Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological

Old December 16th 03, 05:08 PM
Alan Minyard

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 03:06:38 GMT, "Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
. ..

snip of idiot gibbering

Of course...and for Christ's sake don't add "...and it was a very
bad thing"...

It was a very bad thing. Pandora's box can never be closed again.

Well John, it's quite likely that someone said exactly that when
the very first charge of gunpowder was ignited. And likely again
when the first arrow left it's bowstring...the first club
connected with someone's skull...etc...

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
and it must be working 'cause I'm
the oldest now that I've ever been"

Heck, the Pope tried to ban crossbows because they
would "destroy civilization".

Al Minyard
Old December 16th 03, 06:12 PM
Stephen Harding

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message

snip of idiot gibbering

Of course...and for Christ's sake don't add "...and it was a very
bad thing"...

It was a very bad thing. Pandora's box can never be closed again.

Well John, it's quite likely that someone said exactly that when
the very first charge of gunpowder was ignited. And likely again
when the first arrow left it's bowstring...the first club
connected with someone's skull...etc...

Heck, the Pope tried to ban crossbows because they
would "destroy civilization".

Never knew the cross bow was considered to be such a terrible
weapon.

I know the long bow was for a time though.

The armored cavalry types didn't like the idea of being knocked
off their horses on to their tin cans from 80 yards out by mere
peasant folk.

What was the world coming to?

SMH

Old December 17th 03, 03:07 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
.. .

snip of idiot gibbering

Of course...and for Christ's sake don't add "...and it was a very
bad thing"...

It was a very bad thing. Pandora's box can never be closed again.

Well John, it's quite likely that someone said exactly that when
the very first charge of gunpowder was ignited. And likely again
when the first arrow left it's bowstring...the first club
connected with someone's skull...etc...

So true, but life has taught me to be a gracious winner. I believe America
can set about the same policy in foreign relations. I do not say that we
"apologise" to the Japanese, as "bad things" can happen to those who come to
our house and blow up our stuff. My friend George's father still hates the
Japanese and another friend, an Arizona survivor, went to his grave the same
way. Hate is also a bad thing.

Old December 17th 03, 03:51 AM
B2431

From: "Tarver Engineering"

So true, but life has taught me to be a gracious winner.

No comment.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Old December 17th 03, 05:02 PM

Mary Shafer wrote:

I turned that up using "crossbow Pope" in Google, to confirm my
memory.

Mary

A tiny bit of useful trivia...you get exactly the same effect in
Google when you omit the second quotation mark as you do when you
use it. (all those quarter seconds add up!)

Old December 17th 03, 10:47 PM
Stephen Harding

Mary Shafer wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:12:34 -0500, Stephen Harding
wrote:

Never knew the cross bow was considered to be such a terrible
weapon.

The cross bow was such a terrible weapon that a Pope forbade its use
against fellow Christians. Using it on pagans and unbelievers was OK,
though. Needless to say, this ban didn't last.

"William the Conqueror brought skilled crossbow men with him when he
invaded England in A.D. 1066.

"The crossbow was powerful in battle because its bolts (a shorter
version of arrows) could penetrate the chain mail of opponents.
Leaders of the Catholic Church, outraged by the lethal weapon, deemed
the crossbow "unfit to be used among Christians" and tried to ban it
from warfare in 1139—without success. Richard I ("the Lionheart") died
of a crossbow wound on the battlefield in 1199." from
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._crossbow.html

I turned that up using "crossbow Pope" in Google, to confirm my
memory.

I do recall the devastating effects the English longbow had on the
battlefield, and it's superiority over the crossbow. It had greater
range, higher rate of fire, and more hitting/penetrating power.

But it took a lot of practice and strength to operate competently,
whereas the crossbow did not. It did not really come into its own
until after all the hubbub over the crossbow, I guess.

Thanks for the "archery lesson" Mary!

SMH

Old December 18th 03, 08:32 AM
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:47:38 -0500, Stephen Harding
wrote:

The cross bow was such a terrible weapon that a Pope forbade its use
against fellow Christians. Using it on pagans and unbelievers was OK,
though. Needless to say, this ban didn't last.

Actually, the provisions of the second Lateran council in 1139 seem to
be directed at all archers, not crossbowmen in isolation:

"29. We prohibit under anathema that murderous art of crossbowmen and
archers, which is hateful to God, to be employed against Christians
and Catholics from now on."

IIRC, crossbowmen were beginning to become largely drawn from a
developing professional mercenary class at this point.

I do recall the devastating effects the English longbow had on the
battlefield, and it's superiority over the crossbow. It had greater
range, higher rate of fire, and more hitting/penetrating power.

The longbow as it appeared in the 100 Years War wasn't a feature of
12th century warfare. The actual measure concerned took part against
a background of the relevant pope attempting to restore papal
authority after a schism and continue the general policy of attempting
to limit warfare within Christendom and constrain it under papal
religious theory.

Gavin Bailey

Old December 18th 03, 06:35 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote:

The cross bow was such a terrible weapon that a Pope forbade its use
against fellow Christians. Using it on pagans and unbelievers was OK,
though. Needless to say, this ban didn't last.

Actually, the provisions of the second Lateran council in 1139 seem to
be directed at all archers, not crossbowmen in isolation:

"29. We prohibit under anathema that murderous art of crossbowmen and
archers, which is hateful to God, to be employed against Christians
and Catholics from now on."

My goodness, the Pope dissing my family's coat of arms.

IIRC, crossbowmen were beginning to become largely drawn from a
developing professional mercenary class at this point.

And very profitable.

I do recall the devastating effects the English longbow had on the
battlefield, and it's superiority over the crossbow. It had greater
range, higher rate of fire, and more hitting/penetrating power.

The longbow as it appeared in the 100 Years War wasn't a feature of
12th century warfare. The actual measure concerned took part against
a background of the relevant pope attempting to restore papal
authority after a schism and continue the general policy of attempting
to limit warfare within Christendom and constrain it under papal
religious theory.

Let us all stand in a line and kill one another, until a political solution
can be reached.

Old December 20th 03, 02:47 AM
B2431

From: RogerM

Are we beheading prisoners? Starving them?

You're mistreating those in Cuba.

Prove it.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired