THE DAY THE 344TH STOPPED PATTON

Old September 7th 03, 04:07 AM
ArtKramr

Default THE DAY THE 344TH STOPPED PATTON

The Day the 344th Stopped Patton

Patton treasured the German autobahns. To him they were high speed highways
where he could charge forward at full tilt, covering miles of territory,
sweeping enemy forces in his path. But Patton never took A.A. Robinson into
account. A.A. Robinson, Lt. Robinson was one of the pilots in the 344th Bomb
Group. And a good pilot and a fine fellow he was. But he was on a crash course
with both destiny and a furious Patton. We were on a mission over Germany. We
were heading East and finally crossed the bomb line. Now we were over enemy
held territory and committed to the mission. Robinson was having engine
trouble. He slowly started losing altitude. No choice but to drop out of the
formation and try to make it back to base, or at least one of the many
emergency strips built for the heavies in trouble. Dropping out of formation in
enemy territory is dangerous business. He was alone, no fighter cover and he
was easy pickings for any German fighters looking for a target of opportunity.
He was still losing altitude. So he did what anyone of would have done in his
place. He dumped his bomb load to lighten the plane. The problem was that he
dumped it on an autobahn in the path oif Patton's advance into Germany. And he
just didn't bust up the road, he took out the bridges over deep chasms as well.
He stopped Patton's advance dead Patton now had to do a go around through deep
chasms slowing his advance quite seriously. Of course, for some strange reason
Patton had no intention of being a good sport about this innocent little mishap
on poor AA's part. There was all hell to pay. But the furor finally died down
and Robinson just kept flying missions. But he never salvoed again. AA,
wherever you are today, I hope you are reading this. We can have nothing but
admiration for the man that could do what the Germans could never do, bring
Patton to a halt.
------

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old September 7th 03, 04:13 AM
Tarver Engineering

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
The Day the 344th Stopped Patton

snip

He stopped Patton's advance dead Patton now had to do a go around through

deep
chasms slowing his advance quite seriously. Of course, for some strange

reason
Patton had no intention of being a good sport about this innocent little

mishap
on poor AA's part. There was all hell to pay. But the furor finally died

down
and Robinson just kept flying missions. But he never salvoed again. AA,
wherever you are today, I hope you are reading this. We can have nothing

but
admiration for the man that could do what the Germans could never do,

bring
Patton to a halt.

For 10 days, while the smoke rose over the death camps.

Old September 7th 03, 04:20 AM
Dave Kearton

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

For 10 days, while the smoke rose over the death camps.

Didn't you notice the sign ?

It says ....

"Is your reply really necessary ?"

Regards

Dave Kearton

Old September 7th 03, 04:26 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Dave Kearton" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

For 10 days, while the smoke rose over the death camps.

Didn't you notice the sign ?

It says ....

"Is your reply really necessary ?"

All I see is a man making a disaster out to be a tiny mistake.

Then again, Art also thinks hitting the correct city was a pickle barrel.

Old September 7th 03, 04:34 AM
Tarver Engineering

Subject: THE DAY THE 344TH STOPPED PATTON
From: "Tarver Engineering"
Date: 9/6/03 8:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time

From: "Tarver Engineering"

Date: 9/6/03 8:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

Two days actually and he was nowhere near the camps. Now tell us what

you did
in the great war sniveling coward

For ten days actually, you forgot that I know someone who was there.

Not good enouigh coward. What did YOU do in the war?

How many men on the ground do you suppose it cost to buy that bridge intact,
old man? A few dozen maybe? You dishonor their sacrifice, when you make
out that what was done was no big deal. There is no humor whatsoever, in
what the 344th did that day.

Old September 7th 03, 04:55 AM
ArtKramr

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Date: 9/6/03 8:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time

From: "Tarver Engineering"

Date: 9/6/03 8:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time

From: "Tarver Engineering"

Date: 9/6/03 8:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

Not good enough coward,What did you do in the war?