Ohio Emeraude down

Old October 22nd 03, 09:57 PM
Rich S.

Default Ohio Emeraude down

Gene Lehman went down in N29GL, a 1980 Emeraude NW of Dayton, Ohio
yesterday. The newspaper story is at http://www.daytondailynews.com/. The
NTSB preliminary report is not posted as yet.

I bought that plane in 1998 and trained in it against the day my Emeraude
would be ready to fly. A bit underpowered with its O-200 Continental, but a
delightful airplane to fly. It has been through 2 or 3 other owners since I
sold it and before Gene purchased it.

Rich S.

Old October 31st 03, 03:46 PM
Wingsnaprop

I heard from reputable informed sources that he made 2 errors both
potentially fatal, but when combined, very bad.
1 - Just got ahead of himself on the pre-flight, and took off with
empty tanks, fuel exhaustion at 400 feet at take-off
2 - tried a 180 to get back to the runway instead of landing on the
country road (a road thats been landed on before, by larger aircraft )
just ahead of him, and got too slow.
Old October 31st 03, 04:06 PM
Rich S.

"Wingsnaprop" wrote in message
om...
I heard from reputable informed sources that he made 2 errors both
potentially fatal, but when combined, very bad.
1 - Just got ahead of himself on the pre-flight, and took off with
empty tanks, fuel exhaustion at 400 feet at take-off
2 - tried a 180 to get back to the runway instead of landing on the
country road (a road thats been landed on before, by larger aircraft )
just ahead of him, and got too slow.

What I'm wondering is why, after nine days, this accident isn't listed on
the NTSB website http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp? They have already
posted other ones occurring as little as two days ago.

Rich S.

Old October 31st 03, 11:22 PM
Ken Sandyeggo

"Rich S." wrote in message ...
"Wingsnaprop" wrote in message
om...
I heard from reputable informed sources that he made 2 errors both
potentially fatal, but when combined, very bad.
1 - Just got ahead of himself on the pre-flight, and took off with
empty tanks, fuel exhaustion at 400 feet at take-off
2 - tried a 180 to get back to the runway instead of landing on the
country road (a road thats been landed on before, by larger aircraft )
just ahead of him, and got too slow.

What I'm wondering is why, after nine days, this accident isn't listed on
the NTSB website http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp? They have already
posted other ones occurring as little as two days ago.

Rich S.

I'd guess maybe the gobimint isn't aware of it. It's not even listed
on the FAA prelim reports which are very current.
Old October 31st 03, 11:29 PM
Ken Sandyeggo

"Rich S." wrote in message ...
"Wingsnaprop" wrote in message
om...
I heard from reputable informed sources that he made 2 errors both
potentially fatal, but when combined, very bad.
1 - Just got ahead of himself on the pre-flight, and took off with
empty tanks, fuel exhaustion at 400 feet at take-off
2 - tried a 180 to get back to the runway instead of landing on the
country road (a road thats been landed on before, by larger aircraft )
just ahead of him, and got too slow.

What I'm wondering is why, after nine days, this accident isn't listed on
the NTSB website http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp? They have already
posted other ones occurring as little as two days ago.

Rich S.

Whoops. I looked a little more and found it.

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 29GL Make/Model: EXP Description: CP301A EXP
Date: 10/21/2003 Time: 1330

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N
Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

LOCATION
City: BROOKVILLE State: OH Country: US

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT ATTEMPTING TO RETURN TO AIRPORT, CRASHED INTO A FIELD UNDER
UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, ONE PERSON ON BOARD WAS FATALLY INJURED,
BROOKVILLE,
OH

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:

WEATHER: UNK

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Unknown Operation: General
Aviation

Departed: BROOKVILLE, OH Dep Date: 10/21/2003 Dep.
Time: 1330
Destination: VAN WERT, OH Flt Plan: UNK Wx
Briefing: U
Last Radio Cont: UNK
Last Clearance: UNK

FAA FSDO: CINCINNATI, OH (GL05) Entry date:
10/22/2003
Old November 1st 03, 01:42 AM
Dave Hyde

"Rich S." wrote:

What I'm wondering is why, after nine days, this accident isn't listed on
the NTSB website http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp? They have already
posted other ones occurring as little as two days ago.

It's all a matter of when stuff gets filed. NTSB prelims for the
past 10 days or so are way behind what the FAA has reported.
Always have been.

Dave 'tick tock' Hyde

Old November 2nd 03, 11:32 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:42:36 +0000, Dave Hyde wrote:

It's all a matter of when stuff gets filed. NTSB prelims for the
past 10 days or so are way behind what the FAA has reported.
Always have been.

Just take what they say with a grain of salt. It seems the prelims are
not very accurate. In the MBY case they made it sound like the guy got his
gear stuck in the mud which then made him run off the runway.

If they even bothered to look they could tell the guy lost control of the
plane on landing right after he locked up the brakes to avoid hitting the
equipment on the side of the runway, I mean how do you get 3 skid marks
unless you're sliding sideways? He was screwed well before he got into
the mud, if anything the mud saved the idiots life.

Ever since I saw how they reported it and having seen it firsthand I now
realize that whatever the prelim says, don't bank on it. I'm not sure
where they get the info they report because it ain't based in reality.

I'll never trust them again after this report.

Old November 2nd 03, 11:43 PM
Dave Hyde

"Matthew P. Cummings" wrote:

I'll never trust them again after this report.

What did the final say?

Dave 'what part of preliminary is unclear?' Hyde

Old November 3rd 03, 01:13 PM
Bob Knot

in article , Dave Hyde at wrote
on 11/2/03 6:43 PM:

What did the final say?

Dave 'what part of preliminary is unclear?' Hyde

Well, not the final, but here is the prelim:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...31X01836&key=1

NTSB Identification: NYC04LA013
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, October 21, 2003 in Brookville, OH
Aircraft: Little CP301A, registration: N29GL
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors.
Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been
completed.
On October 21, 2003, at 0930 eastern daylight time, an amateur built
Emeraude CP301A, N29GL, was substantially damaged after impacting terrain,
following a total loss of power during climbout from the Brookville Airport
(I62), Brookville, Ohio. The certificated private pilot was fatally injured.
Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for
the local personal flight conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.
According to a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, witnesses
observed the airplane depart from runway 27. As the airplane climbed, the
engine suddenly quit, and the airplane made a left hand turn. During the
turn, the airplane descended rapidly out of the witnesses view.
The airplane came to rest in a field upright, about 1/4-mile from the
airport.
The FAA inspector examined the wreckage after the accident. He observed
substantial damage to both wings, and the forward fuselage. The inspector
did not observe any anomalies with the flight or engine controls. The fuel
gauge needle in the cockpit was observed stuck between the 1/4-1/2 position.
The fuel tank was ruptured, and no fuel stains were observed on the fuselage
skin. About one teaspoon of fuel was observed in the carburetor bowl, and no
fuel was observed in either the fuel tank or fuel lines.
The inspector also stated that there was an absence of fuel odor at the
accident site, and no discoloration of foliage was observed.
The last fueling record obtained from the fixed based operator at I62 for
the accident airplane was dated on July 30, 2003, when the airplane was
fueled with 15 gallons of 100LL aviation gasoline.

Old November 3rd 03, 02:31 PM
Bob Knot

What did the final say?

Dave 'what part of preliminary is unclear?' Hyde

Ooops! Color me stupid. I didn't read Dave's post close enough.

Cheers!
Bob