Approach Timer Frustration

Old January 15th 04, 05:44 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Default Approach Timer Frustration

Over the years I have been using various digital timers, but so far I
have not been satisfied with any of them. The LCD displays make them
difficult to read when viewing at different angles. The right seat
pilot (or CFII) cannot see the digits. Lack of illumination in most
units is another big problem for night use. Size is another issue.
Most of the timers appear to be way too bulky for their function. For
example, the ASA timer is larger than any instrument in the cockpit.
If you install it on your yoke clip, it would cover up half of the
approach chart. For some reason, the manufacturers seem to be obsessed
with presenting large digit displays. That may be good for home or
outdoor use, but there is really no need for the digits to be 10
times larger than the font size on the approach charts.

For a long time I have been looking for a very small timer (1" x 1")
with an LED display (not LCD) that could be glued to the yoke clip.
With LED displays, battery life could be a problem, but one could
easily solve that by having an on/off switch (most timers seem to run
continuously regardless of use). Any ideas where I may find such a
device?
Old January 15th 04, 06:48 PM
EDR

In article , Andrew
Sarangan wrote:

For a long time I have been looking for a very small timer (1" x 1")
with an LED display (not LCD) that could be glued to the yoke clip.

Wait until you get older, then tell me you don't need big numbers.
Old January 15th 04, 07:13 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jim" wrote in message ...
It seems to me that West Bend Co. makes most of the timers I've seen. Maybe
they have something smaller.

Of course, they also make some of the most inaccurate timers as well. Some
here have noticed that they can run almost 100% off when the batteries start
to go.

Old January 15th 04, 07:42 PM
Jim Weir

I used a West Bend kitchen timer for the tank timer on Voyager. I bought Dick's
unit and my unit at the same time in 1984. Mine has never been turned off and
is still on the panel of the 182, ticking away.

Jim

"Jim"

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 15th 04, 08:09 PM
S Narayan

Got the Radio Shack count up/down timer which can be set easily. It is big
though (2" or so on a side). I connected an external AAA battery and put in
a red LED across the speaker. I can now see when the timer expires with the
flashing LED since I doubt I could hear the speaker go off.

Here's the link for the timer.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...gory%5Fname=CT
LG%5F010%5F002%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=63%2D878

--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old January 16th 04, 12:13 AM
Casey Wilson

"S Narayan" wrote in message
Got the Radio Shack count up/down timer which can be set easily. It is big
though (2" or so on a side). I connected an external AAA battery and put

in
a red LED across the speaker. I can now see when the timer expires with

the
flashing LED since I doubt I could hear the speaker go off.

Can you provide a schematic? Please.

Old January 16th 04, 12:20 AM
Hankal

For a long time I have been looking for a very small timer (1" x 1")
with an LED display (not LCD) that could be glued to the yoke clip.
With LED displays, battery life

I have a 3 function clock made by Westbend. It is fastened by velcro to the
left hand panel in front of the door. C172.
I time my XC legs and my approaches.
Hank N1441P
Old January 16th 04, 09:34 AM
Roger Halstead

On 15 Jan 2004 09:44:35 -0800, (Andrew
Sarangan) wrote:

Over the years I have been using various digital timers, but so far I
have not been satisfied with any of them. The LCD displays make them
difficult to read when viewing at different angles. The right seat
pilot (or CFII) cannot see the digits. Lack of illumination in most

Get two they are cheap!
Or use the clock that is required int he airplane and get a timer for
the copilot. I have a digital timer, but find the clock about as easy
to use.

units is another big problem for night use. Size is another issue.
Most of the timers appear to be way too bulky for their function. For

Just right, but don't forget to take off the magnet.

example, the ASA timer is larger than any instrument in the cockpit.
If you install it on your yoke clip, it would cover up half of the
approach chart. For some reason, the manufacturers seem to be obsessed
with presenting large digit displays. That may be good for home or

Wait 20 years and those won't be big enough.

outdoor use, but there is really no need for the digits to be 10
times larger than the font size on the approach charts.

Ohhhh yes there is.

For a long time I have been looking for a very small timer (1" x 1")
with an LED display (not LCD) that could be glued to the yoke clip.
With LED displays, battery life could be a problem, but one could
easily solve that by having an on/off switch (most timers seem to run
continuously regardless of use). Any ideas where I may find such a
device?

Check with the regular aviation outlets that advertize in the
magazines. I've seen several All had digits too small to read and
controls too small to use when bouncing around. Maybe were I 20, or
40 years younger I'd not think the same.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com