ClearNav Vario and XCSoar

Old December 31st 14, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default ClearNav Vario and XCSoar

I'm trading in my CAI-302 for a ClearNav XC vario. Looking at the setup
screen in XCSoar, there's no listed driver for the CNv vario. The XCSoar
Manual also says nothing about the CNv vario though it states that it
will work with any vario which outputs NMEA data. Both my Android phone
and my Dell Streak 5 connect via bluetooth and work great.

Has anybody tried this combination yet? My new vario should arrive some
time next week...
--
Dan Marotta

Old December 31st 14, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Leonard

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:52:27 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'm trading in my CAI-302 for a ClearNav XC vario.* Looking at the
setup screen in XCSoar, there's no listed driver for the CNv vario.*
The XCSoar Manual also says nothing about the CNv vario though it
states that it will work with any vario which outputs NMEA data.*
Both my Android phone and my Dell Streak 5 connect via bluetooth and
work great.

Has anybody tried this combination yet?* My new vario should arrive
some time next week...

--

Dan Marotta

I did the 302 for CNv swap a while back. Drop in replacement. Same XCSoar settings, same in flight functionality. (IOIO box and Streak running XCSoar)

Turnpoint database load, task declare, vario config and log download are different. The CNv uses a USB stick to do all that.

-Dave
Old December 31st 14, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 7:30:55 PM UTC-6, Dave Leonard wrote:
[...]

Does that apply to WinPilot (Pro) as well? Drop-in replacement? Connectivity to Avier?
Herb
Old December 31st 14, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks Dave,

I spent the day yesterday with my panel at the dining room table. I
have all the wires brought out the panel hole and labeled, waiting for
the connector. Just about finished with cleaning up 13 years of wiring
modifications. I'll spend some time on the couch getting acquainted
with the new unit...

Dan

Old December 31st 14, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 9:58:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Not completely (sorry).

!w (air data) and !g (bugs, ballast, Mc) are fully supported. Task entry/declaration and file d/l over serial connection are *not* supported! Attempts to put CNv in command mode will cause data transmission to stop.

best,
Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old December 31st 14, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 11:17:38 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

btw, if anyone wants to discuss this further, let's take it over he

http://clearnav.net/simplemachinesfo...hp?topic=181.0

best,
Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old December 31st 14, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Been trying to establish an account on the ClearNav forum. The page
says an email has been sent, but I'm not receiving it. Checking my spam
folder, too. My username has been registered so I can't go on without
that email...

Old December 31st 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Looks like I won't have much trouble making the switch. Using my Streak
via K6BT, I've only changed bugs, ballast, and MC setting. I do use the
download flights feature with the 302 but I don't see much problem with
USB download. I'll either put a connector through the panel for that or
just dangle the extension cable out the back for use after landing. Not
concerned with contest flying or landouts.

Old January 3rd 15, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cuflyer

Dan, I did the exact set up last year: 302 to CNv with XC Soar. The CNv will control XCSoar, but not vice versa. It will kill the comm like Evan stated.
Really has not been a problem, though. I'm happy.

Tim