Thermal right, land left

Old March 17th 04, 12:26 AM
Sevenbravo

I think the best alarm would be the alarming fact that you are not
climbing well on tow (if at all) and that when you look out at the
spoiler, you SEE that they are up! Of course a preflight checklist
would prevent having to rely on any alarm.
Old March 17th 04, 05:43 AM
Bruce Greeff

Sevenbravo wrote:
I think the best alarm would be the alarming fact that you are not
climbing well on tow (if at all) and that when you look out at the
spoiler, you SEE that they are up! Of course a preflight checklist
would prevent having to rely on any alarm.

There is no substitute for situational awareness. No amount of toys is going to
influence the actions of the oblivious.
Old March 17th 04, 07:11 AM
Marcel Duenner

(Going fer it) wrote in message . com...
So, If I wanted to fly world class for 2 weeks a year
I would have to buy a PW5 rather than say an ASW20
and accept that I would loose out on a large amount
of fun for the other 50 weeks of the year.

Guess you havent heard of hiring huh :-)

Have you ever hired a glider for World or Continental Campionships?
It's probably cheaper to buy a glider and sell it again afterwards.
Only difficulty here is the long wait for a new glider...

Now for real fun we ought to take all national champions
from all countries and all classes. Put them in PW5's
and let them fight it out for a single, true World
Champion. That would be a comp to watch!

Its sorta been done.
The first World Class Worlds in Turkey.....
Included a number of National champs as well as world champs!

43 pilots from 23 nations - among them two women - competed in the
contest.
Among the competitors were very experienced pilots - e.g. three former
World Champions -but also pilots with lesser experience. Astonishingly
the former World Champions ended on the places 8, 13 and 14.

Some former World Champions finished far worse at the wgc last year in
Poland. In proper elitist gliders...
If you had ever competed at World or European Campionships you would
know that most people finishing in the top 10 are also capable of
winning.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/steve_smyk/ go to 1st World
Championship for results

So now perhaps you might understand while the "eletist" element dont
like PW5s.
They got their ASS KICKED by real pilots who were not relying on the
gliders performance to do the work :-)

Have seen the same reaction amongst other so called "Gun" pilots who
get wacked at PW5 level. ie its a crap aircraft etc etc.

I can't quite follow your argument.
You only mention the world champions. But look at the others, too:
1st and 2nd place by a strong french team, both have competed at world
championships before or are strong competitors at French national
level.
also places 5 and 7 are frequent wgc competitors.
At the 2nd WC-wgc winner and runner-up swapped places. 3rd was
Sebastian Kawa, himself not a no-name either.
At the 3rd WC-wgc Darroze won (he came 2nd at the 2003 wgc Standard
Class), Kawa 2nd.
Old March 17th 04, 07:31 AM
Jack

On 3/16/04 6:06 AM, in article ,
"David Hodgson" wrote:

...we ought to take all national champions ...and... [p]ut them in
PW5's and let them fight it out for a single, true World Champion.

That things like that have not been done is one reason that the WC concept
has not been successful: a more important factor, I believe, than the choice
of a particular design.

Jack

Old March 17th 04, 09:17 AM
Ben Flewett

At 20:24 16 March 2004, Going Fer It wrote:
So, If I wanted to fly world class for 2 weeks a year
I would have to buy a PW5 rather than say an ASW20
and accept that I would loose out on a large amount
of fun for the other 50 weeks of the year.

Guess you havent heard of hiring huh :-)

Here is an interesting fact - hiring a PW5 in either
NZ or Nitra would have cost you more than renting a
Ventus 2 for a proper World Gliding Champs.

Old March 17th 04, 09:59 AM
Owain Walters

As a former 1-26 owner, why am I not surprised?

Soaring is going to die a well deserved death, killed
from within, not
from outside influence.

Lennie,

I see you still havent got a life yet. When are you
going to go gliding again? Come on over, I will take
you gliding, it may get rid of all that negativity
you display towards our sport/hobby. If you are not
interested in gliding then please sod off and leave
us alone.

I do not post on Lathe websites, as I am not interested
in them. Neither do I post on bird-watching websites,
again as I am not interested. Do you see what I am
getting at?

Owain

Old March 17th 04, 11:33 AM
Christopher J. Wilson

Perhaps if the PW5 didnt look like it does there wouldn't
be as much debate about the world class? I think the
overall idea of the single design class etc. was well
founded with great intentions, but after seeing the
selection of platforms which were put forward to become
the single design; i'd have probably asked them all
to 're-tender'. If a design which looks similar to
a current std class glider were put forward at the
cost and specification of the pw5 (with perhaps at
slightly better performance), i beleive it would have
been a more rousing success.

Back in reference to the thread, Jon's original post
says it all...

A glider with 1940's performance made for a single
design competition at a y2k price that looks like the
pw5 is destined to failure in gliding and will never
represent 'value for money'. I beleive it would have
been far easier to try change the design of the PW5
or similar than try and socially engineer the gliding
populis's ways and personalities.

Chris ;-)

Old March 17th 04, 12:21 PM
Pete Zeugma

lots of links in your chain then.

At 14:12 16 March 2004, Jim Vincent wrote:
The problem comes when the warning
device fails because the battery is flat or the electricity
can't bridge the air gap.

I test the circuit before each flight.

My spoiler warning curcuit rigged between the landing
gear and spoilers on my
Jantar. The switch for the landing gear only opens
if the landing gear is down
and the button on the handle is fully up, indicating
a positive lock on the
landing gears. The switch on the spoilers only opens
when the spoilers are in
the fully locked position.

To test, I depress the button on the landing gear handle
and pop the spoilers a
little. This activates the gear warning by closing
both switches.

Just in case one of the switches fails during flight,
causing the alarm to go
off, I can deactive the system to avoid a beep-beep-beep
on a long flight. I
have a toggle switch mounted high on the panel to power
the circuit. Right
next to the switch is a large red LED. If I chose
to deactive the gear warning
system, the red LED goes on.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old March 17th 04, 01:43 PM
Andy Durbin

"K.P. Termaat" wrote in message ...
Probably my explanation was not good enough. The airbrake microswitch and
the switch of the pressure transducer are in series. However with no
pressure (glider on the ground) the switch of the pressure transducer is
closed and opens reluctantly when pressure comes on (glider rolling for take
off). So this system gives a warning for airbrakes unlocked (or open) prior
to take off; it does not give an alert when flying with normal speed and
airbrakes open.
See my figure 5 of http://home.wxs.nl/~kpt9/gear.htm

Karel, NL

That seems to be exactly the opposite of what would be required by
most pilots.
There is no hazard associated with having the airbrakes unlocked when
the glider is not in motion. The hazard starts when the airspeed gets
high enough for the airbrakes to suck open if not locked.

Cambridge 302 alarms at about 25kts (not sure of exact figure) if
airbakes not locked. I hear it on about half my launches with ballast
as I use airbrakes for better roll control.

Andy
Old March 17th 04, 04:39 PM
Tony Verhulst

I do not post on Lathe websites, as I am not interested
in them. Neither do I post on bird-watching websites,
again as I am not interested. Do you see what I am
getting at?

He reads this NG because he IS interested. Probably much more than he'll
admit to himself - let alone others.

Tomny V.