Spot vs Spot Connect

Old January 24th 12, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

Default Spot vs Spot Connect

Hello all you tech savie people.

Please explain in non-technical language the strengths / weaknesses /
differences between the Spot and the Spot Messenger.

Thanks for your help.

Guy "DDS"
Old January 24th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

I am suprised how quiet you guys are on this topic.
As I read and re-read the advertising it seems the only differences
a 1) the color of the units, 2) the configuration of the buttons,
3)the Spot Connect allows you to use your smart phone to send text
messages out via satellite in areas where there is no cell phone
coverage, 4) the Spot can send out custom text messages that you have
pre-configured on your computer. Am I missing anything?
Old January 24th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Jan 24, 4:04*pm, guy wrote:
I am suprised how quiet you guys are on this topic.
As I read and re-read the advertising it seems the only differences
a 1) the color of the units, 2) the configuration of the buttons,
3)the Spot Connect allows you to use your smart phone to send text
messages out via satellite in areas where there is no cell phone
coverage, 4) the Spot can send out custom text messages that you have
pre-configured on your computer. *Am I missing anything?

Guy, that is pretty much it. I've been using a SPOT1 since it first
came out, and once one gets used to the odd "switchology", it has
worked fine for me. I haven't felt the need to be able to send text
messages other than the custom SPOT messages - the custom ones suit me
just fine and are pretty easy to set up.

My wife won't let me fly without it - that says it all!

Kirk
66
Old January 24th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Guy, that is pretty much it. *I've been using a SPOT1 since it first
came out, and once one gets used to the odd "switchology", it has
worked fine for me. *I haven't felt the need to be able to send text
messages other than the custom SPOT messages - the custom ones suit me
just fine and are pretty easy to set up.

My wife won't let me fly without it - that says it all!

Kirk
66

I'll just add that I think a SPOT and a PCAS (or better, eventually,
PowerFLARM) are just about a no-brainer as far as being mandatory XC
equipment. I'll fly without a radio, but I always take my MRX and
SPOT...

Kirk
66
Old January 24th 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Guy,

The SPOT-2 has been very, very popular. I have sold only about 10 SPOT
Connect units. I think that is because it is nearly useless if your cell
phone battery dies. I recommend the SPOT-2.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/spot.htm

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old January 25th 12, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

We keep moving toward a total "Nanny State". SPOT and PCAS should be
mandantory for XC?. If it's that important for XC, is it any less
important to have PCAS near an airport where there's more traffic?
What about using APRS instead of SPOT? APRS position reports are more
reliable and the radio can provide two way communications, especially
in the eastern states where it's hard not to have APRS coverage.
Should we be required to carry a SPOT also? I don't argue the value of
having a traffic warning device and a position reporting system. What
I do take offense to is the "Mandatory for XC" idea. Should we also
pay a $100 per flight user fee? That could be mandatory.

Charlie

Old January 25th 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Jan 24, 6:36*pm, cfinn wrote:
We keep moving toward a total "Nanny State". SPOT and PCAS should be
mandantory for XC?. If it's that important for XC, is it any less
important to have PCAS near an airport where there's more traffic?
What about using APRS instead of SPOT? APRS position reports are more
reliable and the radio can provide two way communications, especially
in the eastern states where it's hard not to have APRS coverage.
Should we be required to carry a SPOT also? I don't argue the value of
having a traffic warning device and a position reporting system. What
I do take offense to is the "Mandatory for XC" idea. Should we also
pay a $100 per flight user fee? That could be mandatory.

Charlie

Relax, if you want to use APRS instead of SPOT, or carry a satellite
phone, knock yourself out. By "mandatory" I mean "essential for my
peace of mind".

My point was that there are lots of neat little gizmos out there that
can make our sport not only safer, but more fun - Wifey enjoys seeing
where I am on a long xc, and doesn't worry anymore about me wandering
around the wilds of Arizona.

Personally, my "mandatory" XC equipment list includes redundant GPS,
varios, batteries, a radio, ELT, SPOT, PCAS, PDA moving map software,
etc. I like using (or not, in the case of the ELT!) all the high tech
stuff.

Some luddites will complain that all this tech dilutes the pure
gliding experience. I disagree with that point of view. I enjoy
flying our club K-13 and open cockpit 1-26, but feel a lot more
comfortable in my LS6.

So chill, dude, I'm not calling for the Feds to force SPOT, PCAS, or
FLARM on all of us.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt if we all had those in our gliders, along
with radios - ESPECIALLY AROUND AIRPORTS!

Kirk
66
Old January 25th 12, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

I'll accept that explanation. We've had so many folks proposing this
and that be mandantory, I'm getting upset. After the tornadoes
yesterday, Birmingham, AL is proposing making it mandatory to have
helmets under of the beds of every family member. After all, you need
to protect your head if a tornado comes knocking while you're in bed!

If you feel something is necessary for your flight, I think that's
great. I certainly agree it's easier when the wife can follow your
flight. It reduces tension tremendously.

By the way, I probably have more high tech stuff in my play toy then
yours.It's fully IFR equipped with a Dynon D10 EFIS, Microair radio
and transponder, LX7000, Cambridge 302, HP310 with LK8000, and Yaesu
VX-8GR amateur handi talkie with GPS and APRS. I've been flying some
IFR flights with clearances from Atlanta approach and center. Of
course, I sometimes fly the club's K7. I think the newest piece of
technology on it is the yaw string!

Charlie

Old January 25th 12, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz

I have the Connect and must say it has been a real disappointment. overall this product was not very well tested before release. Battery usage is excessive, connection issues with the Bluetooth (required) are common, and the software (also required even to just start tracking) is buggy with a poor interface and has not been updated since they released it. If I had to do it all over again I would buy the Spot 2 as it would do everything I NEED with a much better user experience.

-karl
Old January 25th 12, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

Karl...THANK YOU!
Finally, someone provides some useful information.
I love tech toys but I am sick and tired of being a full dues paying
beta tester.

SPOT Connect Units now in stock Paul Remde Soaring 4 April 2nd 11 02:03 AM
SPOT Connect - Available February 2011 Paul Remde Soaring 7 January 8th 11 11:27 PM
Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
SPOT D.Rizzato Restoration 0 February 5th 08 12:46 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Owning 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM