Kawa rough landing?

Old September 11th 19, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Kawa rough landing?

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 7:15:06 AM UTC-4, Jim White wrote:
At 00:23 11 September 2019, 2G wrote:
? The only way to know with any certainty the energy content of a battery
i=
s to do a discharge test. This can be done very easily with an FES - you

Coulumb counter should do it. Count the coulumbs in and out.

Jim

A Coulomb counter counts electrons, not energy (Coulombs times voltage) - some energy is lost to internal resistance, thus the output voltage is lower.. Also some Coulombs are lost to internal self-discharge. The energy coming out is always less than the energy going in. That said, as long as the battery is behaving consistently these losses are predictable, albeit variable with time since charge, temperature, discharge rate, etc. And the prediction will be wrong once some deterioration happens inside the battery.
Old September 11th 19, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 5:19:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

And the device would have to be calibrated anyhow by doing a discharge test.. That said, it would be useful to have an accurate battery fuel gauge in the cockpit. I would not, however, recommend that the average glider pilot install any instrument that requires modifying high voltage/current circuitry. Doing a discharge test, on the other hand, only requires a stop watch.

Tom
Old September 12th 19, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Kawa has been a beta-tester for a novel engine installation in the GP14. It was always going to be fallible.

Reading his account, he was not complacently relying on the motor to start. He started it where he thought he had acceptable landing options, and after it failed to start he continued to fly with what he thought were acceptable landing options. He attempted to land in what he had judged to be an acceptable if difficult field, and unfortunately it turned out not to be. If as he says this was his first field landing accident after decades of cross country flying in hazardous terrain in the heat of competition he is not doing too badly.
Old September 13th 19, 03:39 AM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCf4nilMdCw

Beer commercial translation please ?
Old September 13th 19, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dear friends,

while the 3rd FAI 13.5m WGC still has only 2 days to go, I must say I totally sympathize with Sebastian Kawa's unfortunate outlanding. As part of the organizing activities, of course we provided an official TP file which includes a database of airports, airstrips and recommended outlanding fields. Compared to Rieti, where reliable outlanding fields are distributed over the whole contest area albeit here and there there are localized regions where one should avoid getting low, Pavullo and the Norther Appennines offer fewer fields, most of which are require an uphill approach. However, this is where we have hosted some Juniors' camps and national training weeks. In September 2018, a training competition "Pavullo Glide" has been completed satisfactorily.

On the given day, take-offs were delayed till after about 1.30 p.m. due to scheduled fighter-jets training activity over the airport of Pavullo. They then performed 3 low passes on the following day during the official Opening Ceremony.

As far as we know, there were no storms or heavy weather phenomena at the time of the outlanding. The assigned training task was conservative.

4 Italian members of the organization and a second Polish pilot all went to help with the retrieve. We, at the home base, were reassured that Sebastian was in good health although reporting some back pain. He then left the competition site without further contacts.

Sebastian performed a self-launch with no problems. It has been said by some of the people on the ground, and I don't know if the information is accurate, that the limit-switch failed to provide the necessary "full deployment" contact to allow engine starting. I don't know if the GP sailplane provides any bypass procedure.

The competition is going on. Italian Stefano Ghiorzo is leading with the Diana VS FES 13.5m, in second position there's German Uli Schwenk with the MiniLak and no auxiliary power system (pure glider). With two days to go, the results are still very open.

Here are 2 links to the TP database.

cheers,
Aldo Cernezzi
competition director of the 3rd FAI 13.5 WGC

https://www.soaringspot.com/en_gb/ii...2019/downloads

http://soaringweb.org/TP/Pavullo
Old September 16th 19, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

The airfield I learned to fly at had a significant slope on one approach, the trick was to touch down just before the slope, on the close to level ground.
On several occasions whilst training, I touched down on the slope, it was tricky to handle, but will stand me in good stead should the situation arise.
As with all potential emergencies, one should try and predict them, and have a plan to deal with such an ocourance.
Even fields that look fine from the air can have a significant slope that is difficult to pick from the air.
Old September 16th 19, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It sure gets tiring listening to all the second guessing and after the fact 20/20 hindsight. The fact is **** happens to all of us irreguardless of general experience level. The experience that really counts is the experience directly related to the type of accident. In this case it is experience at off airport landings.

I would venture to guess that the great majority of guys flying higher performance modern machines (including some of the top ranked pulots) have very little if any experience with setting them down on marginal fields. The skill levels in off field landings are not there anymore simply because it is a realitively rare occurance these days with the higher performance birds and the different flying/contest mentality that exists today.
Old September 17th 19, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 6:53:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
...The skill levels in off field landings are not there anymore simply
because it is a realitively rare occurance these days with the higher
performance birds and the different flying/contest mentality that exists
today.

That is incorrect for non-USA competition flying, where tasks and
scoring mean frequent outlandings. Check out the recent world Juniors
for example...
Old September 17th 19, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

As long as accidents are classified as "bad luck, **** happens" category, we will have more of them. Things you read here are just text book psychological models of people finding them self "out of luck".
Old September 17th 19, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Krasw I guess you miss the main point of the posts. The point is.... if you want to get good at any particular aviation skill you have to practice it alot. Talk all you want, it is no excuse for specific experience.

Case in point, all the stall spin accidents that continue to happen. We have discused, analysed, surmised, engineered, and dogmatized that topic to death. But it still is the number one killer. Why? I believe its because very very very few pilots have taken tbeir bird up at altitude and practiced practiced practiced. Not incipid entry alone but that, AND full rotation, practice and experience again and again till recognition and recovery becomes automatic.
Off field landings are bo different. Even with all that said and tons of practice **** does happen. Maybe not for the guy who never does more than float around at tge top of a thermal venturing only gliding distance from home field. But for the guy who is trying to stretch and do something, if he does enough, hes gonna get bit once in awhile. That includes Kawa, or Moffat, or any one.

Talking is great and necessary, but doing is a whole lit more essential.

Avro Tudor pics 2 [04/13] - Avro Tudor rough landing.jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 September 11th 17 03:38 PM
Martin PBM Mariner pics 2 [09/15] - Martin-PBM-Rough-Landing.jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 August 13th 17 03:04 PM
Kawa..... [email protected] Soaring 34 August 11th 14 07:43 PM
Kawa [email protected] Soaring 3 December 2nd 13 07:26 PM
PIREP: 2I3 (Rough River State Park, Falls of Rough, KY) Kyler Laird General Aviation 0 March 1st 04 01:11 AM