Pegasus comparisons sought

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 20th 04, 05:05 AM
Ted Wagner

Default Pegasus comparisons sought

As I start to collect notes on what kind of glider I'm going to purchase later this year, and knowing I likely won't be able to test drive the models I'm most interested in, I'd like to get some comparisons to what I do have access to.

Last weekend I started flying a Pegasus 101A, and it looks like I'll be spending most of the next few months on this glider and a Grob 102.

I'm delighted with the limited time I've spent on the Pegasus so far, but a few quick observations a
a.. It doesn't seem to have much air brake range ... it would make me nervous on land-outs.
b.. The gear is sometimes tough to retract and lower. I'm fairly strong for my weight (160lbs), but it took some adrenaline to get the gear down after a two hour flight in cold weather. Probably peculiar to this particular glider. Still, getting the gear down is something I'd like to get done after a long flight with a cramp in the arm and strength to spare.
c.. I can't see the tow plane very well on tow. I can't see the rope at all when I put the wheels on the horizon. I don't know if this is normal or not on this kind of glider, but me, I like to see the rope. (I'm 5'11", and if I put a seat cushion under my arse, my cranium scraps the canopy.)
d.. I can't reach the canopy to close it after I'm strapped in. I have to delay attaching the shoulder straps until after the canopy is closed, or ask the line boy to hand me my lid.
e.. I can't check the instruments with the canopy open.
f.. The above two points wouldn't be a big deal, but I fly in Arizona, and closing the canopy is something you sneak in right about the time you waggle the rudder to the tow pilot. (Okay. You know what I mean.)
g.. The feet are close together on the rudder pedals, but the knees are separated by the instrument panel. After sitting a while, I feel a bit, well, bow-legged.
h.. Wheel brake on the stick. Hmmm. I'm sure there's a reason for that.
i.. The battery is not very accessable.
I'd like to know how common these observations are in the most popular birds (Discus 2x, AS-xxx, 304Cx, etc). The most important things to me are landoutability, being able to sit comfortably for hours at a time, and assembly. If anyone has experince with the Pegasus and other excellent gliders, I'd appreciate your own comments.

-ted