"****ed off" ants!!!

I think they were ****ed on

LOL
Old April 27th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Similar situation, tube blocked, relief won't wait only mine did not
drain at all. Hit the critical mass, condom blowout!. I too was rather
high and the release went every where because of the pressure and lack
of pressure at altitude. Told story to wife about why my pants were
rather wet and stinky when I got home. She, of course, told her
partner and employees at work. They think my sport is pretty wierd
anyways but this put them in stitches. The event became known as
"Piddler on the Roof". Really glad they had a good laugh

Tom Dixon
Idaho

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'There I was… just exiting the start cylinder at st1lace w:st="on"st1:City
w:st="on"Perry/st1:City, st1:State w:st="on"SC/st1:State/st1lace
contest 3 years ago when it all started…. o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'Getting into position had been a struggle since I was the last one in
the class to launch.  It was a hot day in st1:State w:st="on"st1lace
w:st="on"South Carolina/st1lace/st1:State and looked like it would be
blue.  I really wanted to stay within reach of the gaggles. Picked one of
the best looking gaggles right off tow and started climbing with them.
Others joined below.  Although I had been hydrating and really needed to
go, peeing would have to wait.  o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'When the gate opened, white fiberglass train started north toward the
first turnpoint.  With no one below I connected the catheter to the pee
tube.  OK, let it go.  Don’t lose sight of the planes
ahead.  What the @#$%#@$!!!   I felt back pressure and the catheter
was quickly approaching the size of a grapefruit!!!  Luckily no one was near
me because I am sure I was all over the sky trying to figure out what was going
on.   Quickly evaluating the possibilities of either a profound
blowout or the difficulties of trying to disconnect and somehow dealing with
the aftermath wasn’t looking too good.  Was just about to turn back
to fix the problem and relight when I realized that the catheter was actually
deflating slowly.  Obviously the hose was somehow pinched or
something.  Once I realized that it was indeed deflating and that I could
pee slowly enough with enough pressure to take care of my needs, I continued on
course.o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'That could have been the end of the story, but of course there is more.o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'Half an hour later, approaching the first turnpoint, getting low-ish,
deviated over better terrain with more landing possibilities.  I hit a
burble… 1 knotter… better than nothing though…  make a
turn.  Concentrate, Larry.  Center this one!  What is
that?  Those people down there look like ants walking along… Holy
S***!!! They are ants… fire ants.. walking along the canopy rail inside
the canopy!!  I start killing them as fast as I can… And again I am
all over the sky.o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'Thoroughly spooked but eventually managed to center the thermal, continue
on my way, and finish the task.o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'Upon landing, I found that the problem was…….  The
glider had been sitting in some grass prior to launch.  A stalk of the
grass had found its way right to the exit hole of the pee tube and ants had
filled the inside of the pee tube, effectively blocking it!!!  Luckily I
had a one of the self sealing connectors in the end of the pee tube or I may
well have had a cockpit or a catheter full of “****ed off” ants!!!
Still gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about it!o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'-- zero one --o/o/span/font/p

/div

/body

/html

--AC466706-9972-48E9-8750-79619AD60231--

Painless Removal of External Male Catheter? (ouch) ContestID67 Soaring 29 May 1st 06 03:27 AM
Pilot Stories Frank Piloting 0 August 9th 05 07:58 PM
Alarming news stories on instructor and student down at HPN Tom Fleischman Instrument Flight Rules 35 April 28th 05 04:53 PM
Student Pilot Stories Wanted Greg Burkhart Piloting 6 September 18th 03 08:57 PM