Powder Coat on 4130

Old March 23rd 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Phil

Default Powder Coat on 4130

Hello
Was watching American Chopper this evening , I see things on that show
that make me cringe but I do enjoy the antics of that family, they always
refer to Pipe if they are building a frame out of Tubing etc. , this evening
they were working on a dragster bike for NAPA and when it came time to paint
the machine they said that powder coat couldn't be used because of the heat
involved would ruin the 4130 tubing , seems like a lot of engine mounts and
other A/C parts will have to be junked , would like to hear some thoughts on
this concept , as an A/C welder it is of interest to me.
Thanks
Phil Lohiser
EAA 12873

Old March 23rd 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:29:15 -0400, "Phil" wrote:

Hello
Was watching American Chopper this evening , I see things on that show
that make me cringe but I do enjoy the antics of that family, they always
refer to Pipe if they are building a frame out of Tubing etc. , this evening
they were working on a dragster bike for NAPA and when it came time to paint
the machine they said that powder coat couldn't be used because of the heat
involved would ruin the 4130 tubing , seems like a lot of engine mounts and
other A/C parts will have to be junked , would like to hear some thoughts on
this concept , as an A/C welder it is of interest to me.
Thanks
Phil Lohiser
EAA 12873

Powder coating won't hurt 4130, but is NOT RECOMMENDED for aircraft
use because it can hide developing cracks.At least that's what I've
been told.

Old March 23rd 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
oilsardine

clare at snyder.on.ca schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

tell that to Sonex Ltd

Old March 23rd 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
[...]

Bwhahaha!!

Powder coating is done at what, 275 degree F? I gotten my airframe
hotter than that by cussing at it when members wouldn't meet up
properly. 4130 will see it as a pleasantly warm temperature, suitable
for shorts and maybe a light sweater.

Some people don't recommend powder coating because it may hide
developing cracks. Others swear by it because it give better protection
to keep cracks from ever forming. Truth is, if the only thing you have
to identify developing cracks is a visual inspection, you're not going
to have much luck. Use white powder coat, and linseed oil inside the
tube. A hairline crack will seep the oil and make and ugly black mark.
Old March 23rd 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J.Kahn

Ernest Christley wrote:
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
[...]

But if the hairline crack doesn't break the paint film the oil will
still be contained. Besides the oil, weld a boss on a longeron tube end
and install a tire valve and pressurize to 100 or so psi pressure during
the annual. The pressure should be enough to make the paint film fail
and cause leakdown. Find the leak by listening or water/soap.

Llama helicopters charge the truss permanently with dry nitrogen and
have a pressure gauge that is in view behind the cabin and can be
checked on a DI.

John
Old March 23rd 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Don W

But if the hairline crack doesn't break the paint film the oil will
still be contained. Besides the oil, weld a boss on a longeron tube end
and install a tire valve and pressurize to 100 or so psi pressure during
the annual. The pressure should be enough to make the paint film fail
and cause leakdown. Find the leak by listening or water/soap.

Llama helicopters charge the truss permanently with dry nitrogen and
have a pressure gauge that is in view behind the cabin and can be
checked on a DI.

John

Now that is an interesting way of doing it. Just
check the pressure on preflight, and you'll know
there aren't any cracks if it's still holding
pressure. Plus, if charged with an inert gas such
as nitrogen, helium, or argon, you also know there
will not be any corrosion inside the tube.

Don W.

Old March 23rd 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Don W" wrote in message
. ..

Now that is an interesting way of doing it. Just check the pressure on
preflight, and you'll know there aren't any cracks if it's still holding
pressure.

Well . . . you will know that the gauge pointer hasn't moved. For fire
extinguisher classes, I had a demo extinguisher which was cut open so's you
could see the interior. The gauge still read in the green.

Rich S.

Old March 23rd 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:40:12 -0400, "J.Kahn"
wrote:

Ernest Christley wrote:
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
[...]

I find it very hard to believe that forces strong enough to crack 4130
wouldn't be strong enough to crack powder coating.
I suspect the real reason for not powdercoating the chopper frame has
a lot to do with filming schedules.
Old March 24th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

" jls" wrote

Whatever the reason for the FAA hostility for powder coating, I have
receive pma'd parts that were powdercoated, or "powercoated" as a
member of my EAA chapter calls it.

Cute g

Although I have never had, or seen, an aircraft "powercoated" part crack, I
have seen other powder coated steel parts crack, and the powdercoated crack
remained hidden.

I would not choose powdercoating for a finish for anything I built.

Besides that, I can spray paints, myself, and can not so easily powdercoat
anything.
--
Jim in NC