GPS Ideas

Old December 6th 03, 07:58 PM
David Megginson

Tom Jackson wrote:

Waypoints along a route, towers, etc. (slightly out of date)
http://131.238.38.204/~sarangan/avia...min/index.html
More updated information, world-wide, no obstructions, GPX format, which may
need to be converted to a format for your import/export software (see
Topographix website): http://navaid.com/GPX/
FAA GeoTIFF sectionals: http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/
Oziexplorer: www.oziexplorer.com

The DAFIF includes world-wide coverage for larger airports and virtually all
navaids:

https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/index.cfm

The information is available both in fixed-length field files and in
tab-delimited files (suitable for importing into a spreadsheet). I've used
the DAFIF to generate custom GPS Canadian aviation databases.

The FAA database, which has more detail for the U.S. (but nothing for the
rest of the world), is available on a CD-ROM, but people occasionally make
online copies available. Here's a mirror of both the DAFIF and the FAA NASD:

http://ftp.umr.edu/pub/faa/

All the best,

David

Old December 6th 03, 09:44 PM
John Bell

which website do you use? Do you happen to have a list of
websites that offer these waypoints?

Gerald,

Hot of the press, try my site with my low tech solution: www.cockpitgps.com

John Bell

Old December 7th 03, 12:19 AM
resident cynic

I've read all the reponses available to date, ans I haven't seen any
recommendation for my favorite -- AnywhereMap. This software runs on a
many PPCs, and works really very well. It is explicitly designed for
aviation use, rather than being an auto/marine base with aviation overlays.

Look at www.anywheremap.com

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:32:09 -0600, "RD" wrote:

Good day,

Can someone give me an opinion on what type of GPS unit is good enough for
me. I'm a GA pilot, very low time, looking for a decent GPS to take along
for some X/C flying in the rentals. Just need to see highways and cities
etc. I'm not very worried about airspace as there isn't much around my local
airport and the charts do a good enough job.

1. Are basic GPS modules such as the ones you take camping/fishing good
enough?
2. What about PalmPilot/Windows CE based hand held units?
3. Is it worth buying a decent Garmin model?

What are your experiences?

Thanks,
Ryan

Old December 7th 03, 05:16 AM
David Johnson

My first experience with a GPS was to use a small non-aviation
unit (same as the small Lowrance, but sold under the Eagle brand
name). Propped it on the glareshield. It worked fine for a CAVU
flight (which that one w
as). Had to do my homework first, and
program in appropriate waypoints before flying.

Next I flew nearly all the way across the country and back, using
a borrowed Garmin GPS90. Overall, it was a fantastic improvement
in ease of navigation - but less than perfect. Lost signal once
just after takeoff into marginal visibility (it quickly came back,
and the visibility soon improved as well). Later on I noticed
that some of the airport identifiers on the moving map didn't
jibe with the Sectionals. This was to cause some consternation
toward the end of the trip when I was forced to divert due to
lowering clouds, rising terrain, and an SUA - all at once. The
alternate I had in mind wasn't identified in the GPS Database by
anything recognizable (and I didn't have time to solve the mystery
at that point). Fortunately, another alternate was both identifiable
and reachable. Afterwards I found out that the database was long
out of date, and a number of identifiers had been changed.

After that I had to have my own, and bought a Garmin GPS92. This
unit, used with an external antenna, has performed nearly flawlessly
for about four years. To me, having a database that allows instant
selection of any airport or navaid is worth it's weight in gold.
Almost all the homework has been done for you in advance. I do
occasionally use it to drive a mapping program running on my laptop.
Have only used this for ground navigation to date, since finding
a place for even a small laptop is difficult in a cockpit.

If I were starting again, I'd go for the Garmin 196. The pricetag
(about double the 92) has kept me from upgrading.

I haven't tried the PDA approach, so can't comment on it.

David Johnson
Old December 12th 03, 10:53 AM
Walter Kronester

Dear Ryan,
like you, I am also flying and soaring with rented planes. So I always carry
a handheld outdoor GPS with me. Now I am using a Garmin eTrex Vista, before
this I used an eTrex Summit and a GPS 12Map. The Vista is very small and
light, has a base map, and is able to store a long track log. Since I also
use it for mountain hiking, I like the included compass and barometric
altimeter.
I store airports and navaids of my area as user waypoints with the program
g7towin from Ron Henderson http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/. You will
find a good descripion of how to do and where to get from John Bell
http://www.cockpitgps.com/.
In fact I do not use the GPS unit inflight very often, but I love to have it
with me as a backup.
Best regards Walter