Finding Rentals

Old July 23rd 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland[_1_]

Default Finding Rentals

Is there a website which makes it easy to find a rental in a city and/or
at an airport of your choosing? The plane I trained in was fine for
training but it's a well used trainer. For local flights, I'm okay with
using it but for some longer flights I'd prefer to rent something else.
The flight school I'm at does have other craft, but not at prices I'm
willing to way. Besides, most of those "other" are complex and I do not
have my complex endorcement. And so, I'm left wondering if there is an
easy way to locate planes to rent? Any such site?

Greg

Old July 23rd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Greg Copeland wrote:

Is there a website which makes it easy to find a rental in a city and/or
at an airport of your choosing? The plane I trained in was fine for
training but it's a well used trainer. For local flights, I'm okay with
using it but for some longer flights I'd prefer to rent something else.
The flight school I'm at does have other craft, but not at prices I'm
willing to way. Besides, most of those "other" are complex and I do not
have my complex endorcement. And so, I'm left wondering if there is an
easy way to locate planes to rent? Any such site?

If you specify a city or town, the folks on this group can refer you to
specific recommendations as to FBO's to contact.
If renting from an FBO, count on a minimum two-hour check out flight
before they will rent to you. Call ahead and make an appointment for the
time you will be there. Ask what paperwork and proof of insurance you
need to bring.
Old July 23rd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:17:40 GMT, john smith wrote:

In article ,
Greg Copeland wrote:

[...]

Why a 2 hour check, depends on the pilot?
I did the 1 hour minimum in Honolulu and they completed my BFR and let
me rent a C172. More important was the ground school as I was not
familiar with Class B operation as I'm from UK. Twice only 1 hour at
Titusville in Florida before flying to Bahamas and 30 mins in Venice
Florida before flying along the coast and to the Keys.

Has something changed?

David
Old July 23rd 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland[_1_]

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:17:40 +0000, john smith wrote:

In article ,
Greg Copeland wrote:

[...]

I'm expecting a 1-2 hour check out. Speaking of which, can you share with
me what to expect? Just proof that I can competently fly and time to
become familair with the plane? Or something more involved from the PTS?

I'd love to have some options from KDTO. I did my training at 52F; as
such, that's where I've been renting. But KDTO is about half the
distance for me. I've already started checking into renting from US
Flight Academy (http://www.usflightacademy.com/iFacility-Denton.htm), as
they are only 15 minutes from my house. I drove around there yesteday and
they were the only place I could find. A year ago there were three or
four smaller players there too but couldn't find any signs this trip. The
airport has a tower (VFR, IIRC), is pretty clean, has new hangars being
built, etc...in other words, is growing nicely. As such, I was expecting
to find more out there. Anyone know if I missed anyone?

In fact, if I pull the trigger on purchasing a plane at years end, that's
where I intend to keep it.

Greg

Old July 23rd 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Greg Copeland wrote:

[...]

If you're in AOPA you can search the airport database for an area and
specify withn a range. Then look at FBO's, many have websites.
That's what I do whenever I visit the USA.

David
Old July 23rd 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Greg Copeland wrote:

[...]

I have been told it is for insurance purposes.
When I rented in Oregon five years ago, I was keeping the aircraft
overnight on a multiday trip, which may also be another reason for the
two hours.

I am pleased to hear some areas are only 1 hour or less. Where those
local only flights?
Old July 23rd 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland[_1_]

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:54:36 +0100, NOSPAM wrote:
[snip]

If you're in AOPA you can search the airport database for an area and
specify withn a range. Then look at FBO's, many have websites.
That's what I do whenever I visit the USA.

David

Good idea. Thanks!

Greg

Old July 23rd 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Greg Copeland wrote:

become familair with the plane? Or something more involved from the PTS?

I'd love to have some options from KDTO. I did my training at 52F; as
such, that's where I've been renting. But KDTO is about half the
distance for me. I've already started checking into renting from US
Flight Academy (http://www.usflightacademy.com/iFacility-Denton.htm), as
they are only 15 minutes from my house. I drove around there yesteday and
they were the only place I could find. A year ago there were three or
four smaller players there too but couldn't find any signs this trip. The
airport has a tower (VFR, IIRC), is pretty clean, has new hangars being
built, etc...in other words, is growing nicely. As such, I was expecting
to find more out there. Anyone know if I missed anyone?

Have you tried Flight Line? I'm not sure if it's the same Flight Line
at ADS (I wasn't impressed with them at ADS at all) but it's worth a
try. I think US Flight Academy is strictly a pilot mill...but that's
all the info I have on DTO. It's a little too far for me to drive.

I'm guessing though, since the tower just opened recently, there's
something out there, you just need to look.

Old July 23rd 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Greg Copeland wrote:

I'm expecting a 1-2 hour check out. Speaking of which, can you share with
me what to expect? Just proof that I can competently fly and time to
become familair with the plane? Or something more involved from the PTS?

What I had to do was like a BFR, demonstrate types of landings and
takeoffs, stalls, etc.
Old July 23rd 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

john smith wrote:
In article ,
Greg Copeland wrote:

I'm expecting a 1-2 hour check out. Speaking of which, can you share with
me what to expect? Just proof that I can competently fly and time to
become familair with the plane? Or something more involved from the PTS?

What I had to do was like a BFR, demonstrate types of landings and
takeoffs, stalls, etc.

I've had checkouts like that, and checkouts where the guy just had me
land twice. Oddly, the landing twice was in a twin, and the BFR type
checkout was a 172. I don't know.