Winpilot/SeeYouMob with IPAQ 4150

Old February 23rd 04, 10:47 AM
Nick Gilbert

Default Winpilot/SeeYouMob with IPAQ 4150

Hi There,

Does anyone have any knowledge on the suitability of an IPAQ 4150/4155 for
use with Winpilot/SeeYouMob? I have read some conflicting advice on whether
or not the 4150 is able to communicate serial data (I have a Cambridge
GPS-Nav).

Does anyone know if this will be possible or if bluetooth is the only way
with this model?

Thanks,

Nick
Sydney, Australia

Old February 23rd 04, 08:34 PM
Andrej Kolar

Nick, iPaq 4150/4155 does not have a COM port built in. It will only work
with a Bluetooth GPS receiver, but not with what we normally carry in our
cockpits.

Andrej Kolar

Old February 24th 04, 01:49 AM
Jim Kelly

If you are happy with the smaller display, then consider the H2210,
otherwise you need the larger H5150 or H5550 (sometimes the 0
becomes a 5, same unit).

Pity, the H4150 is a lovely size and weight, but without "serial"
support you cannot link to serial devices like varios and loggers.
Bluetooth works well in a glider but we'd be better off without it
as a simple "serial" cable can replace the two Bluetooth
transmitters, making life for the glider battery less miserable.
Since we need a power cable anyway, Bluetooth offers nil advantage
for gliding.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.

Old February 24th 04, 04:55 AM
tango4

"Jim Kelly" wrote in message
u...
Bluetooth offers nil advantage for gliding.

Except that you can use the newer and lower cost PDA's. Oh, and you only
need one BT converter and once thats in your ship you can transfer the
logger files to a BT laptop without any cables or wiring in the panel and
without breaking the OO's seals.

Ian

Old February 24th 04, 05:11 AM
Nick Gilbert

Andrej,

Thankyou for your reply. Have you tried it? Where does this information come
from?

Regards,

Nick.

Old February 24th 04, 07:17 AM
Andrej Kolar

Nick, I have to add to the confusion and cancel what I said.

A friend of mine tested it this evening. He says:
Have tested that. It works! The data is read from Garmin eTrex to 4150.

So - It does work. Good news! Lots of pages with links to PDA hardware need
updating.

Old February 24th 04, 08:26 AM
Nick Gilbert

Now you see why I need clarification on this point!! I have seen both sides
of the argument!

Nick.

Old February 24th 04, 09:40 AM
Jim Kelly

Please elaborate on how to use:
* WinPilot on a non-serial iPaq with a Volkslogger
* WinPilot on a non-serial iPaq with a Cambridge 302

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

"tango4" wrote in message

| "Jim Kelly" wrote in
message

Old February 24th 04, 09:52 AM
Jim Kelly

Here is an HP FAQ on the H4150 (may need pasting together):

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wpa/vat/ge...f43-349042#usb

quote from it:
"
USB desktop cradle/charger:
Is the iPAQ Pocket PC h4100/h4300 models serial supported?
No. There is no serial support on the h4100/h4300 series.

Does the cradle for the iPAQ Pocket PC h4100/h4300 models support
USB?
Yes, the cradle for the iPAQ Pocket PC h4100 and h4300 is USB
only.

Does this cradle work with iPAQ Pocket PCs other than h4100/h4300
models?
No, this cradle is designed specifically to fit the h4100/h4300
models slim design.
"

Old February 24th 04, 10:33 AM
Nick Gilbert

This is one of the things that I have read. I have found plenty of examples
on the web of people using their IPAQ 4150's to connect to Garmins/Magellans
etc.. I dont see how this would have been possible without serial
connectivity. The other thing I find odd is that the same HP website that is
being quoted from in the prior post sells cables that are universal for all
models! Perhaps what they are saying is that you can no longer buy a
straight serial cable for this model.

The bad news is that I already have the IPAQ, and have just bought a
winpilot licence. I will shortly be able to give DEFINITIVE proof on whether
it works or not. If not, lookout for a cheap 4150 on Ebay!

Nick.

u...