Thermal right, land left

Old March 17th 04, 06:09 PM
Lennie the Lurker

Owain Walters wrote in message ...

I see you still havent got a life yet.

180 from the truth, since I stopped dumping every available dollar for
nothing in return, I am far better off, and having a ball. Unlike
many here, and I suspect you are one, my life doesn't begin and end at
the gliderport.

When are you
going to go gliding again?

Quick answer, I have no intention of wasting time even driving past an
airport of any kind, now or in the future.

But, look at yourself and your postings from the point of a newbie
thinking about trying the hobby. He/She might be able to just afford
a PW, and decides to look on the net to find out opinions. All he/she
is going to read is badmouth and snobbery towards the plane and the
class. He/She decides some other hobby is better.

You are not promoting anything by talking it down, you are merely
driving another nail into soarings coffin. Carry on. Attitude is
everything, attitude towards the 1-26 and the people that fly them is
why I decided that any other hobby would be far more rewarding. (And
probably in much better company.)
Old March 17th 04, 06:16 PM
Jim Vincent

180 from the truth, since I stopped dumping every available dollar for
nothing in return, I am far better off, and having a ball. Unlike
many here, and I suspect you are one, my life doesn't begin and end at
the gliderport.

Now it goes to the local brothel???

Attitude is
everything, attitude towards the 1-26 and the people that fly them is
why I decided that any other hobby would be far more rewarding.

Are you that thin skinned and reliant on the opinions of others that you cannot
stay in soaring because someone dissed you??? Pretty fricking sad.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old March 17th 04, 06:48 PM
Going fer it

Yep - all your points are valid Gentlemen.
This thread and its like are really quiet entertaining for getting
rabid (or should that be rapid) reaction :-)

Now the rain has stopped I think I might go flying.
Now the big question.

uuum LS4 or PW5 :-)

Ben Flewett wrote in message ...
At 20:24 16 March 2004, Going Fer It wrote:
So, If I wanted to fly world class for 2 weeks a year
I would have to buy a PW5 rather than say an ASW20
and accept that I would loose out on a large amount
of fun for the other 50 weeks of the year.

Guess you havent heard of hiring huh :-)

Here is an interesting fact - hiring a PW5 in either
NZ or Nitra would have cost you more than renting a
Ventus 2 for a proper World Gliding Champs.

Old March 17th 04, 07:12 PM
Eric Greenwell

Christopher J. Wilson wrote:

A glider with 1940's performance made for a single
design competition at a y2k price that looks like the
pw5 is destined to failure in gliding and will never
represent 'value for money'.

Let's at least keep it real: Pilots would've killed for a PW5 in the
40's. Even the widely acclaimed (and rightly so) Standard Class champion
in the early '60s (Ka-6e) doesn't have the performance of the PW5, and
it was more costly.

I suspect for many people, "failure" means "I can't buy the new glider I
desire for half price". The people buying and flying them have a
different measure of success.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old March 17th 04, 07:35 PM
Andy Durbin

"K.P. Termaat" wrote in message ...
Probably my explanation was not good enough. The airbrake microswitch and
the switch of the pressure transducer are in series. However with no
pressure (glider on the ground) the switch of the pressure transducer is
closed and opens reluctantly when pressure comes on (glider rolling for take
off). So this system gives a warning for airbrakes unlocked (or open) prior
to take off; it does not give an alert when flying with normal speed and
airbrakes open.
See my figure 5 of http://home.wxs.nl/~kpt9/gear.htm

Karel, NL

That seems to be exactly the opposite of what would be required by
most pilots.
There is no hazard associated with having the airbrakes unlocked when
the glider is not in motion. The hazard starts when the airspeed gets
high enough for the airbrakes to suck open if not locked.

Cambridge 302 alarms at about 25kts (not sure of exact figure) if
airbakes not locked. I hear it on about half my launches with ballast
as I use airbrakes for better roll control.

Andy
Old March 17th 04, 11:44 PM
Liam Finley

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...
40's. Even the widely acclaimed (and rightly so) Standard Class champion
in the early '60s (Ka-6e) doesn't have the performance of the PW5, and
it was more costly.

You might want to inform the BGA of this, as they gave the two gliders
the same handicap.

And we've seen what happens when the PW-5 and Ka6e actually compete
against each other:
http://glidingmatamata.co.nz/competi...sports-pw5.htm
Old March 18th 04, 12:38 AM
Eric Greenwell

Liam Finley wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...

40's. Even the widely acclaimed (and rightly so) Standard Class champion
in the early '60s (Ka-6e) doesn't have the performance of the PW5, and
it was more costly.

You might want to inform the BGA of this, as they gave the two gliders
the same handicap.

I used the US handicaps.

And we've seen what happens when the PW-5 and Ka6e actually compete
against each other:
http://glidingmatamata.co.nz/competi...sports-pw5.htm

No, we haven't. You've seen what happens when PILOTS compete against
each other in a soaring contest. If it depended on the performance
alone, we could just send the trophies to the guys with the best
handicap after the entry deadline, and skip the flying.
--
-----

Old March 18th 04, 04:36 AM
Lennie the Lurker

Tony Verhulst wrote in message ...

He reads this NG because he IS interested.

Interested in that some of the people I once knew post here
occasionally. The only word I get from all but one if you discount
the advertising every year. What I hear from the other one, "COme,
let us fly", Sorry. Front seat ballast in a 2-33 for the rest of my
life is not what I had in mind.

Interested in that I may be asked to go back to work for a while, due
to factors beyond the control of the shop owner, and thinking I might,
but only if I do none of the aircraft work that comes in from time to
time. As sue crazy as the aviation world is, I don't want to touch
anything connected with it. If the owner goes along with it, ok. If
he doesn't, he's a one man shop.
Old March 19th 04, 08:30 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Jon Meyer wrote:

Are you therefore saying that the world class must
have less than 15m span just so that it cannot be construed
as being equivalent to one of the existing classes?

No, I'm saying it must be smaller to be cheaper. Bigger costs money.

I think that such a suggestion is completely contrary
to the aims of the world class, which are in my opinion,
very good.

Here was an important goal: "substantially lower costs than then-current
new gliders". It's the first one on the list in the history section of
the World Class Soaring Association (www.wcsa.org/history.htm).

At that time the LAK-12 was still in production and met the goal:
substantially lower costs than then-current new gliders". Although
size is certainly a factor of the price, it is not the main one.