IGC file viewer (no GPS)

Old February 1st 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default IGC file viewer (no GPS)

Does anyone know of a Windows based IGC file viewer that will properly
display the barograph (altitude) data when the GPS position data is
all zero?

The file was recorded using an ancient EW barograph that has been
converted to receive GPS data but had no GPS connected. The raw EW
data file data can be viewed using the EWVIEW DOS utility but it's not
very portable that way. EWVIEW allows export of an IGC file but
Cambridge Aero Explorer won't display the altitude trace.

A few lines of the file are shown below:

AEWAB0021 9305
HFDTE300111
I013636REX
B1200560000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201010000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201060000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201110000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201160000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201210000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201260000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201310000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201360000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201410000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201460000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201510000000N00000000WV0057000000V
B1201560000000N00000000WV0057000000V

When I was using the EW for glider flight recordeing I post processed
the raw EW data using Quattro Pro to give plots of altitude and
altitude rate. I could re-invent that using Excel but I'd rather not
waste the time. I use the EW to keep a record when I'm towing and
want to share the data with the club timekeeper.

thanks

Andy
Old February 1st 11, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Walsh

Hi Andy,

I use TaskNav for that, it does display a message that no gps data is
present but still goes on the display the Trace OK. It also includes
download utilities for most loggers including EW models A B and D. I think
it is £35 UK for a two machine licence. Just google tasknav.

Terry Walsh

Old February 1st 11, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 1, 9:31*am, Terry Walsh wrote:
[...]

Andy- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the tip Terry. Looks like a nice pachage and I'll consider
it if I come back home.

Andy
Old February 2nd 11, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Walsh

Andy,

No need to come back home you can download the whole thing from the web
site. You can even try it before licensing using a temporary unlock code
given in the help files. The advantage for me is that no editing
(invalidating) of the IGC file is necessary so you can still use it for
badge height claims etc.

Terry

At 23:45 01 February 2011, Andy wrote:
On Feb 1, 9:31=A0am, Terry Walsh wrote:
Hi Andy,

I use TaskNav for that, it does display a message that no gps data is
present but still goes on the display the Trace OK. It also includes
download utilities for most loggers including EW models A B and D. I

thin=
it is =A335 UK for a two machine licence. Just google tasknav.

Terry Walsh

At 16:02 01 February 2011, Andy wrote:

Does anyone know of a Windows based IGC file viewer that will

properly
display the barograph (altitude) data when the GPS position data is
all zero?

The file was recorded using an ancient EW barograph that has been
converted to receive GPS data but had no GPS connected. =A0The raw EW
data file data can be viewed using the EWVIEW DOS utility but it's

not
very portable that way. =A0EWVIEW allows export of an IGC file but
[...]

waste the time. =A0I use the EW to keep a record when I'm towing and

Old February 2nd 11, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 2, 12:51*am, Terry Walsh wrote:
[...]

Right, but my EW model B is not approved for anything anymore (well
maybe still as a barograph) and I have everything I need to make any
claim I want with my 302. I just needed a quick and dirty way to
pass on the results of an afternoon's towing to the time keeper as
there was an error in the club daily flight report.

I didn't spot the trial key feature, if I'd seen that before I had the
reply form Tim I would have tried it.

Andy
Old February 3rd 11, 08:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringpilot[_3_]

You could use Flight Display program from http://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com/FDpage.htm
It would let you display the pressure altitude or GPS altitude after
displaying flight on map. You select which one to use in settings.

Henryk Birecki

Old February 3rd 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 3, 1:59*am, soaringpilot wrote:
You could use Flight Display program fromhttp://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com/FDpage.htm
It would let you display the pressure altitude or GPS altitude after
displaying flight on map. You select which one to use in settings.

Ok, I'll bite. How can I display the flight on a map if it has no GPS
data? WiIl this software actually work with an IGC file that has no
valid GPS data?

Andy
Old February 4th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringpilot[_3_]

OOPS.... I'm sorry. I did not notice. I thought all you did not have
valid GPS altitude. Reading too fast , But you could change all
those lovely Vs in your file into As. With a proper ASCI editor it
takes all of about 1millisecond. Then it will work.

Cheers,
Henryk

On Feb 3, 6:02*am, Andy wrote:
On Feb 3, 1:59*am, soaringpilot wrote:

You could use Flight Display program fromhttp://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com/FDpage.htm
It would let you display the pressure altitude or GPS altitude after
displaying flight on map. You select which one to use in settings.

Ok, I'll bite. *How can I display the flight on a map if it has no GPS
data? *WiIl this software actually work with an IGC file that has no
valid GPS data?

Andy

IGC file viewer for Mac OS X - GammaFV Richard Lancaster Soaring 4 September 15th 13 02:40 AM
Google Earth viewer Fred Blair Soaring 9 May 9th 09 01:42 AM
Assorted Militaria (read the Zero file) - File 35 of 37 - AG-Fighter__47.rar.vol0+1.PAR2 (2/2) Br'er Rabid[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 April 27th 09 01:34 AM
PowerPoint viewer Bruce R Aviation Photos 10 March 6th 07 04:12 AM
New satellite viewer available Stubby Instrument Flight Rules 9 July 7th 05 11:48 AM