Losing my Clearcoat

Old March 1st 04, 05:29 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default Losing my Clearcoat

For some reason the Clearcoat on my Mooney is starting to bubble off
and peal away. I otherwise have a good paint job that I believe was
done around '95. Sadly, a hanger is not possible around here.
Is it worth it to strip the Clearcoat off and have it reapplied (can
that even be done)? Am I looking at a new paint job? Can I put
something over the Clearcoat to prevent this?

I've waxed my plane every 6 months since I've had it so I'm a bit
frustrated now.
Old March 1st 04, 06:02 PM

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
For some reason the Clearcoat on my Mooney is starting to bubble off
and peal away. I otherwise have a good paint job that I believe was
done around '95. Sadly, a hanger is not possible around here.
Is it worth it to strip the Clearcoat off and have it reapplied (can
that even be done)? Am I looking at a new paint job? Can I put
something over the Clearcoat to prevent this?

I've waxed my plane every 6 months since I've had it so I'm a bit
frustrated now.

I had a similar situation with an automobile several years ago. There were
two alternatives:

1) Live with it.
2) Totally strip and repaint the damaged areas. Yes, this includes
stripping and re-applying the color coat too.

It was explained to me that the problem was likely due to either
contamination between the paint layers or (more probably) a failure to apply
the clear coat during the correct "window" of time after the color coat was
applied.

Given the age of the auto, I went with option 1.

KB

Old March 1st 04, 06:48 PM
Jay Masino

In rec.aviation.owning Robert M. Gary wrote:
For some reason the Clearcoat on my Mooney is starting to bubble off
and peal away. I otherwise have a good paint job that I believe was
done around '95. Sadly, a hanger is not possible around here.
Is it worth it to strip the Clearcoat off and have it reapplied (can
that even be done)? Am I looking at a new paint job? Can I put
something over the Clearcoat to prevent this?

My plane was painted in '95 and it's clearcoat has been flaking off for
some time. I figure I'd live with it for several more years, and then
get her painted again. I'm not sure there's anything you can do about
it now, other than repainting (including the color coats).

--- Jay

--

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old March 1st 04, 08:38 PM
Anyone

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
For some reason the Clearcoat on my Mooney is starting to bubble off
and peal away. I otherwise have a good paint job that I believe was
done around '95. Sadly, a hanger is not possible around here.

Is it worth it to strip the Clearcoat off and have it reapplied (can that

even be done)?
It can be done. Is it worth it? That's for you to decide.

Am I looking at a new paint job?

In the affected areas, yes.

Can I put something over the Clearcoat to prevent this?
I've waxed my plane every 6 months since I've had it so I'm a bit

frustrated now.

No, the problem is likely from within. A reaction between the clearcoat and
the paint result in gasses being released and causing bubbling.

There's a possibility it may not be from within. Have you ever seen auto
rims where the aluminum is corroding under the clear coat? That's usually
the result of cats and/or dogs urinating on the rims. Through a process too
long to describe here, the clearcoat separates from the rim and, in the
presence of atmospheric gasses and ammonia, occluded by the clearcoat,
causes rapid corrosion. I'm not saying cats and/or dogs are urinating on
your plane. What I am saying is that there may be compounds coming in
contact with the surface which may act in a similar fashion. Maybe the
detergent or wax.

I would suggest washing it with a mild liquid detergent and not waxing it.
The clearcoat is intended to protect the paint. It's considered sacrificial
by many professional painters. A friend owns a Bonanza and every few years
has a body shop use a mild abrasive to clean and smooth the clearcoat then
apply another coat. It's not too expensive and looks great all the time.

Old March 2nd 04, 12:29 AM
Rich

That must really wake the neighbors!

Old March 2nd 04, 05:57 PM
Andrew Boyd

Robert M. Gary wrote:

clearcoat ... is starting to bubble off and peel away

I hate clearcoat. Owners love the shine at first, then
it starts to peel and looks like dog****. I wish people
wouldn't put that stuff on.

--
ATP http://www.pittspecials.com/images/oz_down.jpg