A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

JS1 Registration in the USA

Old October 7th 16, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Default JS1 Registration in the USA

On Friday, 7 October 2016 21:53:57 UTC+3, rianmonnahan wrote:

Yeah... this sounds like a plausible version of the events surrounding JS's certification efforts.

Even the Jonkers point to a political issue:

Cf. http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/art...ion-2015-07-24

It appears Jonkers thought instead of going for full EASA cert from the beginning, it would be easier and cheaper to change legislation to accept bilatelar cert between SA and EASA. Obviously this was a huge mistake by JS which cost them 5 years.

Now if EASA stalls normal certification process, it should be sued on the spot. I do know that it is not unheard of (case Robinson R66), to great shame of EASA, and it is simply unacceptable. But blanket statement that no foreign aircraft could not achieve certification is just childish. Cessna, Piper, Cirrus plus dozens of other manufacturers have absolutely no problems achieving EASA certification to their products.
Old October 7th 16, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 11:55:36 AM UTC-7, rianmonnahan wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 5:34:37 PM UTC+2, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Ah, I see now.

My next suggestion would be to just buy an ASG-29 and be done with it. Unless you are one of the best pilots, the difference between its performance and the performance of all but the longest-winged JS-1s will be unnoticeable.

Thanks, Bob K.

Agreed but I want the long wings. I have an ASG-29-15 right now.

Contact Uys Jonker and ask him. They're great folks and I'm sure he or a factory rep will happily answer all your questions. Leo is the rep here in the US. I'm sure he'd also be happy to answer any questions. I don't know the full story, but I know of at least one JS1C in Germany that I'm reasonably sure has D- registration. Relying on the motley bunch here on RAS isn't the most reliable option.

Cheers,
Craig

Old October 8th 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

If you're in the United States, then Leo should be the primary point of contact.
When wondering why International acceptance is taking so long, bear in mind that the JS1 was the first aircraft of any kind to go into serial manufacture in South Africa.
M+D is the European partner, and applying for EASA certification.
http://www.jonkersailplanes.de/js1/js1-in-europa/
Jim
Old October 8th 16, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

"The AD's author quite explicitly stated, "We don't pay much attention to things like that." He has no idea how close he came..... "

I know someone who has spent the last two years being jerked around by the powers that be in his country over his glider. At one point the government official told him that his new (EASA certified and in current production) was now, and forever will be a "lawn ornament"
Old October 8th 16, 11:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 3:53:16 PM UTC+13, JS wrote:
If you're in the United States, then Leo should be the primary point of contact.
When wondering why International acceptance is taking so long, bear in mind that the JS1 was the first aircraft of any kind to go into serial manufacture in South Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Oryx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denel_Rooivalk

??

Both developed from Aerospatiale Puma, but heavily modified and definitely made in South Africa.
Old October 8th 16, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rianmonnahan
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 12:38:49 AM UTC+2, Craig Funston wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 11:55:36 AM UTC-7, rianmonnahan wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 5:34:37 PM UTC+2, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Ah, I see now.

My next suggestion would be to just buy an ASG-29 and be done with it.. Unless you are one of the best pilots, the difference between its performance and the performance of all but the longest-winged JS-1s will be unnoticeable.

Thanks, Bob K.

Agreed but I want the long wings. I have an ASG-29-15 right now.

Contact Uys Jonker and ask him. They're great folks and I'm sure he or a factory rep will happily answer all your questions. Leo is the rep here in the US. I'm sure he'd also be happy to answer any questions. I don't know the full story, but I know of at least one JS1C in Germany that I'm reasonably sure has D- registration. Relying on the motley bunch here on RAS isn't the most reliable option.

Cheers,
Craig

Hi,

I've written Leo, I've written the FAA. I'm still waiting for a definitive answer which I suspect will be NET. The issue is obtaining a Standard CoA for a US registered JS1-C.

And I agree, I've had nothing but good contacts with the people at Jonkers and M&D. They are nice people and the product is fantastic.

I would not put my hand to the fire but I think the only gliders flying with D- registration are JS1 M&D Singles under a German Permit to Fly. There are plenty of JS1s flying with ZS registration in Europe.

Cheers

Old October 8th 16, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rianmonnahan
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 8:22:21 AM UTC+2, wrote:
"The AD's author quite explicitly stated, "We don't pay much attention to things like that." He has no idea how close he came..... "

I know someone who has spent the last two years being jerked around by the powers that be in his country over his glider. At one point the government official told him that his new (EASA certified and in current production) was now, and forever will be a "lawn ornament"

This is exactly what I want to avoid.
Old October 9th 16, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 3:18:26 AM UTC-7, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 3:53:16 PM UTC+13, JS wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Oryx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denel_Rooivalk

??

Both developed from Aerospatiale Puma, but heavily modified and definitely made in South Africa.

OK you got me on military manufacturing. Should have been GA aircraft.
There are likely some microlights too.
Have either helicopter received CAA certification? How long did it take?
Jim