A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hawk Wind



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 27th 21, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Hawk Wind

Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?
Ads
  #2  
Old April 27th 21, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 668
Default Hawk Wind

On Tuesday, 27 April 2021 at 20:27:19 UTC+3, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?


Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.
  #3  
Old April 28th 21, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 257
Default Hawk Wind

Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.

Priceless!
  #4  
Old April 28th 21, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 99
Default Hawk Wind

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 7:01:34 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.
Priceless!



to read installation manual = admitting defeat?

Asking for a friend

Sean
  #5  
Old April 28th 21, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,939
Default Hawk Wind

On 4/27/2021 1:08 PM, krasw wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 April 2021 at 20:27:19 UTC+3, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?


Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.


It is a funny remark, but doesn't apply in this case.

Have you read the Butterfly installation manual? I have read it, I have
installed a Butterfly vario, and it was a challenge, even though I worked as an
electrical engineer for decades. It's not like the olden days, when a vario had
two wires for the battery, and one pressure port for the TE tubing.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
  #6  
Old April 29th 21, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default Hawk Wind

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 11:54:08 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/27/2021 1:08 PM, krasw wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 April 2021 at 20:27:19 UTC+3, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?


Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.

It is a funny remark, but doesn't apply in this case.

Have you read the Butterfly installation manual? I have read it, I have
installed a Butterfly vario, and it was a challenge, even though I worked as an
electrical engineer for decades. It's not like the olden days, when a vario had
two wires for the battery, and one pressure port for the TE tubing.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1

Take a look at the LXNAV user group:
LXNav Soaring Glider Equipment User Discussion Group

They have been chatting on this for a while.
  #7  
Old April 29th 21, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 668
Default Hawk Wind

On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 at 18:54:08 UTC+3, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Have you read the Butterfly installation manual? I have read it, I have
installed a Butterfly vario, and it was a challenge, even though I worked as an
electrical engineer for decades. It's not like the olden days, when a vario had
two wires for the battery, and one pressure port for the TE tubing.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1


Yes I have, and I have installed that variometer to two different gliders. Both cases required fabrication of shelf for ISU to install it far away from magnetic disturbances, as warned in the manual. It worked and works beautifully in both cases.

I have heard few anecdotes of pilots complaining that vario not working. In one case I checked the installation (it was during WGC). The ISU was just thrown behind the panel with absolutely no flying f*cks given to proper installation. That pilot went on to bash it for three weeks.

Hope the LX installs itself.
  #8  
Old April 29th 21, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,134
Default Hawk Wind

It does not sound like an inertial solution, but rather a more sophisticated pneumatic and magnetic calculation. It will be interesting to compare it to a Butterfly. In their paper, they erroneously claim that no instant wind calculation method existed before theirs - marketing I guess.
On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:27:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?

  #9  
Old April 30th 21, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,439
Default Hawk Wind

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 3:15:36 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
It does not sound like an inertial solution, but rather a more sophisticated pneumatic and magnetic calculation. It will be interesting to compare it to a Butterfly. In their paper, they erroneously claim that no instant wind calculation method existed before theirs - marketing I guess.
On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:27:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?


The LXNAV LX8xxx and LX9xxx have all of the inertial sensors (accelerometers and rate gyros) in the unit. You can purchase the artificial horizon AHRS option as a (somewhat expensive) software key:
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/stor...av-ahrs-enable

Tom
  #10  
Old April 30th 21, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,939
Default Hawk Wind

On 4/29/2021 3:15 PM, jfitch wrote:
It does not sound like an inertial solution, but rather a more sophisticated pneumatic and magnetic calculation. It will be interesting to compare it to a Butterfly. In their paper, they erroneously claim that no instant wind calculation method existed before theirs - marketing I guess.
On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:27:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?


I don't think it uses magnetic sensing, as it does not require the optional
compass. So, it's all inertial and GPS, and I think doing it without a compass
was an important goal. 990eur for wind equal to the Butterfly, and a AHRS, is at
reasonable price for me. A separate AHRS is in the $800-$1000 range, so I'd bet
getting the Hawk features for about $200-$400 dollars with the Hawk/AHRS.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boeing T-7 Red Hawk pics [1/5] - Cockpit-do-T-7A-Red-Hawk-produzido-pela-Elbit-Systems-US.jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 October 9th 19 02:30 PM
Vector Wind, Relative Wind calculation C 302/303 [email protected] Soaring 2 December 9th 08 08:23 PM
Wind tunnel, Germany WWII (or close) - wind-tunnel-test.jpg (1/1) JR[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 13th 08 09:36 PM
Wind tunnel, Germany WWII (or close) - wind-tunnel-test.jpg (0/1) JR[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 13th 08 09:35 PM
It Was 103 Years Ago This Week - First flight of first motor machine, Dec. 17, 1903, near Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, N.C. Against a wind of 24 miles an hour.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 December 18th 06 03:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.