PowerFLARM bundled display

Old November 10th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default PowerFLARM bundled display

An external display is optonally bundled with the "blind" PowerFLARM.

Early reports seemed to indicate that it would be a Butterfly panel
mounted display. Now other sources seem to show it is a stalk mounted
unit that is not compatible with a standard instrument hole.

Is the bundled display defined yet? If so, where are the specs?

thanks

Andy

Old November 10th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Nov 10, 7:57*am, Andy wrote:
An external display is optonally bundled with the "blind" PowerFLARM.

Early reports seemed to indicate that it would be a Butterfly panel
mounted display. *Now other sources seem to show it is a stalk mounted
unit that is not compatible with a standard instrument hole.

Is the bundled display defined yet? *If so, where are the specs?

thanks

Andy

There are two display options. A rectangular butterfly display or one
for mounting in a stamdard 80mm hole. The rectangular display is the
"standard" external display with a brick. The round hole one costs a
bit more. The rectangular one can be flipped with the knob on either
side. Because it gives access to configuration settings and new
features in the PowerFLARM you really need one of these displays with
the brick, even if planning to use a third party display (e.g. SeeYou
Mobile or other soaring software on a PDA, a ClearNav etc.).

Pretty clear information on the display options is on Craggy Aero's
web site and Cumulus Soaring's web site and you can look at the
current Flarm versions of these displays (including German language
manuals, install templates etc.) on Butterfly's (the manufacturer of
PowerFLARM) web site. There are nice third party mount trays available
in Europe today for attaching the rectangular display to a glareshield
etc. I'll leave finding those Web sites as an exercise.

Other dealers are Williams Soaring and Knauff and Grove and I know
they can also answer questions on the display options as well. If you
want to order one and still have questions you might just want to
contact your favorite dealer.

Darryl
Old November 10th 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_2_]

Am 10.11.2010 17:13, Darryl Ramm wrote:

There are two display options. A rectangular butterfly display or one
for mounting in a stamdard 80mm hole.

The round butterfly display fits in a 57mm hole, not 80mm.
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old November 10th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman

Darryl,

Mind sparing us the work? :-)

C'mon, share what you found.

Juan

Old November 10th 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

You can see details and dimensions of the available options he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm

The 57 mm display is shown at the very bottom of the page. It is currently
not available "bundled" with the PowerFLARM Brick. It is an extra cost
option.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 10th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Nov 10, 9:17*am, Juanman wrote:
Darryl,

Mind sparing us the work? *:-)

C'mon, share what you found.

Juan

*There are nice third party mount trays available

in Europe today for attaching the rectangular display to a glareshield
etc. I'll leave finding those Web sites as an exercise.

OK now I'm caffinated...

Butterfly Flarm display product page at http://goo.gl/suuuD

Photos of installed displays at http://goo.gl/yfw9t

German language manuals and installation templates etc. at http://goo.gl/ERwJB

(These manuals etc. are for the current Butterfly Flarm displays,
there will at least need to be firmware and documentation updates to
support PowerFLARM).

There is a nice looking square Butterfly display holders several
suppliers are selling in Europe e.g. http://goo.gl/9jWW1

And yes thanks Peter for the correction, I meant the round display is
for a 57mm hole and wrote 80mm by mistake.

USA Dealers -

Craggy Aero http://www.craggyaero.com/powerflarm.htm
Cumulus Soaring http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm
Knauff and Grove http://www.eglider.org/index.php?_a=...&productId=430
Williams Soaring http://www.williamssoaring.com/catalog/powerflarm.html

Hope I did not leave anybody off.

BTW this also answers the original question (a good sign information
is getting easier to find)...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PowerFLARM+display

---

BTW there is a list of USA pilots who have ordered PowerFLARM at

http://www.gliderpilot.org/Flarm-PlanToPurchaseList

For pilots who have placed an order I encourage you to add your name
to this list (see instructions on that page), that lets other pilots
considering PowerFLARM see the level of early adoption and make
decisions about their own purchase. There are around one hundred
orders listed at the moment (the running count is out but is being
fixed) and I know of some pilots who are not listed.

Darryl
Old November 10th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Found the mount on the Butterfly website last night, and threw
together a new panel layout using a Schleicher Word file. Their newer
files include LX8000, 9000 and FLARM displays. The 9000 display can be
shrunk to impersonate LX Mini Map, which is easier to fit (both panel
and budget).
Might as well put the Trig in now, too. The interconnection for
these things is going to be "interesting". 302, Mini Map, FLARM,
Butterfly, Trig... Expecting to get the message:
"PLEASE CONTACT YOUR NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR" (but this is a glider,
isn't it?)
My old OzFLARM was small enough to sit on the top of the panel, but
not the standard PowerFLARM! Thanks again to Darryl for the cardboard
cutout model on his website.
Allegedly the display orientation can be rotated, although on the
Display Einbaubilder page the LS8 panel would have you believe
otherwise.
Jim
Old November 10th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Nov 10, 12:05*pm, JS wrote:
[...]

The German language manual says the rectangular display can be rotated
in 90 degree steps and the earlier start-up screen shown in the Cirrus
photo shows it powering up properly in the vertical mode.

Not sure wht is going on in the LS6.

I agree on the LX Mini Map being interesting - I played with one
recently that Richard from Craggy Aero had at a seminar.

Darryl
Old November 10th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Delta

On Nov 10, 1:02*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Andy,

You can see details and dimensions of the available options hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm

The 57 mm display is shown at the very bottom of the page. *It is currently
not available "bundled" with the PowerFLARM Brick. *It is an extra cost
option.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Too bad they didn't include a SD card slot in the 57mm round display.
How easy would that have been! Would have saved the trouble of having
to put another hole in the panel for the USB port. I'm torn between
the two options at the moment. Does anyone use a chronometer
anymore? I inherited that in my panel and could free up a 57mm round
slot if I remove it.

WD

Old November 10th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 10, 2:02*pm, Whiskey Delta wrote:
*I'm torn between the two options at the moment. *

Me too. I wonder when the user manuals, installation manuals, and
data port specifications will be available. Probably not until
deliveries start and that would be long after the preferential pricing
ends.

My next questions relate to the functionality and user interfaces of
bundled display and portable options:

Is the on-screen data presentation identical? If not, how is it
different?

Is the user interface identical? If not, how is it different? It
appears that the user controls are not the same on the portable unit
as on the rectangular Butterfly display.

I also wonder if the bundled Butterfly display has embedded firmware
and, if so, how is that firmware updated if needed for future
functionality.

Andy

PowerFLARM questions Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 21 November 10th 10 04:05 AM
PowerFLARM Paul Remde Soaring 9 November 6th 10 04:30 AM
PowerFLARM Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 6 November 2nd 10 09:32 AM
PowerFLARM Mode S question kirk.stant Soaring 54 October 26th 10 02:51 PM
Build your own PowerFLARM! Darryl Ramm Soaring 51 August 19th 10 06:39 PM