ASW 27 Flight Testing Video Clip

Old October 22nd 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW 27 Flight Testing Video Clip

For the last month I have been flight testing the rebuilt ASW 27. The program is going well and I am nearing completion of the required phase 1 testing. I still have max gross weight, final spin testing and a tow test for completion. So far I have only been able to self-launch since no towing is available this late in the season. The twin turbines are working well and provide a solid 600 fpm climb rate at these cooler fall temperatures. The steerable tailwheel is also working well and provided good directional control during takeoff and landing.

Here is a link to a compilation of short clips from the flight test program..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_rFhN_abrQ

Chris

Old October 22nd 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 5:48:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Very cool!
UH

Yes indeed! Thank you for the update, Chris!

Steve Leonard
Old October 23rd 19, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Very cool! Is that retract system electric or manual? Can you start the turbines in the air?
Old October 23rd 19, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

How do you manage turbine cool down requirements prior to retraction?

What is the fuel consumption rate for both take off power and cruise?

What is the service life of the turbines?

This is cool, I am asking because I find this very interesting.
Old October 23rd 19, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 6:53:05 PM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:
Very cool! Is that retract system electric or manual? Can you start the turbines in the air?

Retract system is electric using linear actuators.

One or both turbines can be started in the air for sustainer or another climb.
Old October 23rd 19, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 7:26:06 PM UTC-5, Mike N. wrote:
How do you manage turbine cool down requirements prior to retraction?

What is the fuel consumption rate for both take off power and cruise?

What is the service life of the turbines?

This is cool, I am asking because I find this very interesting.

Turbine cool down - All of the turbine engine data is monitored in the cockpit including the temperatures. After shutdown they stay extended until I see the temps drop to below 30C, then they are retracted. This will take about a minute.

The fuel consumption is really high. During takeoff I will burn a gallon every two minutes. An average 3k climb will burn just under 3 gallons. My cruise configuration will be using one turbine for sustainer at full power using 1 gallon every 4 minutes. One engine gives me a 300 fpm climb rate if needed or a fast cruise.

The service life is 25 hours. At that interval the manufacture will inspect and rebuild the engines to bring them back to new overhaul condition. The turbines are RC engines primarily intended for large RC aircraft. The engines are Jetcat P300 RX which have been replaced with the latest P300 Pro versions.
Old October 23rd 19, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]

Beautiful - fuel consumption and where is the fuel stored? Duration at full throttle?
Also, drag or loss in performance with turbo extended?

Awesome combination

Old October 23rd 19, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 10:14:03 AM UTC-5, Joel Flamenbaum wrote:
Beautiful - fuel consumption and where is the fuel stored? Duration at full throttle?
Also, drag or loss in performance with turbo extended?

Awesome combination

A 10 gallon fuel cell is built into the fuselage behind all of the control systems. I have a slightly aft CG during takeoff and as I burn fuel my CG moves forward. Duration with full fuel would be 20 minutes at full power. If I get a tow and only run one turbine I can double the endurance. The extended turbines have a pretty small drag signature. I am guessing it is similar to leaving the gear down. The air noise is more noticeable then the drag during the extended cooling cycle.

Chris
Old October 23rd 19, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Chris,

Interesting modifications, congratulations to your achievement! Are the gelcoat-discolorations on the tail caused by the heat of the exhaust, or is this a result of fuel contamination? I remember that in some turbine powered gliders, the engines are slightly angled against the fuselage centerline in order to keep the heat away from the tail. If I am not mistaken, this was the case with the LS4 jet retrofit offered by M&D (https://md-flugzeugbau.de/en/areas-o...rieb-mdtj-42/).

Christoph