How to make a spinner

Old December 1st 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.misc
Bob Fry

Default How to make a spinner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwrk0...eature=related
Quite interesting video showing how a spinner is made on a lathe.
--
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
~ Confucius
Old December 1st 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

Bob Fry wrote in :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwrk0...eature=related

He makes it look easy,

but it take real skill and back & arm strength.
took me months to get it right and I had a good master
leadman to show me how..

Its really an art...
Old December 1st 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 06:47:26 -0800, Bob Fry
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwrk0...eature=related

Quite interesting video showing how a spinner is made on a lathe.

You understated the case, for my money. A thing of great beauty on
several levels formed (spun) from a soft aluminum disk in minutes,
with equipment which could be rustled up by any handy person with a
yen for it. I imagine the first metal push is the hardest, as the
disk seems to be just a friction hold between centers.
Not sure if that was a Mancunian, Yorkshire, or a Derby accent.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Old December 1st 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt, rec.aviation.misc

On Dec 1, 10:30 am, John Szalay
wrote:
Bob Fry wrote :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwrk0...eature=related

He makes it look easy,

but it take real skill and back & arm strength.
took me months to get it right and I had a good master
leadman to show me how..

Its really an art...

The metal in the video looked like stainless. How is
aluminum spun without it galling on the tool? Do they use a roller
instead of the bar?

Dan
Old December 1st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.misc
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

The metal in the video looked like stainless. How is
aluminum spun without it galling on the tool? Do they use a roller
instead of the bar?

A lot of spinners use wood for their tools, but this one did look like
metal tools.

It was aluminum, though. Did you notice that he used a can of spray one
time towards the end?

Lubricant such as silicone does help things slide a bit easier, but it is
not necessary.

Rollers are used by machines when they do the turning, since they don't have
the feel for the art, and exactly how much pressure to apply, like a human
has.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 1st 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt, rec.aviation.misc

You may find the message cited below to be of interest.

-R.S.Hoover
Old December 1st 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.misc
Maxwell

wrote in message
You may find the message cited below to be of interest.

If you have a Yahoo login.

Old December 1st 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.misc
Maxwell

wrote in message
On Dec 1, 10:30 am, John Szalay
wrote:
Bob Fry wrote :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwrk0...eature=related

He makes it look easy,

but it take real skill and back & arm strength.
took me months to get it right and I had a good master
leadman to show me how..

Its really an art...

The metal in the video looked like stainless. How is
aluminum spun without it galling on the tool? Do they use a roller
instead of the bar?

Dan

I think it was aluminum, and he was undoubtedly using lubricant.

Old December 1st 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.misc
Maxwell

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwrk0...eature=related
Quite interesting video showing how a spinner is made on a lathe.
--
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

I saw them making spinners for Beechcraft years ago, while touring Globe
Engineering, years ago in Wichita. I production they were using a bearing
roller with a smooth radius face. I think the face of the bearing was
polished carbide.

They were turing out about one a minute, and claimed to produce them for all
the aircraft companies in the Wichita area. I know their tooling rack had
for or five dozens of tapered steel cone. One was required for each
different type.

Old December 1st 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

wrote in

Its really an art...

The metal in the video looked like stainless. How is
aluminum spun without it galling on the tool? Do they use a roller
instead of the bar?

Dan

Depending on the metal being worked, for Aluminum IIRC: we used a type
of animal fat. later we used a Teflon spray to coat the metal .

Stainless and aluminum both work harded, so its best if you can do the
spin in one push or a series of pushes.
there were some spins that we had to place the metal in the oven at a
low heat for a short time to anneal it , to continue.

Copper was the worst. took several annealing cycles if you did'nt get
in one run..

The guy in the video was good.. that was impressive..

at the end of that video, It looked to me, that what he sprayed on
the part was a solvent so that he could clean the the lube off it..

one of the hardest things to learn is to not get in a hurry, if you
push to hard and fast, you end up bunching the metal and crashing.
that where the skill comes in, I know I crashed a lot at first..
its been years since I did any..

We always used metal tools, some with rollers, some with "Spoons"
but notice the size of the handles on the tools in the video.
They are stout, for a reason.. you need that strength on the tool and
on the spinners body..

AT-6 spinner for sale dougdrivr Aviation Marketplace 0 May 22nd 06 12:33 AM
striped spinner Pianome Home Built 1 July 4th 04 09:56 PM
Chrome spinner Otis Winslow Owning 18 May 2nd 04 03:12 AM
spinner fab Dick Home Built 5 April 23rd 04 02:26 AM
spinner fab Dick Home Built 2 April 14th 04 12:21 AM