Need PIREP Ohio's Burke Lakefront (KBKL)

Old April 4th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Randy[_1_]

Default Need PIREP Ohio's Burke Lakefront (KBKL)

Folks:

I've got to take a trip to BKL on Sunday...does anyone know how the
routing normally works for an IFR arrival in a 172 from the south? Or
any other things to be on the lookout for?

thanks

Old April 4th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Nathan Young

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:34:44 -0700 (PDT), Randy
wrote:

Folks:

I've got to take a trip to BKL on Sunday...does anyone know how the
routing normally works for an IFR arrival in a 172 from the south? Or
any other things to be on the lookout for?

thanks

Yes. BKL is cool airport. I liken it to what Meigs used to be.

If you get to land towards the East (and assuming the weather is ok)
check out the Browns stadium as you land. Good time to have a camera
onhand.

I also seem to remember a tall mast of a ship parked near the approach
end of the runway. I tend to be a bit skittish about clearance
distances when landing over objects. (what I think is a few feet is
more like 50). Regardless, pay special attention to the VASIs or ILS
as you are nearing the airport.

Hornblowers restaurant is located just off the SW corner of the field.
A good place to eat if you are looking for a quick bite while
refueling. The FBO will give you a lift down there, but one could
certainly walk.

The city of Cleveland will track you down via N-number and send a
$5.00 landing fee via USPS. Bizarre. I have landed at BKL about 5-6
times and I think most (but maybe not all?) received the fee a week or
two later. The fee doesn't bother me, but I am confused why the FBO
does not collect the fee. Whatever.

I always have approached from the East or West, so cannot comment on
the routing from the South, although I suspect they will send you
around the Class B.

I have departed IFR a few times from BKL, and ATC vectored me at a
low-ish altitude pretty far North over Erie. If that makes you
uncomfortable, it would be a good idea to put a 'no overwater' remark,
or be prepared to refuse the clearance.

-Nathan

Old April 5th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

wrote:
I've got to take a trip to BKL on Sunday...does anyone know how the
routing normally works for an IFR arrival in a 172 from the south? Or
any other things to be on the lookout for?

Yes. BKL is cool airport. I liken it to what Meigs used to be.

If you get to land towards the East (and assuming the weather is ok)
check out the Browns stadium as you land. Good time to have a camera
onhand.

I've only been there once but it is a nice airport. I was on a charter and had
a lot of time to kill. I took a stroll in the direction of the stadium and
found a WWII-era submarine tied up to a wharf at the edge of the lake. And what
should be running down the hawser of that submarine but the biggest wharf rat I
have ever seen.... I'm guessing in the 10 lb range. It was big enough that I
think it would have intimidated the cat I owned at the time... and damned little
did that.

So, if you're there during the day it might be possible to get a tour of that
submarine. Maybe the rat is still there too.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old April 5th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Randy[_1_]

Thanks!!
..
Old April 6th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
David Kazdan

It's my home airport, and yes, it's very nice.

The ILS approach to 24R works fine. Decision height is a little high at
300', and the middle marker has been decommissioned. IFR routing from
the south is usually (in my own experience) a fairly wide downwind south
of the airport with a 270 intercept to the 245 approach course. If
runway 6 is active, you'll be given a circle-to-land.

Watch Cleveland Hopkin's Class B airspace if you're VFR. You'll need to
approach from slightly east of south to stay under the 3000' shelf. The
1900' shelf from the south is tricky because of radio towers poking up
into it. There may be some into the 3000' shelf, I don't
remember--check the sectional carefully.

The barge-borne restaurant near Burke, Hornblowers, has been closed for
about two years. Buy it and reopen it if you want to do a service to
the flying community.

The Cod is the Gato-class WWII submarine moored nearby the airport.
It's an incredible tour, not yet open for the season. Word is that it's
the best restored museum boat out there, and the only one that has not
had its pressure hull cut into for tourist staircases. Tour tickets are
cheap, make an additional donation. The volunteers put in a lot of
hours keeping that thing open.

There are occasionally tall ships in harbor, mostly later in summer.
The steamship Mather is the large museum ore ship moored just to the
west. It's worth a tour.

If you're interested in classical music, make a point of hearing the
orchestra at Severance Hall. Hard to say why Cleveland, Ohio has one of
the world's great symphony orchestras, but there it is. Severance is a
wonderful hall, too.

Have a good trip to Cleveland!

David