Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

Old October 30th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

Bruce Greef wrote:

I would apportion a certain amount of weight to Ben's observations.

But I still don't know what his observations were, only what his
conclusion is. Has he flown multple contests with top ranking pilots
flying ASW28's or is the conclusion based on just flying with one
unknown pilot at his/her local airport. I'm not trying to be
difficult. I'd really like to know how he reached this conclusion
particularly as it does not agree with my observations based on several
hundred hours in type.

Andy

Old October 31st 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

Tom Smith wrote:
Tom,

I'm happy to see that you share my view that the DG-303
is incomparably
better than the rest of the standard class field, and
that any disparity
in competition achievement is probably due to the relative
quality of
the pilots and/or numbers of aircraft built.

Jack,

You’re clearly suffering from a serious case of delusion!

Your equating the DG-303 with the 2006 Carerra GT in
their respective
fields was apt indeed, though the 'turd' reference
was perhaps a little
harsh on the competition.

I note that you are not a member of SSA. From what
material does one
usually build a glider in your corner of the universe?

Funny you should ask; the rest of the universe has
been wondering the same thing about your corner. We
had concluded that your glider manufacturers had discovered
how to isolate and work the ugly atom. Perhaps you
could confirm or dispel these rumours.

Many thanks,

Tom

See:

http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/

http://www.glidersport.net/

http://www.continuo.com/marske/

http://www.agcsc.org/sgs_1_34_info.html

http://www.windward-performance.com/

http://www.ssa.org/JohnsonLWBX/Genesis2%202000-03.pdf

The problem is not a lack of appreciation for either aerodynamics or
aesthetics, but a matter of production costs and exchange rates. Those
challenges will be overcome.

Jack
Old October 31st 06, 01:02 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Bruce Greef wrote:

I would apportion a certain amount of weight to Ben's observations.

But I still don't know what his observations were, only what his
conclusion is. Has he flown multple contests with top ranking pilots
flying ASW28's or is the conclusion based on just flying with one
unknown pilot at his/her local airport. I'm not trying to be
difficult. I'd really like to know how he reached this conclusion
particularly as it does not agree with my observations based on several
hundred hours in type.

Andy

Mr Flewett won the most recent GP in NZ against the worlds best pilots.
Find the google valve, Andy, and release some air into the vacuum around
your part of the world, you may find it refreshing.

Bagmaker
Old October 31st 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn

Jack wrote:
Tom Smith wrote:
[...]

We're sure taking care of the exchange rate portion of the problem :-p

Shawn

P.S. Happy Halloween! Of all the hijacked religious holidays, this one
has the best movies. :-)
Old October 31st 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

Shawn wrote:
Jack wrote:
Tom Smith wrote:
[...]

Not, obviously, by direct assault. Nanotech might do it, unless you
actually wanted a glider big enough for your body.

Jack
Old October 31st 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

Andy wrote:
Bruce Greef wrote:

I would apportion a certain amount of weight to Ben's observations.

But I still don't know what his observations were, only what his
conclusion is. Has he flown multple contests with top ranking pilots
flying ASW28's or is the conclusion based on just flying with one
unknown pilot at his/her local airport. I'm not trying to be
difficult. I'd really like to know how he reached this conclusion
particularly as it does not agree with my observations based on several
hundred hours in type.

Andy

Andy, you don't get in the top 100, let alone the top 10 IGC rank without doing
an enormous amount of very competitive flying. The differences between the top
aircraft is very small - far less than that between pilots. Various people
maintain that the variation within a production run of a particular glider is
larger than the nominal difference between different makes.

So again - my observation is that when it comes to those aspects of performance
that favour top contest pilots in winning contests it appears that the D2 and
LS8 have the current edge. This is partially a self perpetuating thing, as they
build confidence and experience in and demand for these models - the up and
comings look at their choices when deciding what to fly to be competitive (as
evidenced in this discussion)and go out and fly what the winners are flying. In
the broader type of flying that the average pilot will do it is not nearly as
clear which glider is better - because the question becomes "Better at what?".

So for example - my personal aircraft is the Standard Cirrus that cleaned up in
the Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and South African contest scene in 1970-71
in the hands of Ted Pearson. Top pilot, and the best glider at the time for
winning contests. As a current club class 36 year old, with me in the seat (less
competitive, less experienced, less talented, more fun XC oriented) there are
many of the aircraft it beat then, that are easier to live with. I even got
beaten by a Phoebus IIb in the last regionals. Bottom line - you have to be a
bit better to extract the most from the racing oriented design, but it does have
a little more to give. If you are able to extract that last 1% and the
compromises required to get it don't phase you then you know which is the "best"
design.

Flying against some other (newer) Std Cirri has shown wide variances, some are
worse, some are so much better as to make one wonder if this is the same design.

Off the point I suppose. Ben and others' view is that the Discus 2a is the best
design available for Standard Class racing. Given that this has to be at least
partially a subjective view, one can't really differ. If you vary the metric to
include any subset of
the best finish, or
longevity, or
ergonomics or
value for money or
safety or
comfort or
manufacturer support

or any other thing that is relevant to your decision then you can make a
meaningful comparison.

Discus 2b cockpit comfort? Jeremy Zawodny Soaring 11 January 12th 04 09:03 PM
[LBA] Schempp-Hirth - Discus bT - Discus Frederic FUCHS Soaring 0 September 17th 03 08:42 AM
All Czech built Discus grounded Paul Soaring 0 September 14th 03 02:22 AM
18m Discus Burt Compton Soaring 2 September 8th 03 10:52 AM
Discus Wing question John Galloway Soaring 6 August 23rd 03 07:52 AM