NC Engine Out Landing?

Old August 25th 04, 01:50 AM
John A. Weeks III

Default NC Engine Out Landing?

I took a long road trip over the weekend. At one point, I was
driving north on US-52 just turning onto I-74 near Mt Airy in
north-central North Carolina. As I made the turn, a very low
flying airplane passed over the freeway. It had one engine
stopped and the prop feathered. I think it was a large Cessna,
perhaps a Caravan, and I am pretty sure it was in Fed Ex markings.
The plane was pretty low, perhaps less than 500 feet over the
trees, and really moving fast.

I have no idea if there was an airport, or if the airplane was
in trouble. There were so many trees that it was impossible to
tell what was going on. Anyone know if there is an airport in
this area? Anyone know anything about this incident, or how I
could find out if this plane did make an emergency landing?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old August 25th 04, 02:08 AM
Henry Q. Bibb

In article ,
says...
I took a long road trip over the weekend. At one point, I was
driving north on US-52 just turning onto I-74 near Mt Airy in
north-central North Carolina. As I made the turn, a very low
flying airplane passed over the freeway. It had one engine
stopped and the prop feathered. I think it was a large Cessna,
perhaps a Caravan, and I am pretty sure it was in Fed Ex markings.
The plane was pretty low, perhaps less than 500 feet over the
trees, and really moving fast.

I have no idea if there was an airport, or if the airplane was
in trouble. There were so many trees that it was impossible to
tell what was going on. Anyone know if there is an airport in
this area? Anyone know anything about this incident, or how I
could find out if this plane did make an emergency landing?

-john-

This is the only thing on the FAA website for NC over the weekend:

********
** Report created 8/24/2004 Record 28
**
********

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 367SA Make/Model: HUSK Description: A-1 HUSKY
Date: 08/20/2004 Time: 1650

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing:
Damage: Substantial

LOCATION
City: HICKORY State: NC Country: US

DESCRIPTION
ACFT SUSTAINED SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE. OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES ARE UNKNOWN.
HICKORY, NC

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:

WEATHER: UNKN

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: General Aviation

Departed: UNKN Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: UNKN Flt Plan: Wx
Briefing:
Last Radio Cont: UNKN
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: CHARLOTTE, NC (SO33) Entry date: 08/23/2004
Old August 25th 04, 02:11 AM
EBrown

John A. Weeks III wrote:

I took a long road trip over the weekend. At one point, I was
driving north on US-52 just turning onto I-74 near Mt Airy in
north-central North Carolina. As I made the turn, a very low
flying airplane passed over the freeway. It had one engine
stopped and the prop feathered. I think it was a large Cessna,
perhaps a Caravan, and I am pretty sure it was in Fed Ex markings.
The plane was pretty low, perhaps less than 500 feet over the
trees, and really moving fast.

I have no idea if there was an airport, or if the airplane was
in trouble. There were so many trees that it was impossible to
tell what was going on. Anyone know if there is an airport in
this area? Anyone know anything about this incident, or how I
could find out if this plane did make an emergency landing?

-john-

Mount Airy/Surry County airport is just north of where you were. (KMWK)
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMWK

Don't know if it was an emergency.
Old September 6th 04, 06:29 PM
CV

John A. Weeks III wrote:
flying airplane passed over the freeway. It had one engine
stopped and the prop feathered. I think it was a large Cessna,
perhaps a Caravan, and I am pretty sure it was in Fed Ex markings.

"_the_ one engine stopped" then ?

The Cessna Caravan is single-engine:
http://caravan.cessna.com/

CV

Old September 6th 04, 07:30 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article , CV
wrote:

John A. Weeks III wrote:
flying airplane passed over the freeway. It had one engine
stopped and the prop feathered. I think it was a large Cessna,
perhaps a Caravan, and I am pretty sure it was in Fed Ex markings.

"_the_ one engine stopped" then ?

The Cessna Caravan is single-engine:
http://caravan.cessna.com/

It did look a lot like a Caravan, but it was a twin. It
had same look as a Caravan like it is carrying a boat
under the fuselage.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old September 7th 04, 04:40 AM
Vern

It sounds like you're describing a DeHaviland Canada Twin Otter.

Check out the link for a picture..is that it?

http://www.etl.noaa.gov/technology/i..._otter_cropped.
jpg

Old September 7th 04, 06:19 AM
John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
Vern wrote:

It sounds like you're describing a DeHaviland Canada Twin Otter.

Check out the link for a picture..is that it?

http://www.etl.noaa.gov/technology/i..._otter_cropped.
jpg

Yes, very well could be. It had very small engine pods, much
like those in this photo. I only got a quick look at the plane.
It crossed the I-74 freeway going south to north, and it was
really moving. There was an upgrade to the south with thick
trees, and it looked like he just emerged from the trees out
of nowhere (but in reality, he was at least 500 feet over the
trees). Once I saw the one prop was stationary, I focused on
seeing if it was featered, which it was.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old September 7th 04, 06:28 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

CV wrote:

[...] It had one engine stopped and the prop feathered. I think
it was a large Cessna, perhaps a Caravan, and I am pretty sure it
was in Fed Ex markings.

"_the_ one engine stopped" then ?
The Cessna Caravan is single-engine: [...]

There exists an older Cessna model C406, a twin caravan.

- FChE