Registration Numbers

Old February 28th 13, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Default Registration Numbers

So I am scraping paint on my Ka-6, and I am getting to the point of
designing a new paint scheme.

First off am I correct in my interpretation that I can put 2" numbers on my
Ka-6 being older than 1981?

Second wasn't there an exemption from those regs anyway? I searches the SSA
site for this, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks

Peter
Old February 28th 13, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Yes you can use 2" numbers I'm pretty sure. The exemption which is now permanent in the regs is for external data plate.
Old February 28th 13, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 28, 3:01*pm, Peter von Tresckow wrote:
So I am scraping paint on my Ka-6, and I am getting to the point of
designing a new paint scheme.

First off am I correct in my interpretation that I can put 2" numbers on my
Ka-6 being older than 1981?

Second wasn't there an exemption from those regs anyway? I searches the SSA
site for this, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks

Peter

Look at 14CFR Part 45 sections 21-33 for regs

It is very clear that 3" is OK for gliders Part 45.29(b)(ii)

Part 45.22(b) seems to limit the antique use of 2" to experimental

I used 3" on my last project and did not worry about it.
Old February 28th 13, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:27:46 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Look at 14CFR Part 45 sections 21-33 for regs It is very clear that 3" is OK for gliders Part 45.29(b)(ii) Part 45.22(b) seems to limit the antique use of 2" to experimental I used 3" on my last project and did not worry about it.

45.22(b) says if it is small and over 30 years old, it can use 2 inch. The "or" in there is so that you could make a new plane that looks like an old plane and put 2 inch numbers on it. Not limited to just antique experimental.

Yes, Pete. You can use 2 inch high numbers. Google 14CFR, then look at Part 45. It will tell you all you ever wanted to know and then some. The only thing magical about 1981 is that for a short time, they permitted new planes to have 2 inch high numbers on them. And they can stay that way until the plane is re-painted.

Personally, I like the big numbers on the side of my Ka-6. Helps it look more sleek!

Steve