Operation Chastise - Lancaster B1 engine servicing

Old May 27th 09, 11:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert Sveinson

Default Operation Chastise - Lancaster B1 engine servicing

"The Raven" wrote in message
"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
news
"Dave Kearton" wrote in message

Merlin?

Was there any other engine for the Lanc? I'm not trying to be smart but if
there was another engine type for the Lanc I've never heard of it.

There were radial engined Lancasters as well!

Old May 28th 09, 03:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Wed, 27 May 2009 08:12:31 -0400, Mitchell Holman wrote
(in article ):

"Dave Kearton" wrote in news:6l6Tl.44435
:

Dress uniforms to do engine work?

Posed pix. Nothing to do with reality.

Old May 28th 09, 12:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Conscious Pilate[_3_]

for the general edification of the group

see ya

Conscious Pilate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JB_Avro_Ghost_Lancastrian.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	35162  Click image for larger version

Name:	JB_Avro_Lancaster_B_II.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	35163
Old May 28th 09, 01:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Thu, 28 May 2009 07:15:15 -0400, Conscious Pilate wrote
(in article ):

for the general edification of the group

see ya

Conscious Pilate

The first pic was one of several different Lancs used as test beds for
turbojets or turboprops after the war (note post-war colour scheme and
roundels; this one was, I think, a Lancastrian I, with Rolls-Royce Nene
motors in the outer nacelles). The second was a Lanc B II, with Bristol
Hercules engines. That particular machine has a bulged bomb-bay and a
daylight camouflage scheme. It might, I think, be a post-war pic of a machine
on maritime recon duty, carrying depth charges, anti-submarine torpedoes, and
a life rift in the bomb-bay. I can't tell much, the pic has been edited to
remove the squadron identification markings and the serial number.

Other Lancs fitted with jets included a B II which flew as a test aircraft
during the war, with a jet in the fuselage.
http://tanks45.tripod.com/Jets45/Histories/Lancaster/Lancaster.htm

Note that the specs on the page are for a B I, when the top pic is a B II.
Note also that they spelled 'Nene' as 'Nean'.

Old May 28th 09, 02:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF[_2_]

"Conscious Pilate" wrote in message
for the general edification of the group

see ya

Conscious Pilate

Is it my eyes or are the Lancastrian's props feathered?

--

Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF
Innisfail

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090527-0, 27/05/2009
Tested on: 28/05/2009 11:03:45 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JB_Avro_Ghost_Lancastrian.jpg (138.2 KB, 44 views)