EFAS

Old January 27th 04, 02:33 PM
Anthony Acri

Default EFAS

I am a pilot from Toronto, Canada. Will be flying all the down to Fort
Myers in Florida next week hopefully if this weather ever lets up. Coming
down in a Baron B55, no boots thought.

How do I use EFAS in the US. I know the frequency is 122.0.

What kind of remarks do I use on my initial call up?

Do I just say: EFAS, this is C-DXXX?
Do I give a position, say near a vor or city?

Any help is appreciated

Old January 27th 04, 02:44 PM
Barry

How do I use EFAS in the US. I know the frequency is 122.0.

What kind of remarks do I use on my initial call up?

You call them "Flight Watch" and include your position. See the full
description in the AIM:

http://www1.faa.gov/atpubs/aim/Chap7/aim0701.html#7-1-5

Old January 27th 04, 05:28 PM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:33:57 GMT, "Anthony Acri"
wrote:

I am a pilot from Toronto, Canada. Will be flying all the down to Fort
Myers in Florida next week hopefully if this weather ever lets up. Coming
down in a Baron B55, no boots thought.

How do I use EFAS in the US. I know the frequency is 122.0.

What kind of remarks do I use on my initial call up?

Do I just say: EFAS, this is C-DXXX?
Do I give a position, say near a vor or city?

EFAS is called Fligh****ch in the States, frequency is 122.0, and it
is available in most but not all locations. Sometimes, you have to
call FSS to get weather enroute. Also, they do close at night, I
think at 10pm local.

On initial callup, reference your position relative to a VOR. I
always include altitude as well but don't believe it is required. For
example:

Baron 123: Fligh****ch, Baron 123 is 30 West of the Joliet VOR at
6000 feet.

Fligh****ch: Baron 123, Chicago Fligh****ch, go ahead...

Make sure to break the squelch on your radio before calling
Fligh****ch, this helps to keep from stepping on other (distant)
aircraft conversing with Fligh****ch.

Also, be patient for Fligh****ch to respond to your initial callup.
Sometimes it takes them 15 seconds to respond. I think they must be
handling other aircraft or multitasking FSS responsibilites.

-Nathan
Old January 28th 04, 02:01 AM
John Godwin

"Anthony Acri" wrote in
news
I am a pilot from Toronto, Canada. Will be flying all the down to
Fort Myers in Florida next week hopefully if this weather ever
lets up. Coming down in a Baron B55, no boots thought.

How do I use EFAS in the US. I know the frequency is 122.0.

What kind of remarks do I use on my initial call up?

AOPA Air Safety Foundation has a form that you can download:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/skyspotter/pirepform.pdf

Callup Flight Watch with your Aircraft ID and say you have a Pirep

--
John Godwin
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT from email address)