Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

Old March 8th 18, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Default Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 5:05:28 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi all,

I'm doing some research for our club. I'm trying to investigate what options are available for 'inexpensive' portable IGC accepted data recorders. Our club would use them for SSA badges and OLC competitions.

We would like them to be portable so we can use them in different club ships, rather than being panel mounted.

As to what 'inexpensive' means - less than $1000 U.S., preferably less than $800.

I did look on the FAI page, ( https://www.fai.org/sites/default/fi...018-2-14_0.pdf ) and there's a lot to go through.

I'm aware of the Nano, Nano III, Colbri II and Colbri X. Any others that I'm missing? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Mark

SeeYou Recorder is a free iPhone app that works with OLC. I'm not sure if it can be used for badge flights. The only down side is that it doesn't have an engine monitor, so it can't be used with motorgliders.
Old March 8th 18, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:02:45 PM UTC-5, Mike Schumann wrote:
SeeYou Recorder is a free iPhone app that works with OLC.
I'm not sure if it can be used for badge flights.
The only down side is that it doesn't have an engine monitor,
so it can't be used with motorgliders.

Motor-glider owners are by definition less concerned with super low cost ;-(
Old March 8th 18, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

SeeYou Recorder is a free iPhone app that works with OLC. I'm not sure if it can be used for badge flights. The only down side is that it doesn't have an engine monitor, so it can't be used with motorgliders.

List of approved flight recorders; at the bottom, links to all their webpages.
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/igc_approved_frs.pdf

Old March 8th 18, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

It is worth mentioning in this thread the IMI Erixx - cheaper logger with top level IGC approval but it needs external power.

Consider paying more for a multi purpose device - Powerflarm or Oudie IGC.
Old March 8th 18, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

At 11:53 08 March 2018, Dan Daly wrote:
SeeYou Recorder is a free iPhone app that works with OLC. I'm not

sure
if it can be used for badge flights. The only down side is that it

doesn't
have an engine monitor, so it can't be used with motorgliders.

List of approved flight recorders; at the bottom, links to all their
webpages.
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/igc_approved_frs.pdf

Position Recorders are Approved on a Country basis (not by IGC). For US the
only Position Recorders approved a

FlyWithCE Flight Recorder FR300 -
https://www.fai.org/sites/default/fi...al_ssa_v3a.pdf

FlyWithCE Flight Recorder - As far as I am aware, this unit is not longer
manufactured.

So in US, the only alternative to a fully fledged IGC Recorder is the
FlyWithCE Flight Recorder FR300 (which isn't a Flight Recorder, but a
Position Recorder).

All this information is available from https://www.fai.org/igc-documents

Old March 8th 18, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pieter Oosthuizen[_2_]

At 11:53 08 March 2018, Dan Daly wrote:
SeeYou Recorder is a free iPhone app that works with OLC.

Not free for Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?
id=com.naviter.seeyou&hl=en
"Please note: This is NOT a free App. You need a current SeeYou
Subscription in order to use all features of this softwa
http://www.naviter.com/important-upgrade-information/

Without the subscription you can try most of the features but you are
limited in how many flights you can open:
. Without SeeYou Cloud account you can only view the demo.igc
. With SeeYou Cloud account but without current SeeYou Subscripotion
you may upload and view 7 of your own flights"

Old March 8th 18, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:10:30 PM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:02:45 PM UTC-5, Mike Schumann wrote:
SeeYou Recorder is a free iPhone app that works with OLC.
I'm not sure if it can be used for badge flights.
The only down side is that it doesn't have an engine monitor,
so it can't be used with motorgliders.

Motor-glider owners are by definition less concerned with super low cost ;-(

Just because we like nice toys, doesn't necessarily mean that we aren't otherwise frugal.
Old March 8th 18, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 7:30:07 AM UTC-6, Pieter Oosthuizen wrote:
At 11:53 08 March 2018, Dan Daly wrote:
SeeYou Recorder is a free iPhone app that works with OLC.

Not free for Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?
id=com.naviter.seeyou&hl=en
"Please note: This is NOT a free App. You need a current SeeYou
Subscription in order to use all features of this softwa
http://www.naviter.com/important-upgrade-information/

Without the subscription you can try most of the features but you are
limited in how many flights you can open:
Without SeeYou Cloud account you can only view the demo.igc
With SeeYou Cloud account but without current SeeYou Subscripotion
you may upload and view 7 of your own flights"

You are talking about See You Mobile, not See You Recorder. See You recorder is only a flight recorder. It doesn't let you look at your flight traces at all. It is a free app.
Old March 8th 18, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Lowe

FlyWithCE Flight Recorder - As far as I am aware, this unit is not

longe
manufactured.

So in US, the only alternative to a fully fledged IGC Recorder is th
FlyWithCE Flight Recorder FR300 (which isn't a Flight Recorder, but
Position Recorder).

All this information is available from https://www.fai.org/igc-

documents

FR300 - recorders are still for sale on the manufactures website. They
are very simple to use, just turn it on. Charging is via any USB port, I
have tried to flatten the battery on one, but mine runs for 12+ hours
before needing changing.

http://www.flywithce.com/

Old March 8th 18, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

At 15:18 08 March 2018, David Lowe wrote:

FlyWithCE Flight Recorder - As far as I am aware, this unit is not

longe
manufactured.

So in US, the only alternative to a fully fledged IGC Recorder is th
FlyWithCE Flight Recorder FR300 (which isn't a Flight Recorder, but
Position Recorder).

All this information is available from https://www.fai.org/igc-

documents

FR300 - recorders are still for sale on the manufactures website. They
are very simple to use, just turn it on. Charging is via any USB port, I

have tried to flatten the battery on one, but mine runs for 12+ hours
before needing changing.

I never said the FR300 had seased production, just the earlier model.

http://www.flywithce.com/